The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Golden Gate Capo
Chase Brady

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2021 5:31 pm    

Anyone own/use one of these Golden Gate squareneck capos? I bought one some time ago after misplacing my Charlie's Slide Pro. It was cheap. I wasn't impressed with my purchase. But my Slide Pro never turned up. I was on the verge of buying another, but decided to take another look at the Golden Gate. I decided that the design was good, but the execution was not. I ended up doing a fairly easy mod that made a big improvement in the tone, volume and sustain. The problem is the plastic piece that rests on the fretboard. There was a large slot in it, presumably to allow for frets, but far larger than necessary. It also wasn't exactly flat. There was just enough rock to it to ruin the tone.
So I filled the slot with epoxy putty (best darn stuff since duct tape) along with a layer across the bottom. When it hardened I sanded the bottom flat on my granite mantle piece. The end result is surprisingly decent capo. Not quite as easy to use as the Slide Pro, but less in the way when you are playing.
Unfortunately, I don't think they make them anymore. They are not shown on Saga's Web page. I figured I'd mention my mod in case someone else had bought one when they were available.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2021 12:43 pm    

I have one I bought probably 20 years ago that, as luck would have it, is the only capo that fits perfectly on my Iseman Weissenborn guitar. The Iseman is set up with strings pretty low compared to most lap steels. The Golden Gate capo metal bar , without the plastic shim, fits exactly perfect. Dumb luck.