The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Twangiest pickups
Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 11:27 am    

Suppose you wanted a super twangy lap steel. What pickup(s) would you use? I'm thinking of going down this road Smile

Cliff

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 2:17 pm    

I haven't tried them, but revived ZB-style pickups are available from a Forum member, just can't remember his name. ZB's had that twang in spades.

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 2:34 pm    

Quote:
but revived ZB-style pickups are available from a Forum member, just can't remember his name. ZB's had that twang in spades.

Scott Swartz make them
https://www.steeltronics.com

Old Fenders get pretty twangy as well...just as much if not more

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 2:42 pm    

True Dave, getting that twang on modern psg's isn't easy. I plan to buy a 12-string pickup from Scott in the near future. Thanks for posting the link!

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 3:22 pm    

Thanks John and Dave. I'm interested in a 6-string pickup and I don't see any on the Steeltronics site.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 7:08 pm    

Jerry Sentell can make just about anything you want

https://sentellpickups.net/Steel.html

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2021 9:21 pm    

Sorry Cliff, I guess I didn’t read your post thoroughly.

Jason Lollar makes good lap steel pickups...maybe this one?
https://www.lollarguitars.com/lollar-steel-guitar-pickups/chicago-steel

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 4:49 am    

....actually Steetronics does offer a 6 string pickup called the B6...not sure how twangy it is though. Check it out:
https://www.steeltronics.com/product/b6-string-through-pickup

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 6:56 am    

Thanks Dave! Still looking. The problem is most pickup demos are made using a fairily overdriven tone. I have lap steels that play that role quite well to my liking. I'm also interested in something more twangy/bouncy...if that makes sense.

I appreciate your responses, regardless.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 8:20 am    

You can maybe do that with some kind of stomp box. Very Happy
Erv

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 10:27 am    

My Fender Champs have *too* much 'twang'... ice-picky, really.

I understand that they use Musicmaster pickups... so a lower-impedance single coil is what you want. 5-7kOhms.

You can reduce the twang by loading the pickup... Sarno makes a box just for that.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 2:25 pm    

For 6 string, how about a Tele or Strat pickup. Do either of those have the twang you're looking for?
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2021 2:33 pm    

Thanks everyone.

I've given the Tele pickup some thought as well. I have a Cavalier Hydra Lion, which would offer the extra virtue of three selectable voices.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2021 6:32 pm    

You might try getting one of the custom winders to wind you one in the range of 8000-10,000K. Be aware you're not going to get as much gain as with 17,000-2000, but it should be enough with an amp with sufficient power. A plus is you will get more variance in tone from your amp as the pickup will not exhibit as much character of its own.

Last edited by Clyde Mattocks on 13 Mar 2021 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 9:13 am    

Everybody needs a good laugh nowadays, so I'll throw this out there just to put a little levity in y'all's lives. Filtertrons are very versatile and seemingly often overlooked for six string guitars. They can sound twangy and bright or deep and bluesey. I have wondered if a Filtertron or one of its clones is viable for lap steel. Let the guffaws commence.

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 4:09 pm    

Not a laughing matter at all Jim Smile . I have a one pickup partscaster with a Filtertron in it that I play as a lap steel with a nut riser. I love it's tone and have been able to milk a couple of different voices out of it with pedals through a Twin. That guitar was sitting around all lonely in a corner until I rigged it as a lap steel and now it's played often. Good idea!

Jim Cooley wrote:
Everybody needs a good laugh nowadays, so I'll throw this out there just to put a little levity in y'all's lives. Filtertrons are very versatile and seemingly often overlooked for six string guitars. They can sound twangy and bright or deep and bluesey. I have wondered if a Filtertron or one of its clones is viable for lap steel. Let the guffaws commence.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 9:49 pm     Re: Twangiest pickups

Cliff Swanson wrote:
Suppose you wanted a super twangy lap steel. What pickup(s) would you use? I'm thinking of going down this road Smile

Cliff

I built this steel a while back and used a Fender Telecaster pickup, just the right amount of "Twang"!

I notched the ashtray bridge, at the first string change, it works much better now!

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Last edited by John Drury on 13 Mar 2021 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 2:30 am    

That's a nice looking steel, John! The more I consider this the more I like the idea of a Tele pickup.

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 7:13 am    

Cliff Swanson wrote:
That's a nice looking steel, John! The more I consider this the more I like the idea of a Tele pickup.

Thanks Cliff! I put that thing together from stuff laying around the shop! Finish is rattle canned.Body is 2 X 4's glued together. One of the finer sounding steels that I ever had!

The 24 1/4 inch Emmons scale length gives it a little bit of a growl, can't really explain it but it sounds cool through my Princeton when I put it in the kitchen!

I put that thing together for under 50 bucks!

I have another one that I slapped together a while back that sounds awesome! Just a piece of pressure treated 2 X 4 with a 24 inch scale length SHO~BUD fretboard and a Tele Tex-Mex pickup as well. I call it the "SHO~STUD", ha!.

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2021 11:05 pm    

Cliff Swanson wrote:
Thanks Dave! Still looking. The problem is most pickup demos are made using a fairily overdriven tone. I have lap steels that play that role quite well to my liking. I'm also interested in something more twangy/bouncy...if that makes sense.

I appreciate your responses, regardless.

I have the Steeltronics B6 in a Georgeboards steel, and love it. If you check out the demos on the Steeltronics site, they're crystal clear, not overdriven at all.

I have a couple Supro string-thru's as well, and while they're more gritty, the B6 is "twangy" and crisp. Don't confuse them. You won't be disappointed.

Also, Scott told me he can make 6 string versions of most of his pickups. Just need to ask.

(PS.....the B6 CAN do overdriven extremely well, also, if you use a pedal or driven amp).

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 5:28 pm    

Thanks for your input, Jim. I'll check out the B6 pickup.

Cappone dAngelo

Vancouver, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2021 5:45 pm    

Jim Cooley wrote:

I recently built a 6-string lap steel and tried a few different pickups I had laying around (including P90s and Burstbuckers) and FilterTrons were my favourite. That said, I may be a bit biased as I'm a huge fan of Gretsches with FilterTrons ...