The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Airline Pro
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 6:42 am    

Has anyone had a chance to try or hear the Airline Pro model with the string through pickup?

Carl Smile
Now have a SX 6 string lap in G,.A Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic.Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider,and an Allan tailpiece.Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD,using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal,set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just got a Fender Dual 6 Stringmaster style. Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it.

Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 8:06 am    

I've seen the Pro model and they are still using that unnecessary uglier than heck adjustable bridge.
That is the reason I have not considered an Airline lap. It may not bother some folks but it's like a sliver in a finger to me.
Just give me a nice machined bridge out of aluminum, brass, whatever.
A lot of folks disagree but I do not like them.
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.

Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 12:59 pm    

that bridge probably cost them $3-4. thats why they are using it. they would never spend the money to have the bridge cast or machined from one solid piece of metal.

now if you can get past the visual, a nice heavy CAST adjustable bridge with the strings coming up through the body would be acceptable. it would offer good sustain and you could actually adjust the height of the strings to compensate and also you can temper any strings you wanted to in the tuning. unfortunately the one used on this airline "looking" guitar looka as cheap as you can get.

i looked at all the specs on these instruments. i would never purchase one as they are made of basswood. basswood is too light and soft for a lap steel. just my opinion, but when you look back at the original rics and nationals and airlines etc from back decades ago.....you wont see many basswood guitars. why is that?? now a days things are different. most players dont know the difference. just my opinion....your mileage may vary.

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 6 Apr 2021 2:18 pm    

Unfortunately Eastwood appear to be all about STYLE, They just put together elements of less mainstream vintage models.
That bridge should not exist IMHO. It was introduced on Squier hardtail strats to avoid drilling stringthough holes and tends to rattle badly.

As far as the pickup goes, I'd be interested to know whether it is a real Valco stringthru design or just a handrest over a cheap pickup.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2021 7:20 am    

Karen Sarkisian is returning her Airline. Not the Pro, but here is her third post in this thread:

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=368692&sid=aa9bc96ced32234440e6777b3890a10c

Karen Sarkisian wrote:
sure. i bought an eastwood airline. it sounds okay but when i went to change the strings the whole thing fell apart, plastic nut came off, sprngs holding the bridge saddles fell off as well. its going back, hopefully i will get a full refund.

Karen Sarkisian

Boston, MA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2021 3:51 am    

yes i returned it. not a $500 guitar IMO. sounded okay but completely fell apart when I went to change the strings on it. ended up going with an 8 string georgeboard.