The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Yet Another Tuning (and related question)
Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 29 May 2019 4:08 pm    

Just as I started getting used to playing my 6 strings with Dobro G tuning, GBDGBD, l let myself get influenced by everyone’s opinions on 6th (minor 7) tunings. When I’ve tried these in the past, I always seemed to get tripped up by the 6th floating around string 3 or 4. So I came up with this...

EGBGBD (low to high)

It gives an Em on the five low strings and G major on the 5 high. Plus of course the G6/Em7 when all 6 strings are used. So far I’m digging it so much, I can’t understand why I’ve never seen it listed anywhere as being used by anyone.

Which leads me to my question.
Is there something problematic about this tuning?
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 2:48 am    

There is one thing that might be reason why it isnt common and that would be the large tonal skip between the middle B and G string. For some people, that somewhat missing note in between there might become too much of a limitation.
I could easily play a bunch of stuffs using the tuning posted but I would probably need one more guitar with a different tuning to be totally satisfied.

If it sounds right and feels right, go for it.

B.Erlandsen

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 3:51 am    

Not problematic if you like it. Except that for instrument that has filed nut and bridge slots you may have to get new slots filed or maybe new bridge inserts on dobro.

Maybe you can borrow Andy Volk's Slide rules book or read old threads on e7, e13 etc. Also look at John Ely's chord/scale calculators

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 6:39 am    

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
There is one thing that might be reason why it isnt common and that would be the large tonal skip between the middle B and G string. For some people, that somewhat missing note in between there might become too much of a limitation.
I could easily play a bunch of stuffs using the tuning posted but I would probably need one more guitar with a different tuning to be totally satisfied.

If it sounds right and feels right, go for it.

B.Erlandsen

Good point. I’ll pay attention to that gap when I practice today.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 30 May 2019 7:58 am    

The 3 "10th" intervals in there....

E - - G - -
- G - - B -
- - B - - D

makes a lot of sense and can be easily slanted to get the major or minor version.

I knew I had seen this before, and I have actually tried this tuning long time ago, everything a wholetone up.

It was part of one of the experiments/discoveries that eventually convinced me to getting my first pedal steel.

It can be a costly experiment Wink

There is a lot of fun to be found with that tuning tho.

B.Erlandsen

Joel Bloom

Post  Posted 31 May 2019 2:07 am    

Looks good...similar tuning I've been using low to high
E G D G B E and E G D G B D using a 32 gauge string
in place of the low E & tuning it to an E an octave higher than a low E...
this gives 6th chords, major/minors etc with the 6th out the way too + there when needed..

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 31 May 2019 7:35 pm    

Bengt Erlandsen wrote:
The 3 "10th" intervals in there....

E - - G - -
- G - - B -
- - B - - D

makes a lot of sense and can be easily slanted to get the major or minor version.

I knew I had seen this before, and I have actually tried this tuning long time ago, everything a wholetone up.

It was part of one of the experiments/discoveries that eventually convinced me to getting my first pedal steel.

It can be a costly experiment Wink

There is a lot of fun to be found with that tuning tho.

B.Erlandsen

Thanks for that info Bengt!

As cool as that tuning is (was), it was still too difficult for me to get up to performance speed on it. So for now, I’ve gone back to a good old fashioned 1-5-1-3-5-1 open D. I’m leaving my Rickenbacker GBDF#AD though, for at home practice because it seems so useful.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 4 Feb 2021 4:21 pm     What goes around, comes around!

Nearly 2 years later, and I’ve landed back at this tuning!

