The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Improving technique with headphone amp
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 2:56 pm    

My wife and I have been snowed in quite a bit lately, and in order to keep from driving my wife crazy stuck here at the house, I've been playing mostly through my headphone amp (a POD).

What I quickly discovered is how sloppy my playing had become. Didn't notice it through my amp. The headphones are unforgiving. Any bad blocking or other basics of steel playing stick out like sore thumbs.

After a few weeks of playing only through the phones, my technique improved a lot. Both pick and palm blocking are much cleaner now, and I think my technique in general is just better.

I'm sure that this is no revelation to anyone but me, but playing through the phones has definitely been a good exercise for my playing. Plus I'm still married.

Dave

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:07 pm    

Headphones are unforgiving because the action takes place right in the middle of your head. No escape!
And yes, my wife thinks they're a great way to practice (without much caring about the result)
Smile

Dale Rivard

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 5:26 pm    

It's just like recording, That is a fine microscope. You can't hide and all of the details are revealed. What can sometimes sound okay in a live situation, the truth comes out through headphones or on a recording session.

Asa Brosius

Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:12 pm    

Agreed. I use a vox amplug bass edition on the road for practice. Sounds tinny and awful, no natural or artificial time/space effects, no vp, even less than honest. The built in metronome options are all particularly awful sounding as well, but they're reliable, the whole unit is about the size of a bar, and when you hit the stage you sound like a god. It's my favorite practice tool, really cleans up the right hand.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:44 pm    

David, since I started using headphones my wife really enjoys my playing. I wish she could hear it. Haha.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 6:57 pm    

Headphone's saved my Ass more than once with the Old Woman!!!! Lol...

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 8:03 pm    

I have always loved headphones but unfortunately my ears can’t handle them any more, I do cheat once in a while for a short time ...

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 1:21 pm    

Be super careful with headphone practice. It's very easy to play too loud and cause serious damage. Ask me how I know. Nah, I'll tell you. I gave myself tinnitus with headphones.

It's a great way to learn to hear "in tune," though.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 1:28 pm    

check this out
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender/Mustang-Micro-Guitar-Headphone-Amp-Black-1500000341245.gc?source=4TPAAKBB&dtm_em=fef5c3a74b90cf6d92e2a07b2834fbab

Ron Shalita

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 4:45 pm    

I was reading about the new Apple headphones, and they were talking about if you go to your iPad or iPhone and connect them and then hook it up to Apple TV plus, put on a movie, and you turn your head from one side to the other it kind of follows the voice around the room,it’s kind of a spacious type thing. So I got my air pods out and hooked up to my iPad Pro went to Apple TV+ and started watching a movie, and it was the most immersive sound that I have ever heard, it’s pretty unbelievable the technology. I also tried it with the Apple TV+ on my TV but it didn’t work, it Has to be with the iPad or iPhone. It’s also very clear I could understand everything people were saying. That is something that I don’t hear on my TV anymore at all, it seems like everybody’s mumbling.