The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What Are The Fender And Gibson of Steel Guitar?
Barry Yasika

Bethlehem, Pa.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 2:44 am    

For as long as I remember, Emmons and Sho-Bud always seemed to be "Thee" steel guitars most thought of in the steel guitar world. That's pretty old thinking now adays with so many newer companies booting up. Seems like Mullen, Justice and MSA are some of the newer top contenders. But, still I was wondering one day which steel guitars will have the Fender and Gibson ancestry? Every time I see steel guitars on TV, it seems (at least to me) Emmons seems to be the most visible. I"m really not interested in the best or worst, but more just thinking about which two or three brands will be the ones that hold the "Fender or Gibson" type title. You can even consider Fender and Gibson both built steel guitars but in my opinion (and I'm not knocking them) never really had anything going as strong as their non-pedal steels happening that'll hold its own. just a thought.

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 3:00 am    

In my brain I've always considered Emmons and Sho~Bud in the Fender camp, and MSA in the Gibson category.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:06 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
In my brain I've always considered Emmons and Sho~Bud in the Fender camp, and MSA in the Gibson category.

Ken,
I consider the Sho-Bud the Gibson as it has that more mellow Gibson tone and Emmons the Fender as it has more “twang”
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2021 9:17 am    

Well Patrick, I would say that the earlier 'Bud's were very bright in tone. Latterly, some of the Sho~Bud range were mellower, but nowhere near as dark as early MSA's. A Sho~Bud through a Fender amp can still sound very bright.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,