The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  George L cable vs Canare GS-4 instrument/keyboard cable
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2021 11:27 am    

Has anyone used the Canare GS-4 instrument cable?

https://www.markertek.com/product/gs-4-bk/canare-gs-4-guitar-keyboard-instrument-cable-by-the-foot-black

It appears it's dia. (.157) is close to the same dia. as the George L .155 cable and the shielding is very similar.

Just wondering if this Canare GS-4 offering reduces the highs that so are prevalent in George L cable.

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 5:55 am    

Check out this capacitance chart: http://www.shootoutguitarcables.com/guitar-cables-explained/capacitance-chart.html

Assuming that higher capacitance contributes to loss of high frequencies, the Canare GS-4 cables will reduce the highs more than George L.
George L .155 = 67 pF per meter
Canare GS-4 = 154 pF per meter

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 8:03 am    

Carlos Santana uses 50' of the Canare cable on stage, not because he needs to move so far away from his pedal board, but because 50' of the Canare gives him the sound he wants.

I wired my studio with Canare star quad cable decades ago because the guy who built Michael McDonald's studio nearby swore it was best. At the same time I built Canare instrument cables and have used them since without complaint, though I have no experience with the George L brand.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 8:49 am    

I'm a big fan of Carare cable. I just ordered a few more of them from Markertek and threw away another non working George L.

George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 9:36 am    

Been using Canare GS-6. I never tried the GS-4. But i love the Canare GS-6. Mogami w2524 isn't too bad neither. I actually git more orders for builds on the Mogami w2524, then i do the Canare GS-6. Gonna have to try the GS-4 now. Very Happy

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 9 Apr 2021 10:47 am    

Bob Hoffnar wrote:
I'm a big fan of Carare cable. I just ordered a few more of them from Markertek and threw away another non working George L.

+1!!!!

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 10:13 am    

I have purchased hundreds of feet of Canare (dunno if it's GS-4, GS-6, GS-10, or GS-5000) cable from Markertek over the last couple years. Since it's marketed in a rainbow of colors, I use different colors for different lengths and applications. Since I've never found any of my instruments or amplifiers to be lacking on the upper end of the sound spectrum, it sounds fine to my decrepit old ears. Thanks for turning me on to both Canare and Markertek, Stebun. It's good stuff, with lotsa bang for the buck at 41 cents a foot.

Steven Paris

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 10:51 am    

Yes it is! And you are welcome, Jack-O!
How's the San Luis Valley Lap Steel Rescue Society doin' these days?

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 11:11 am    

Canare GS-6 is terrific with Neutrik plugs !

Last edited by Chris Boyd on 12 Apr 2021 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 11 Apr 2021 12:50 pm    

Steven Paris wrote:
How's the San Luis Valley Lap Steel Rescue Society doin' these days?

As has been the rule rather than the exception lately, my work is presently in a holding pattern. I am eagerly awaiting multiple deliveries from the once functional government agency known as the United State Postal Service.

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 4:43 am    

Chris Boyd wrote:
Canare GS-6 is terrific with Neutrix plugs !

All I have used for some years, and VERY happy...

I tend to stick with the Black-covered GS-6 version, but use the Neutrik colo(u)red jackplug ferrules that are available to identify which cables go where...

...and yes, GS-6 is a LOT more than 41c/foot in Oz... Rolling Eyes ...try $6.59(Oz)/metre !

Peter

Jeff Highland

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2021 2:47 pm    

I use the GS-6 instrument cable and the GS-4 for patch cables between effects because it is more flexible. Make sure you strip back the semiconductive black layer under the braided copper shield so that it is away from the live connection.
2008 Highland Baritone Weissenborn
2020 Highland New Yorker.
2020 Highland Mohan Veena
2021 Highland Weissencone

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2021 1:21 pm    

I made all of my cables with green Canare GS-6 and Switchcraft plugs. It’s great cable. The color lets me identify my cables out of all the black ones.

MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Steve Rosko

Georgetown, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2021 8:54 am    

Are the Neutrik plugs soldered to the cable or are they some sort of press fit like the George L's?

Peter Harris

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 6:03 am    

Steve Rosko wrote:
Are the Neutrik plugs soldered to the cable or are they some sort of press fit like the George L's?

Soldered, Steve....
...and while it's not rocket surgery, there IS a correct way to do it.

The details are online here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndak05ds5_k

HTH
Peter

Matthew Walton

Fort Worth, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 2:20 pm    

I have a 10' cable with the GS-4 and NP2X ends; I really like it. The diameter does make me worry about it breaking or kinking, but I've been using it off and on for the past 10 years and it's been fine so far. The capacitance is certainly an argument against it though.

I started making my own cables from Canare L-3C2VS, 75 Ohm video cable. It has a capacitance of 67 pF/m, is decently thin, and decently flexible. Unfortunately I guess they stopped distributing that to the US, because you can't buy it by the foot anymore, just special order 200 m spools (and I can't say I haven't considered it).

However I did just notice that Markertek sells Canare L-2.5CHW, which is made for flexibility, almost as thin as the GS-4, and only 53 pF/m. Not that I think the extra 14 pF/m will make a difference, just that it's low and theoretically flexible. I will order some from Markertek and report back for those curious.

Also thanks for that video, Peter. I've been soldering those NP2X connectors for a while, but the note about keeping the shield flat and twisting only the end made me slap my forehead; I can't believe I never thought of that!

1981 MSA "The Universal" 9/5 | 2009 MSA S-12 SuperSlide | Peavey Nashville 112

Peter Harris

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2021 11:14 pm    

Matthew Walton wrote:
I have a 10' cable with the GS-4 and NP2X ends; I really like it. The diameter does make me worry about it breaking or kinking, but I've been using it off and on for the past 10 years and it's been fine so far. The capacitance is certainly an argument against it though.

Also thanks for that video, Peter. I've been soldering those NP2X connectors for a while, but the note about keeping the shield flat and twisting only the end made me slap my forehead; I can't believe I never thought of that!

Yes...I love those forehead-slapping moments - they seem to happen more often as I get older !

I stick to GS-6 because I worry about GS-4's strength in a stage situation...
...although no matter HOW hard I try (coiling cables the correct way!) I end up having the GS-6 'retaining' its coiled shape somewhat and acting like a built-in trip wire on the stage...

Had to build another lead for a different piece of gear a couple of months ago and found I didn't have enough GS-6 left in the box...found that my supplier (here in Oz) was out of stock with no idea of restocking time thanks to COVID, and gritted what's left of my teeth and bought some Mogami #2524 instead....

...what a breath of fresh air !!!!!!

The Mogami lies flat every time I lay it out and (on an A/B test with my ears) didn't seem to color or change the signal in any way .... time will tell how it stands up over time, but I will say I am very satisfied so far...

...just saying.. Smile

Cheers,
Peter