The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New string type
John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 2:47 pm    

I hope all here are well..strings..I have always used Cobra Coil strings (God bless Bobbe).......I have used them because of the ..Bakersfield sound...that I get from
my Rus Ler De luxe....So I am thinking of changing up and trying the NYXL strings.
All feedback welcome and stay safe all.

Bruce Anthony

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 4:36 pm    

Tell me more about Cobra Coils, please. I am ignorant. Smile If it matters, I play a GFI S10....

Bruce Anthony

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 4:42 pm    

Tell me more about Cobra Coils, please. I am ignorant. Smile

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 5:49 pm    

I'm sold on Live steel strings.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 3:07 am    

I was told, by an employee of Bobbe's, that the Cobra coils were made by GHS and if I liked George L's (also made by GHS) I would like Cobra Coils.

I'm using SIT's on my GFI (and it can sound Fenderish). I have two knocks on the NYXL's, Price and color coding strings for identification. I was given some "promo" NYXL's, when I had the Franklin, and had a color code mix up installing the C6th set.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 5:53 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
. I have two knocks on the NYXL's, Price and color coding strings for identification. I was given some "promo" NYXL's, when I had the Franklin, and had a color code mix up installing the C6th set.

I've seen the objection about color coding several times, and I don't quite get it. On the C6th set (I just replaced some last week), green, black, red, and brass are duplicated. For the green, you have .017 plain versus .036 wound; for the black, .020p versus .042w; for the red, .024w versus .054w; and for the brass, .030w versus .070w. So it's pretty obvious if you think about which string you're replacing -- in the case of the red ones, for example, it would be like confusing a G string with a low E string.

--Al Evans

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 6:44 am    

Al, you have it figured out, and I've seen others that do not have a problem with the colors, and others that do. For a first time user it was confusing. I was given two E9th and C6th sets, I didn't have a mix up on the second set.

Price is another issue. I didn't get any more longevity out of the strings than I did with George L's or now the much lower priced SIT's. String gauge consistency (size) is the same as the others (I don't find this a problem on most strings today compared to the inconsistency years ago).

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 9:05 am    

I have used NYXL for a couple of years now. I am impressed with their sound and their extended life.

I play / practice for about 90 minutes, or more, per day. A set usually lasts for 6 weeks or so before they start to sound dull. On two occasions, they only lasted about two weeks. Curious! I would be interested to hear if anyone else had the same experience... of if it is just me.

Overall, I really like the NYXL strings.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 4:37 pm     The NYXL’s.

I’ve been using them for a couple of years, and I get 20 or 30 gigs out of a set on my old Emmons. Never had a broken string yet.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2021 8:08 pm    

NYXL's here and happy.... Been using them now about 2 years. Over 30 years with nickel wound Ernie Balls.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 12:28 am    

I have tried practically every single brand string out there & honestly I cannot tell the difference; they all sound the same to me.
So I buy the cheapest, which are GHS pedal guitar boomers.

Same with tubes,picks,cords,pedals,gasoline,motor oil,shampoo,beer,soap,cough syrup,etc....all the same.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 6:15 am    

I’m pretty much with Rich on usually getting the cheapest. Mostly I don’t buy the string hype but hear quite a difference in tonal richness with NYXL’s and have found far less G# breakage with Jagwire Strings. That’s my experience.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 6:50 am    

I don't know what alloy was used for Cobra Coils. Wish I did.

Like D'Addario's NYXLs, the GHS Americana strings for pedal steel are a nickel-iron alloy. They cost less, too.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs-americana-e9th-strings/

Nickel-iron is a bit brighter and (people say) louder than regular nickel wound strings. I haven't compared the two brands side-by-side because I prefer the mellower nickel sound. I do like the cryogenic plain strings in the GHS sets, and use them quite often on my D6th. They are are available as singles. I use regular GHS nickel (Boomers) for my wound strings.

https://www.steelguitarshopper.com/ghs-cryogenic-plain-steel-strings/

I don't like stainless wound. They're the brightest sound. A lot of people do prefer them, though. Buddy Emmons endorsed S.I.T. stainless. I think that nickel-iron alloys like the D'Addario NYXLs and GHS Americanas are a good trend for modern steel, a sort of middle ground tonally. Personally though, I'm set in my ways. Laughing

Roy Carroll

North of a Round Rock
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 12:50 pm    

By PF and they can be purchased here on the Forum from B0b.
Nice licks too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7NAGOS9dtw

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 6:54 pm    

Live Steel Strings here. Tennessee Lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 9:59 am    

b0b
I thought the COBRA name reflected a cobalt alloy.
I have a fairly good supply of Cobra Coils but running low on some gauges...
If GHS did make them for Bobbe I would buy them as i can't get a response from Michele who worked at SGN.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jan 2021 12:29 pm    

As far as I know, Ernie Ball is the only company that makes cobalt wound strings, and they don't make pedal steel sets. Maybe Bobbe Seymour had a special deal with them.

You can buy 6-packs of cobalt wound singles direct from Ernie Ball at
www.ernieball.com/guitar-strings/electric-guitar-strings/electric-guitar-single-strings/cobalt-wound-electric-guitar-single-strings

John Brock

Xenia, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 11:05 am    

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of truth in all comments....Thanks!

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 12:38 pm    

I used Cobra Coils for over 20 years...switched to NYXL when B0b started selling them...similar tone but the Cobras had black spots (rust?) appear up and down the string after a few months, ..the NYXLs stay clean and last much longer...on a $4000 guitar the cost doesn’t matter Very Happy