The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Genuine" vs. "Remanufactured" ink cartridges?
Butch Pytko

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 11:07 am    

My HP9015 printer's ink cartridges are starting to run out of ink--bought the printer new last January. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the remanufactured ink cartridges. On my old printer, I did try LD remanufactured ink cartridges and had some trouble with the printer not "reading" the ink levels properly, but that was on a few cartridges, not all. Anyway, I've been researching out on the internet for the last few days, but I can't get a straight answer on the best remanufactured ink cartridges. Some of the one's that are listed as the best, don't carry my brand of HP962 cartridges. LD has a message saying they are out of stock, at the moment. If I have to get the official HP962 cartridges, that's what I'll do, but need some opinions, first. Thanks.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 12:15 pm    

I use official cartridges. I've used cheaper ones when I was short of money, but they can cause problems. Also they void your warranty. So on balance I think it's better to pay up if you can.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 12:16 pm    

I use the Meijer store's brand of replacement cartridges for a Canon Pixma printer. No issues with compatibility. If anything, they may not last quite as long as the branded ones. I save a couple bucks, but not much so I dunno if it's worthwhile or not.

Some other reman cartridges gave me problems with my old HP 550 printer.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 12:55 pm    

I've tried all the options and in the end bit the bullet and just buy OEM ink cartridges.

I tried refilling my own (back before the smart cartridge that would report the ink status to the printer) and that was a disaster. I've bought remanufactured cartridges and some worked OK, a couple were duds and the ones that did work did not have the amount of ink an OEM cartridge has.

Others will report the refilled/remanufactured cartridges work OK.

On the HP ink cartridges, the ones that come with a new printer are "starter cartridges" and do not have as much ink as regular HP cartridges.

John Swain

Winchester, Va
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2020 4:02 pm    

It was pointed out to me recently the ink jets in HP printers are in the cartridges. So when you you buy factory cartridges, you're getting fresh, clean jets. To me that's worth the cost!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 6:34 am    

I've had good luck with the re-manufactured cartridges.
Erv

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 7:58 am    

I solved that problem.

My HP printer offers a monthly program. $5.99 per month for up to 100 pages, no matter what you print on them.
After 100 pages, it's $1 for additional number of pages.

They send me (I don't have to order or go anywhere), NEW and FULL size cartridges before my printer runs out of ink. It is read over the internet.

I print about 90-100 pages a month, so for $72 (the cost of 2 new cartridges), I can print 1200 sheets, even color photo's.

This has worked out GREAT for me.

And I NEVER have to shop around.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 8:18 am    

Like Bill, I also subscribe to the HP ink cartridge replacement program. At this point in time I print under 50 pages a month. So, I pay $3.17 a month. When the levels drop they ship out a new cartridge before the old one in empty. The cartridges are larger than the originals that came with the printer and much cheaper than buying new ones at a store.

My last experience with refilled cartridges was very bad and messy. I won't do that again.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 5:38 am    

It's infuriating that the printers only calculate the number of pages printed, rather than the actual amount of ink used. So, you may be throwing away cartridges that are half-full (or more) just because the printer says "Replace Ink Cartridge". Muttering

(And you thought that chip on the cartridge actually measured the amount of ink left. Laughing )

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 3:52 am    

I use Inkfarm.com brand remanufactured cartridges.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2021 7:29 pm    

I am using "HOTCOLOR" brand cartridges for my HP 02 printer. They work perfectly, last a long time and don't get rejected by the printer as non-oem or expired. I ordered them from Amazon. Much cheaper than HP branded...

Bill

Brad Richard

Chisago City, Minnesota
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 3:45 pm    

I get reman's for my epson workforce from a company called Comp and Save. Haven't had a problem and the price is right.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2021 6:06 pm    

I seldom print.

One issue I had is the ink solution would evaporate or dry up long before I ever used all the ink inside the cartridge.

My solution was to switch to a laser printer. First I purchased a used HP laser printer (complete with a spare toner cartridge) for $20. Once that died I purchased a new Okidata flatbed scanner / laser printer combo from WalMart for $99. My wife loves it because she can scan or print using her smart phone. The Okidata has a wi-fi wireless connection to our home network.

When we have the need or desire for color prints we email the prints to the WalMart or CVS photo department. It's way cheaper than we can print them ourselves.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW