The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  iPad apps that you may have missed......
Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 8:09 am    

Here’s another good one, Chord AI, play your songs or YouTube clips and it lays out the chords, I forget the cost but it’s not expensive.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 9:09 am    

TE Tuner is excellent. I have started using it for a metronome too, it's as good as the one I used to use which isn't supported anymore.

I think Itablapro is really excellent for steel. You can do a drone in TE Tuner but Itabla is more mellow (if you like Indian music).

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 9:23 am    

BTW someone mentioned that Irealpro has no tracks in it. If you go to the forums section you can download huge dumps of chord changes. I don't know about country, but the jazz selection is huge and the Django selection is also great.

It's all in the app.

James Mayer

back in Portland Oregon, USA (via Arkansas and London, UK)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 9:59 am    

Bruce Bjork wrote:
Here’s another good one, Chord AI, play your songs or YouTube clips and it lays out the chords, I forget the cost but it’s not expensive.

I've tried various apps that claim to do this but none of them ever really get it right. I'm curious if this one is better or if you are only able to get it to work on very simple uncluttered arrangements?

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 12:48 pm    

James Mayer wrote:
Bruce Bjork wrote:

I've tried various apps that claim to do this but none of them ever really get it right. I'm curious if this one is better or if you are only able to get it to work on very simple uncluttered arrangements?

I haven’t had any problems, try the free one first.

James Mayer

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 9:10 am    

Here's something cool. A way to practice E9 fretboard knowledge and compose while away from the steel. It's a compact practice board.

"Velocity Keyboard" is a midi keyboard that uses the accelerometer to measure how hard you press or tap a note. You can smoothly slide notes, apply vibrato and it's polyphonic so you can emulate a pedal steel.

I wrote the developer to see if there was a way to add a custom tuning and they replied by offering to add a 10-string E9 layout.

I've got it hooked up to control Thumbjam (mentioned earlier in this thread) to control samples of a clean electric guitar.

Last edited by James Mayer on 4 Jan 2021 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total

James Mayer

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 9:19 am    

Here's a couple more good ones, though not steel specific.

1) Moises - Parses recordings into separate tracks. I used it to separate vocals out so I could transcribe them to steel, but I noticed it did a good job parsing the other instruments, as well. I thought this would be gimmicky but it works impressively well.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moises-ai-music-platform/id1515796612

2) Beat Time! - Like Snippz (mentioned in first post), this app lets you slow down and loop a youtube video. It has pitch adjustment and note/chord detection.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beat-time/id469390635

Last edited by James Mayer on 5 Jan 2021 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total

James Mayer

Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 9:30 am    

John Sluszny wrote:
Thanks for the info James.
I like snippz,BUT isn't there an app to change the pitch of a YouTube song (instead of the speed) ? Thanks !

See my last post above.

John Sluszny

Brussels, Belgium
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2021 9:58 am    

👍😉

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2021 6:26 pm    

Does anyone use an iPad app to play back video clips other than the one the iPad ships with? I find the start and stop annoying. I suppose I’d like one where the play and stop button don’t disappear.
Thanks!

Justin Emmert

Greensboro, NC
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 4:22 am    

Here’s one I use a good bit called Loop2Learn. Copy and paste a YouTube video link into the app. You can then loop sections and slow them down.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Jan 2021 6:38 am    

Thanks Justin. I’ll give it a try. In the meantime I tried VLC. It seems pretty good.

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2021 6:53 am    

Any suggestions for an app for writing out lyrics and chords simply?

I don’t necessarily need tab. Just to have the lyrics on one line, and to place the chords on the line above at the right spot.

Thanks

James Mayer

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2021 8:28 pm    

I just completed this project using only an iPad and iPhone (with a mic and interface).

APPS USED:
DAW: Auria (non-pro version).
Video Editor: Lumafusion
Remote iPhone camera trigger: MIDI Camera
AudioBus and StreamByter allowed me to trigger arming/recording in Auria while activating "MIDI Camera".
Amp modeling for pedal steel: THU-Overloud
Reverb: ToneBoosters Reverb
Amp modeling on cümbüş double tracking with magnetic pickup: Blue Mangoo Gain Stage Vintage Clean
EQ, Compression and Delay: Auria built-in PSP channel strip and delay.

https://youtu.be/Px7VZuYnZeI

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 6:24 am    

Nicely done, James!

Just bought Auria during the Holiday sales, but have yet to find time to mess with it. As for the playing...., I've a long way to go before approaching your mastery...