I prefer it now as a reentrant tuning though. eGBGBD. For some reason, I’m finding the notes below G to feel “boomy” and distracting, unless the bass is turned way down—and then they just disappear. Probably something psychological, but it is what it is.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 9:00 pm    

Allan, question for you. I do not have an 8 string, but I have been following your posts with interest. You talk about E G B D E G B D low to high, and i have read about other players using this tuning with varations. Just wondering, because I do not remember ever seeing G B D E G B D E low to high being mentioned. I am not an accomplished player and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your time. Joe

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2021 10:44 pm    

Joe Breeden wrote:
Allan, question for you. I do not have an 8 string, but I have been following your posts with interest. You talk about E G B D E G B D low to high, and i have read about other players using this tuning with varations. Just wondering, because I do not remember ever seeing G B D E G B D E low to high being mentioned. I am not an accomplished player and would like to hear your thoughts. Thanks for your time. Joe

First a confession. I am a very accomplished experimenter—not so accomplished a player!

Also, I have an obsession with 7 string lap steels, I’ve never owned, or even played an 8 string. If I have ever mentioned 8 string tunings it’s probably in relation to a seven string tuning.

The most important lesson I’ve learned (actually the 2nd most) is that tuning is a flexible art. There are common tunings and popular tunings, but each of us is free to look for a tuning that works best for the music we want to make. Since every tuning requires some kind of compromise, we just decide where we want to compromise.

The most important lesson I’ve learned, is that progress happens faster when we pick a tuning, and stick with it until it’s mastered. This particular lesson has yet to sink in to my thick skull!

Regarding the two tunings you mention, both are variations of G6 / Em7. I’m currently using a different variation that I’ve come up with on my own, for 7 strings. Either of those 8 string tunings should work, depending on where you want your root , and how you prefer your chords to lie. I have no doubt that someone in this forum has tried one or both.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2021 12:25 pm    

Joel Bloom wrote:
this gives 6th chords, major/minors etc with the 6th out the way too + there when needed..

Joel, I tried your EGDGBD version too. In some ways it makes more sense than mine. It’s also much closer to the standard G tunings.

The reason I changed the middle D to a B is to get bigger strums for blues and rock style playing. It allows for 5 string major strums, 5 string minor strums, and a 6 string m7 chord with the 7 on top.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2021 4:33 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
Not problematic if you like it. Except that for instrument that has filed nut and bridge slots you may have to get new slots filed or maybe new bridge inserts on dobro.

Maybe you can borrow Andy Volk's Slide rules book or read old threads on e7, e13 etc. Also look at John Ely's chord/scale calculators

I made some adjustments today based on Andy’s tunings. I’m trying out a Major 7 tuning, very with the same intervals as his older Dmaj7 tuning. His was DADF#AC#. Mine is FCFACE. My 7 string tuning is almost the same as one of his current 8 string tunings, FACEGACE. Andy said he got this from Bobbe Seymour. Mine is now FACFACE. I still have one 7 string tuned reentrant, aFCFACE.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2021 8:53 pm     Re: Yet Another Tuning (and related question)

Allan Revich wrote:
Just as I started getting used to playing my 6 strings with Dobro G tuning, GBDGBD, l let myself get influenced by everyone’s opinions on 6th (minor 7) tunings. When I’ve tried these in the past, I always seemed to get tripped up by the 6th floating around string 3 or 4. So I came up with this...

EGBGBD (low to high)

It gives an Em on the five low strings and G major on the 5 high. Plus of course the G6/Em7 when all 6 strings are used. So far I’m digging it so much, I can’t understand why I’ve never seen it listed anywhere as being used by anyone.

Changing this slightly to make the highest string an F (G13) makes this tuning even better, especially for blues. EGBGDF. The 7 string version is better still. EGBGBDF.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 11 May 2023 12:37 pm    

Joel Bloom wrote:

Joel, I’ve come around to E G D G B D on 6 strings too. It doesn’t appear to be winning any popularity contests Laughing , but it works very well.

I’m baffled as to why this tuning isn’t more popular, since it is just the basic taro patch, low bass open G tuning, with the low D tuned up to E.

On seven strings I have E G B D G B D, for a full root position Em7 on the bottom 4, and standard Dobro tuning on the top 6.

Brian Evans

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 15 May 2023 4:30 am    

EGDGBD has been my go-to tuning for a long time, since I started playing lap steel basically. If you call it G6 instead of em7/G, you might get more uptake... Smile