The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Does anyone use a wound second string?
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 7:08 am    

I plan to set up one of my 22-1/2" scale 6-string lap steels in a G6 tuning with the same 1-3-5-6-1-3 intervals as standard C6. It would seem the second string (G) may be too sloppy and floppy with a .026p, the largest diameter plain string at my disposal. Does anyone use a wound string in lieu of a plain one for a second string for G6 on a 22-1/2" scale instrument? Any thoughts and opinions would be helpful and appreciated.

L. Bogue Sandberg

Chassell, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 7:00 pm    

I used a .026w for that G on a 23" scale National neck tuned to G13. On my current 23" lap steel in D13, I use a .024w for an A and a .028w for F#. All three seem to sound and feel good.

I can't imagine trying to wrap a .026p around the tuner post! The calculated tension is actually higher than for the wound. A .020p is about as stout as I want to wind on in a plain string. That's what I use for the B that would be your string 1.

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 9:58 pm    

Sure. As always, I recommend a string tension calculator to get in the right range - here's one: https://tension.stringjoy.com/

.024 or .026 wound get you in the range of 23-28 pounds tension for 22.5" scale. Sounds reasonable to me. Lotsa people use .024 or .026 wounds for 3rd string G for guitar.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2021 8:01 am    

Thanks, guys. I have a new batch of bulk strings on the way, and am eager to experiment with a couple new (to me) tunings.