The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Eminence 15" speaker - thoughts?
Michael Ball

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2021 6:49 pm    

Hi All
I'm a fiddle player really though I just traded an electric bass for my first lap steel. I'm someone who's has alway s preferred to play through an amp in live band situations and over the years I gravitated to very similar gear to what steel players use and no regrets. That's how I discovered the forum in the first place.
So I have a cabinet similar in size to a Fender Bassman with the baffle cut for a single 15". I am considering an Eminence Delta 15. I noticed there are a couple of models available a"pro" model with a cast basket and larger magnet. Then the regular Delta 15 with a pressed steel basket and smaller magnet and about 5lb.lighter overall. The specs, look fairly similar. Anybody have any thoughts.

My regular amp is a quilter steelaire combo and before that it was a Nashville 400.. so I like the 15's and I'm used to them.

Thanks so much for any input you care to share, Michael.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2021 9:29 am    

I have a Jim Webb 15 inch cabinet loaded with an Emminence 15 inch speaker. Not sure of the model. I believe he went to Emmnence speakers after JBL`s were no longer available. Sounds fine to me.

Michael Ball

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 1:58 pm    

Thanks for the reply, that's good news. Eminence speakers are readily available here so it would be easy at least.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 5:45 am     Eminence 15

My Evans SE 200 stock speaker was a Delta Lite. I didn't care for it. I replaced it with a 15-C and liked it much better. I then replaced the 15-C with a 12" Wheelhouse 150. I like it better than any speaker I've ever had, including JBL D-130, E-130, TT-12, and PF 350. A friend had the 15" Wheelhouse 200, but thought it was too bright.

I made my own 15" to 12" adapter ring using a router, but Mojotone sells them ready made.

A J Head

Compton Ca
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2021 1:13 pm    

Has anyone compared the Cannabis Rex with the Wheelhouse speaker? both use hemp cones

Mike Holder

Alabama! Home of the great “Don Helms” & his singer “Hank Williams”!
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 7:25 am     Eminence

I recommend the Eminence PF-400 15”, you can buy directly from Eminence and it is an incredibly transparent speaker! Sounds great for steel so should work for fiddle.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2021 2:38 pm     Re: Eminence 15

George Kimery wrote:
My Evans SE 200 stock speaker was a Delta Lite. I didn't care for it. I replaced it with a 15-C and liked it much better. I then replaced the 15-C with a 12" Wheelhouse 150. I like it better than any speaker I've ever had, including JBL D-130, E-130, TT-12, and PF 350. A friend had the 15" Wheelhouse 200, but thought it was too bright.

I made my own 15" to 12" adapter ring using a router, but Mojotone sells them ready made.

I had a Delta Lite that I didn't like either. But I've had regular ceramic magnet Eminence speakers that sounded great. All in all, I'm just not a fan of the neo-magnet speakers, except when it comes time to lift them. I have a TT-12 and a PF 350, and to me, the PF just has a lot more of what I like in a speaker. But it weighs a ton....

Dave

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 4:26 pm    

I upgraded to Eminence Texas Heat....super sound.... Very Happy

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2021 4:32 pm    

Eminence Double T-15 ... Travis Toy's Signature Model Speaker... Pretty SWEET, and a BIG improvement over the 15 EPS, IMHO
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Steve Sycamore

Sweden
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2021 12:48 am    

For what it's worth I've just added a reconed D130 to an open back cabinet that's a little larger than a 2 x 12 and combined that with a 2 x 12 cabinet with 2 Celestion Cream Alnico speakers. The idea was to get a modern take on Steve Howe's early 70's setup. The Celestion Creams feel and sound similar to D120F's but are both more vintage sounding and more modern in terms of flexibility. They are also exceptionally articulate.

The result is dynamite! Both high gain sounds and very clean sounds sound superb like I've never heard from anyone before. All of the full depth and beauty from Steve Howe's early setup is there in immense proportions.

I suspect other 15" speakers such as the 15-C or even one of the Alnico 15 inch'ers currently in production would also work well. Has anyone tried one of the Alnico's?