The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Goodrich Baby Bloomer
John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2021 6:27 am    

I’m loving mine. It’s one of those things that’s hard to describe, kinda like passing signal through a UREI 1176 limiter with the limiting turned off, it just sounds good. It enhances the tone without fundamentally changing it. Very cool box, Kevin.

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:03 pm    

I am more than pleased with mine. I cant imagine anyone getting one of these and not being very happy with it. Right away even my band mates could tell something was better about my tone. I like to add something to my signal and not say a word to see if its noticed. I can easily talk myself into liking something because I spent money on it. Not the case here......
This thing is the real deal!!

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:17 pm    

I’ve been following all the comments on this pedal, my biggest question is “will the audience notice the difference”?

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 3:26 pm    

Bruce Bjork wrote:
I’ve been following all the comments on this pedal, my biggest question is “will the audience notice the difference”?

Half the time they think I’m a keyboard player. Haha
I know this, I can sure tell it. I play better when I am feeling like my tone is what I want to hear.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 5:22 pm    

We don’t do tone for the audience!

Joseph Napolitano

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 6:12 pm    

Are you guys using this with solid state , tube amps , or both ?

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 6:26 pm    

Joseph Napolitano wrote:
Are you guys using this with solid state , tube amps , or both ?

Solid State but I would bet it would enhance tube amps too.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 2:41 pm    

Baby Bloomer arrived today- fun. Firstly, they're not all black as pictured- this one has the black metallic mottled finish similar to Hilton VPs. The gain structure is quite unusual- the volume boost is very very subtle- not the type you step on for a solo (but we have VPs don't we?)-if anything is altered from ~1 o'clock and up it's too subtle for my ears. Harmonic character is the right term here- shows up as a nice bit of hair with 705's and a maxed-out vp-acts like a traditional low-gain od pedal in that situation. For big clean tones (where it will probably live with country folks) it softens up my sometimes strident LTD a bit, and adds some richness.
I like the three-way switch idea- Fairfield circuitry's excellent barbershop pedal uses a similar tone profile -darker/somewhere in-between?/brighter. Here, again, it's subtle. As the company says, this is intended as an 'always on' pedal- I could see it being useful for backline situations. It reminds me a bit of union tube & transistor's 'more' pedal, or the boost side of their exquisite LAB compressor. So far, I like what it does-

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 3:26 pm    

Isn't this just a variation of the Aphex Aural Exciter or the BBE Sonic Maximizor/Sonic Stomp that have been around for years?
Henry

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 3:55 pm    

In a word, no.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2021 5:03 pm    

In terms of pedal comparisons, it's in the family of the Belle Epoch or EP booster- explicitly shooting for a general echoplex preamp sound-as mentioned above, those other pedals do different things. To the other point, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a current pedal/amp/guitar/piece of gear that isn't based on something that's been around for years.
There's always some poetry involved in sound description, and I think Goodrich did a good job on their website describing exactly what the pedal is-except re: the gain knob-after a few days tracking with it, I'm still not getting any difference in response from 1 o'clock up. An observation, not a problem.

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 2:54 am    

Gonna order one this week. If I am using a Black Box, would the Black box go first in the chain right after guitar and before VP, then the Bloomer go between VP and amp?

Thanks friends
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

Larry Beem

Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 3:39 am    

Craig Bailey wrote:
Gonna order one this week. If I am using a Black Box, would the Black box go first in the chain right after guitar and before VP, then the Bloomer go between VP and amp?

Thanks friends

Yes

Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2021 10:59 am    

Quote:
Solid State but I would bet it would enhance tube amps too

I used my Baby Bloomer yesterday for an outdoor gig with a modded Bassman head and JBL 15”. I was very pleased. Glad I have one. I liked the results with the tube driven Bassman more than with my Webb..but I’m a tube snob😁
Dz

Bruce Bouton

Nash. Tn USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2021 2:08 pm    

I just got mine this week. Not sure how or why but I like it. It opens up the tone. Fells like it tightens the low end . Can't wait to try it in the studio.

kevin ryan

San Marcos, California
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 12:22 pm    

Thanks Bruce, you are the best!
We have 12 Baby Bloomers left shipping next week. If you would like to pre order, we are making that available today. Thanks again Bruce, Glad you like it. I played one on at least 30 gigs while developing this and love it. Guitar too. Check the website to order.
https://goodrichsoundcompany.com/product/bloomer-preamp-pedal/

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 15 May 2021 4:13 pm    

Bruce wrote:
Not sure how or why but I like it.

Same here. I've had it for about 4 or 5 gigs now I guess, and it's really sort of hard to describe. I read all the comments like that and didn't quite understand, but now I get it.. It's a keeper.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2021 1:04 pm    

Roger Crawford wrote:
We don’t do tone for the audience!

Very good point, ordered my Baby Bloomer a few days ago.
Bruce