Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2021 11:32 am    

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/mar/03/chris-barber-obituary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkQdMvHwYxI

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:39 am    

RIP, Chris Barber - a real pioneer in British music. It could be said that Lonnie Donegan was the primary musical influence on the young people of the UK in the mid-'50s but, had it not been for Donegan's position as banjo-player in Barber's band (and the platform it provided for LD's vocals), it's arguable that we'd never have heard of him.

Lonnie's 'Rock Island Line' (1954) was the record that started things rolling in Britain for guitar-driven groups - well, that was Chris Barber on upright bass. Many years later, I found myself doing the sound-check for Thames Television's 'This Is Your Life'. They were honouring Donegan's career and had arranged for an 'appropriate' guitar to be on-hand for the show. He always used 000-Martins, so a '64 000-28 was found and I got to sing-and-play 'Rock Island Line' along with Chris and Beryl Bryden, both of whom were on that 1954 recording.

Chris was a lovely man and was tireless in his promotion of American roots-music in Britain. It was a privilege to have known him.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2021 5:55 am    

Roger, I hoped you would chime in. Thanks for the info. He played bass also, who knew. I only have one record from him, Dr.John is on it. Great listening!

James Kerr

Scotland, UK
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2021 1:20 pm    

As a Teenager, before Rock & Roll, I followed the Chris Barber band round the Dance Halls here in Scotland and spent all my pocket money on his records, which I still have. A great Band with Ottillie Paterson on vocals. When I heard him it was straight down the middle New Orleans stuff, midway through the night the full band took a break and left the stage to Lonnie Donegan and his Skiffle Music. He toured all the Town Halls big and small and we all had the chance to hear a great band, Monty Sunshine on Clarinet, Pat Halcox on Trumpet, Chris on Trombone, a terrific front line.

James Kerr.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 6:15 am    

In 1954 I found a copy of Lonnie's Rock Island Line on the London label. A 45 disc. I wore it out. I played it so much the needle finally wore the recording smooth. I nearly drove my folks nuts playing this song over and over again. I'd never heard this sound before. I found out that it was Lonnie on guitar, Chris on bass, and Meryl on rub board. I had been used to the big Nashville sound of Webb Pierce, Tater, Ray Price, et. al., and was surprised at such a big sound coming out of Rock Island Line with just three instruments. I finally found on YouTube some film of Lonnie, Chris, and friends performing. What a group that was. Chris was a great entertainer. I hope Chris, Lonnie, and Meryl are making the Heavenly rafters ring.

Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 6:18 am    

Please pardon the typo. That was Beryl not Meryl. Thanks.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2021 7:56 am    

Michael:

It's good to hear that Lonnie, Chris & co made such an impression on to at least somebody in The Colonies!

The follow-up to 'Rock Island Line' is worth a listen, too. "Lost John' features Chris Barber's bass very high in the mix and Donegan's tireless and driving vocal is a tour de force. Another great 'side' from that team is 'Ol' Riley (Here, Rattler, Here!)', a slave-runaway song. Lonnie's unique voice transported us from a drab, damp and foggy post-war London to long, hot Summer days in Mississippi just by dropping the stylus on a 45 rpm EP!

Happy days...

Roy Heap

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2021 8:12 am    

You are so right Roger, Chris Barber was a great guy and super musician .
When the band played any where around the west London I was there, many gigs in Richmond and Twickenham.
I played in a skiffle group around Chiswick and Brentford called The skiffle Cats at that time.