The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Should I get this old Bud? Pics added.
Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 2:43 am    

Hi, everyone. I ran across this old Sho-Bud 6140, 6x4 and I’m asking your opinion.

First, I’ll admit I might be stupid in that maybe I should have just bought it right away. However, I’m just not up on Sho-Bud values, especially since this one needs work.

It’s blonde and, amazingly, the finish is almost perfect. Underneath the cabinet is painted that (early 70’s?) light, pale green. Two hole pullers. Rack and barrel. 5 pedals set somewhat to the middle. I think it might’ve been set up for C6th. Dunno. 4 tear-drop knees, some of which might have been added later. Some things might have been moved underneath as evidenced by screw holes in underside. 3 holes in the middle of the top where controls used to be. Basically, it appears to be all there, except for the controls. No strings because no one at the little store knows anything about it, let alone how to string it up. Original purple-lined case in great condition. $1000.

Heck, I don’t know. Like I need yet another project? Sending it out for a rebuild will have me, I figure, putting more into it than it might be worth. Right or no?

Last edited by Eric Philippsen on 20 Jan 2021 9:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 4:40 am    

Personally, if I had stumbled into it, it would be in my music room already. But, I'm a glutton for punishment, haha.

It's worth more than 1k. You could get it in order and sell it for a reasonable profit. Surely it can't need sent out for repair? It may be an old wives tale about vintage instruments, but "perfect" ones didn't get much play, and sometimes that was because they were flawed and the person was too inexperienced to know better, so they just didn't play it. That couldn't explain every nice instrument because a lot of people actually take good care of their stuff. Especially steel players, in my experience.

I can see no reason not to buy it. If not, tell me where it is! Laughing Laughing

Happy New Year, lets hope for a better one...and gigs!
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 5:51 am    

If it's both rack & barrel and two-hole pullers, I'm guessing that the levers have the pullers and were added later. And indeed, a catalog page shows the 6140 as a 6 pedal, no knee guitar. E9, it says. Doesn't mean your guitar is.
I'd take that in a heartbeat for $1K .

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 8:07 am    

Yes and that green tint to the spray texture means it was built during the 1st year onset of the LDG...so '73-'74...great era....best sound shobud ever had.
I did set a 6-pedal and I think I added a couple knees to a single-10 that era....C6th tuning set up for a guy long time ago.
Yes I can be easily done to a E9 and sounds like all the parts that are there will work fine. Yes GET IT...holy crap...Like Jon said; it's worth a LOT more than that.
Ricky

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 8:17 am    

Ricky beat me to it, and he is Mr. Sho-Bud, so his input (and Rick's and Jon's for that matter) is a lot more valuable than mine. I was typing a few thoughts before I saw that he had posted.

Is it rack and barrel and two hole pullers? That would seem to be an interesting combination. Or is it barrels and two hole pullers? Barrels behind two hole pullers are tighter and quieter, although either system is very versatile and sounds great. Sho-Bud generally switched to barrels and two pullers in 1973. I believe all 6140s were originally rack and barrel and had six pedals and no knee levers, with the pedals located towards the center of the body. The light green underside would be early 1970's period-correct. Early 6140s had volume and tone controls and a coil tap switch on the top deck. Later models eliminated the volume and tone controls, and moved the coil tap switch to the changer end endplate.

If the changer isn't frozen up or sloppy, and the undercarriage is in good condition, it sounds like a solid guitar. $1000? Like Rick, Jon, and Ricky said, you betcha.

Last edited by Jim Cooley on 4 Jan 2021 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 2:26 pm    

Thanks, everyone. I picked it up. The store was glad to move it and gave me a little bit better price on it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 4:41 pm    

Ok then ERIC...snap a couple pics underneath and up top and let us go to work on what it is, what you need, and what you can or can't do with it...and just what kind of dream you had come true.....!!!!
Ricky

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jan 2021 9:44 am    

10-string universal-ish? Might work.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 7:47 am    

I’ll definitely post some pics but it’ll take me about a week to get that done.

Thanks everybody for all the info and advice! I’m looking forward to getting it refurbished.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 9:25 am    

Yeah Eric keep this thread open and post them here for reference....we'll give you our input of restoration of course....ya gotta keep Sho~bud Alive man....Good'on'ya.
Ricky

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2021 1:42 pm    

For what it's worth, Eric is the guy that purchased my old D-10 Emmons Black Rock. He had it completely rebuilt and it is now playable and sounds great.
We need folks like him that rescue these old instruments and give them new life.
Thanks again Eric.

Jerry Malvern

Menifee, California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2021 12:49 pm    

Do your due diligence when picking someone to redo your guitar. And NEVER give them any payment prior to the work being done.

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:17 am    

Here are pics. Sorry about the lateness in posting them.

The finish is in great condition with just a few dings. Mechanicals are dirty, and grunged-up. I don’t think it spent a lot of time in clubs. Extra holes in undercarriage indicating things have been moved. 3 (not 4) knee levers. Flat fretboard (I would’ve thought it to have a dust catcher). Missing controls, of course, BUT everything appears solid without any breaks, cracks, or “uh-oh” issues. Comments and suggestions welcome!

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 8:43 am    

Ok; well it's not the green tint they did on all buds when they came out with the LDG in '73; it is the white spray texture and born in December 1971. So they called these "Single-10 Professional. That was a tone and volume knob with switch in-between them on the back apron. I usually put the Chrome caps in the holes when I take them out.
If I refurbished it...I would take completely everything Off and sand/buff/polish and relube everything and set it up like you would like it and that would be part dependent on how many pedals and knee levers....It would be expensive; so ball park price on total refurbish/set up...in the 800.00 area. Possible down on price if I have replacement parts and/or added parts in stock at my box of stuff from a million years ago...or they would have to be gotten from Michael Yahl at www.psgparts.com ; newly made or if he has old/refurbished parts??
Ricky