The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  looping a specific section in 2nd chorus
Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 8:29 am    

I'm working on a piece of music that has different melodies each time through the chord progression. I've entered the sheet music into biab's notation so I can hear what the piece sounds like as I'm learning it and I want to loop a particularly difficult section that occurs in the 2nd time through the progression.

How can I loop just that section. Any time I try and use the loop function, it loops the first chorus, not the second. I know there is a bar at the top that indicates each bar for each chorus, but I can't figure out how to loop the melody track on the 2nd chorus, it reverts to the first chorus.

Make sense?

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 10:07 am    

If I understand correctly.... Forget having BIAB repeat the song X number of times. Enter the song in one big sheet with as many verses/choruses as you want. Then, you can highlight the part you want and have it loop as desired.

RC

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 11:17 am    

Thanks Rick. I could do that but it would be a lot of work. I was looking for a simpler solution

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 4:25 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
...I was looking for a simpler solution

Rick Campbell wrote:
...highlight the part you want and have it loop as desired...

What Rick said. Select/highlight the bar(s) you want to loop, press F10.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 5:29 pm    

Ian,

Band in a box won't let you highlight in notation mode and in the Chord view, whatever you highlight only plays the first chorus. There isn't a way to highlight just the second chorus.

While making it all one long chart as Rick suggested would work, but I can't believe there isn't a more elegant solution.

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 8:16 pm    

So I guess you have a manually-entered midi melody that varies from one chorus to the next. What Rick suggested is as elegant as your going to get from BIAB. Just use the "Song Form" dialog to unfold the repeating choruses into absolute sections.

For example, if your repeating chorus is 16 bars long starting at bar one, enter 1 in the "Bar #" box for section "A", enter 16 in the "# of bars" box. Type AAAA etc. in the "Form" box at the bottom for however many times you want the section to repeat, click "Generate", voila. It may not be elegant, but it's logical and it's dead simple. Keep in mind that if this just for some sort of practice drill you can do a "Save As" to preserve your original version and just chuck it later when you're through.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 8:19 pm    

I will give that a tr. thanks