The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help wiring BL 710
Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 9:45 am    

Anybody know how to wire a 3 wire 710 pickup? Red, white abd b!ack wires. Putting it on a LeGrabde.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 1:12 pm    

Black and white are the 2 wires you want. The red wire (at least on the XR-16 I put into a Mullen I used to have) is for adding a switch to switch it from humbucker to single coil. You wire a spst switch to the red wire with the other side of the switch going to ground (I used the ground lug on the jack - it was a single neck, so no terminal strip). If you don't want the ability to "split" the coils, ignore the red wire. Tape off the end, or cut it off. I don't remember if black or white is ground, or if it matters.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2021 4:15 pm     Bl 710

Thanks Richard. That's exactly what I needed to know.

Thomas Stone

San Francisco
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 12:27 pm    

Be advised that if you wire it for the single coil option, that sound will give you a brighter tone, but a noticeable drop in volume,

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 1:03 pm    

Thomas Stone wrote:
Be advised that if you wire it for the single coil option, that sound will give you a brighter tone, but a noticeable drop in volume,

When I put the XR-16 in the Mullen I had, the drop in volume in single coil mode wasn't that much of a drop in volume. Some, but not enough to be a problem. The single coil sound was a little brighter, but not bad. It has a nicer tone than in humbucker mode, more lively with more "ring". Best of both worlds. When I can afford it, I want to put XR-16 pickups into my Carter D10. I have 710's in it now, but they don't have the split coil option.