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 7:51 am    

James Mayer wrote:
Here's a couple more good ones, though not steel specific.

1) Moises - Parses recordings into separate tracks. I used it to separate vocals out so I could transcribe them to steel, but I noticed it did a good job parsing the other instruments, as well. I thought this would be gimmicky but it works impressively well.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/moises-ai-music-platform/id1515796612

2) Beat Time! - Like Snippz (mentioned in first post), this app lets you slow down and loop a youtube video. It has pitch adjustment and note/chord detection.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/beat-time/id469390635

I can’t believe how well Moises works. Just downloaded and tried it enough to be impressed. I think it will become a part of my every day practice!

James Mayer

Post  Posted 24 Feb 2021 11:47 am    

Lance Clifford wrote:
Nicely done, James!

Just bought Auria during the Holiday sales, but have yet to find time to mess with it. As for the playing...., I've a long way to go before approaching your mastery...

Lance, I'm not a master by any means. I'm flat on a lot of notes, I never touched the right-knee levers and barely touched any strings that aren't B, E, or G#.

Nevertheless, I appreciate the compliment.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2021 10:47 am    

You guys are so amazing. I learn so much from this forum.

I joined the Moises.ai web account just as a free user. I was able to take one of my favorite Ricky Van Shelton songs and separate it into four tracks:

1 - Vocals
2 - Bass
3 - Drums
4 - Other Instruments

I panned tracks 1, 2 and 3 to the left and the other instruments to the right on Moises and recorded the playback off the sound card to two L/R panned channels on Audacity.

I added a count off track to the start using a snare hit that I copyed from the drum track.

Because the other instruments were each playing in their own space on the "other" track, it was easy to cut the steel parts to a sixth track and mute it.

I then panned everything back to center.

It made a pretty decent practice track when exported as an Mp3.

BTW: I've used Pro Tools and Cakewalk, but free Audacity does a fine job for something like this.

Bill

James Mayer

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2021 11:36 am    

Cool. I went to ATU - Russellville on a baseball scholarship, 20 something years ago

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2021 3:50 pm    

Hi James,

That's really neat that you were at ATU. Back then I was coaching local baseball and worked with the McCrotty's some. Since I retired from ANO in 2013, I've been the High School tennis coach. One of my All-State tennis players got a baseball scholarship to ATU as a catcher about 4 years ago. I still play with the Tech faculty jazz band and usually go to Tech baseball games several times a year. My dad got a degree there way back when they were a two year school. Who was your coach?

Bill

James Mayer

Post  Posted 25 Feb 2021 4:16 pm    

Bill Rowlett wrote:
Hi James,

That's really neat that you were at ATU. Back then I was coaching local baseball and worked with the McCrotty's some. Since I retired from ANO in 2013, I've been the High School tennis coach. One of my All-State tennis players got a baseball scholarship to ATU as a catcher about 4 years ago. I still play with the Tech faculty jazz band and usually go to Tech baseball games several times a year. My dad got a degree there way back when they were a two year school. Who was your coach?

Bill

I was only there for a year before transferring. My coach was Dale Harpineau (can't remember how to spell his last name).

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2021 7:59 pm    

His brother Al Harpineau is HS Principal now. I don't know where Dale is now...

Bo Borland

South Jersey -
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2021 7:38 am    

I don’t know if it’s been mentioned but the NNS number system app is very good. Easy to learn.
Create and share charts. The charts instantly translate from Letters to numbers or the reverse.
Make hand or stylus notes, highlighting, key, tempo, etc

Milton Sue

Vista, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2021 12:57 am     Yamaha Chord Tracker Great App

Great thread everyone! I don’t see this listed but it works great l use it all the time. Tell it which song in your library and it spits out chords as the song plays. You can tempo and pitch stretch, transpose and it shows guitar, keyboard chord fingering as well as staff notes. Best of all it’s free with no in-app purchases! I use on iphone but there is probably an android version. I got it cause l play a Yamaha keyboard but l use it more with my pedal steel. Smile

John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2024 8:49 am    

I second Moises, the app. Check out the Moises videos on YouTube. It's an awesome app for making backing tracks.

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

1997 Carter U-12 Double Body-Natural Birdseye Maple-8p/5k, Peavey Nashville 1000 Amp, Goodrich L10K Vol. Pedal, Boss DD-3 Delay, Boss CE-5 Chorus, Behringer UMC-204HD Audio Interface, AKAI MPK Mini MK3 Professional Midi Keyboard/Controller, Gretsch Bobtail Resonator, