The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I just scored a mandolin for 50 bucks.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 8:58 am    

I played the mandolin for several years before I started playing the steel. There are probably still people who don't even know I play the steel, and only remember me as a mandolin player.

I had a great mandolin, a Rigel. But I sold it in order to buy my Quilter Steelaire, and have been without a mandolin ever since, until yesterday.

I bought one of those $50.00 mandolins Musician's Friend was selling. I figured it was probably a piece if junk, but for 50 bucks I'd take a chance.

I'm happy to say I was delightfully surprised at the quality. It's WAY better than I expected. It needs some tweaking, but when that's done it will be a professional grade instrument.

I'm stoked. Very Happy

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2021 9:03 am    

I've had one of those I bought at the local GC for a few years. They were blowing them out for around 40 to 45 bucks. They even set it up and tuned it for me.

I think these are a great value. They have a decent sound and nice playability. I was as surprised as you with the quality of build etc.

I put side dot markers on my fretboard...and a transducer. That's all. Still got the same strings on it.

[Edit] Someone asked about the side markers I mentioned. I bought side marker material, "sticks" used a pin vise with a tiny bit to drill the binding then snipped and finished the ends.

I also built a strap and case for mine. I haven't had it out for a while, but thanks to this thread I'm pickin' on it some. Still learning really, but lots o fun on the cheap.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2021 1:48 pm    

"I bought one of those $50.00 mandolins Musician's Friend was selling."

Was it a Rogue? most review of those are surprising good except for the setup.

I have read reviews of what most consider the best mass produced mandolin which is Eastman's. Funny all their models are the same except for finish and hardware. Most people rate the cheapest one as the best sounding and speculate that is because it just has a stain and not a varnish or other more complex finish.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2021 3:51 pm    

The brand name is Savannah.

Today the price shot up to $99.99 I guess the people at Musician's Friend took another look at it.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 7:48 am    

Some of those cheap instruments are really pretty good. I have a Chinese-built Epiphone acoustic electric mandolin that I paid $80 for that sounds pretty good, both plugged in and acoustic. I also have a Grote ES-125t knock off that I bought used for $100 that is a perfectly good electric guitar. Both of them required quite a bit of adjustment, and new tuners, but I would take either one to a gig(If I had any...)

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 7:59 am    

I don't play mandolin but I'm kind of a collector.
And this one caught my eye.

Darrell Criswell

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 8:01 am    

Some of the mandolin players say that four strings is all you need on a totally electric mandolin, there isn't a significant sound difference.. I wonder what other people's experience is?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 8:43 am    

In my opinion, a real mandolin require 8 strings. The 4 string Fender is cool, but it's a different instrument.

John Rosett

Missoula, MT
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 10:44 am    

Darrell Criswell wrote:
Some of the mandolin players say that four strings is all you need on a totally electric mandolin, there isn't a significant sound difference.. I wonder what other people's experience is?

I played a Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string mandolin(Copy of Tiny's Bigsby) for years. My experience is that the doubled strings can sound kind of muddy and out of tune in higher gain situations. I like the single-strung electric sound, especially for western swing, and I'm a huge fan of players like Tiny, Johnny Gimble, Paul Glasse, etc, that play them. I also have a 8 string mando with a piezo pickup and an old Gibson that I use a mic on. I guess I like it all.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 11:01 am    

I have this 8 string electric.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2021 11:37 am    

Tim O’Brien used to say that “mandolin is an Italian word that when translated to English means out of tune”...

Zoots Houston

Kingston, NY
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2021 11:27 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
The brand name is Savannah.

Today the price shot up to $99.99 I guess the people at Musician's Friend took another look at it.

Musician’s Friend does a daily sale called “stupid deal of the day” where a different item each day has a big discount and the mandolin was the special that day. I was really tempted by it too, but ended up passing on it.