The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How to tune my Lap Steel
Paul Handley

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 3:59 pm    

Hi! I'm new to the forum and to lap steel. I recently bought an SX LAP 3 in order to learn how to play. I have no experience with Lap steel but I have a little music theory and a little piano. I don't understand how to tune my Lap 3. My LAP tree arrived with a ll the strings loose and if I over tighten them they are liable to break! Every time I google a tuning, like C5 for example I get a set of 6 letters. Now these letters are the notes each string is tuned to I understand; but which Octave? That's what I need to know. I know most people who play an instrument can play by ear but I can't. Can someone help me tune my LAP 3?

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 4:57 pm    

Hello, Paul. Welcome to the SGF.

I checked the SX LAP 3 webpage and according to the specifications there, the guitar was supplied with the following string sizes (low-to-high): .052 .036 .028 .022w .015 .011

I don't know what tuning they would have put on those strings, but I recommend you buy a new set of strings for C6 tuning from the forum store: https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/scottys-c6th-6-string/

These strings will give you a C6 tuning from low-to-high of C E G A C E. The C on string #2 is middle C and the C on string #6 is one octave below. There is quite a bit of instructional material for the C6 tuning which will probably be helpful to you. I suggest you look at Andy Volks books for C6 (there are several). I recommend the "Exploring C6" and the "C6 Gold" books. Also Doug Beaumier has two good song books: "25 Songs" and "25 More Songs". I have added links below.

Welcome to the wonderful world of lap steel, Paul, and good luck on your journey.

http://www.volkmediabooks.com/

http://playsteelguitar.com/

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 5:07 pm    

Hi and welcome, Paul,

Just to expand a bit on David V's above post - When it comes to "spelling" tunings you will often, but not always see the notes or strings listed from lowest to highest pitch. However, string manufacturers label strings with the highest as #1, and lowest as #6. So your middle C in that C6 tuning will be the second highest pitch.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 5:10 pm    

What the two Daves said, but I'd like to add one tidbit: Unless you're blessed with perfect pitch, obtain an inexpensive electronic tuner such as this:

You won't regret it.

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 5:44 pm    

Welcome to the neighborhood!

If you're looking to tune up and get some immediate "slidey sounds" while you're waiting to choose a tuning - you can get there with Open E using those string gauges - they're not ideal but you'll develop your own preferences and allegiances later.

Here's a vid with a virtual pitch pipe so you shouldn't have to worry about breaking strings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azZgAjsaiKA

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 5:53 pm    

According to their site, it is Open G (D-G-D-G-B-D). If you tune the low D, it should be pretty easy to find the correct octave for the thickest string, your 52. Then tune the next string to the g just above the D and so forth. If you aren’t interested in that tuning buy new strings

https://www.rondomusic.com/lap3bk1.html

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 6:41 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
According to their site, it is Open G (D-G-D-G-B-D). If you tune the low D, it should be pretty easy to find the correct octave for the thickest string, your 52. Then tune the next string to the g just above the D and so forth. If you aren’t interested in that tuning buy new strings
https://www.rondomusic.com/lap3bk1.html

(low-to-high): .052 .036 .028 .022w .015 .011

I have a feeling that these string gauges are going to be awfully sloppy with the D top and bottom. I’d suggest tuning to Open E instead. Low to high EBEG#BE

These are your high and low E

But please use one of these!

https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Paul Handley

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 12:30 am    

Thanks for all the info! While I didn't get a direct answer for my question about what octave the notes for the different tunings were in, I was able to figure it out by listening to the pitch for the different strings and comparing those to my keyboard. That gave me the number of the octave they were in. Thats the only way I know to identify a note is by letter and octave number. In any case Now I can tune it without fear(much) of breaking a string. I will first tune it to Open G; the factory recommended tuning before I try the ones y'all recommended. I can't wait to get started. Thanks for all your help!

Paul Handley

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 12:39 am    

Thanks, Allen. Sorry I didn't see your comment till I posted my last one. That is exactly what I was looking for! Now I don't have to finish figuring out the Open E tuning!

Am I correct in thinking that anytime there is a repeated pitch like "E" in a tuning it will be an octave above the lower "E"?

Tommy Martin Young

Sacramento-California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 6:44 am    

Paul Handley wrote:

Am I correct in thinking that anytime there is a repeated pitch like "E" in a tuning it will be an octave above the lower "E"?

Paul, you are correct. This Open E tuning will give you 2 full octaves and the following scale degrees starting with your Low E 1-5-1-3-5-1 (the highest E being the E above Middle C)

"Now is the time for drinking;
now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
-Quintus Horatius Flaccus (65-8 B.C.)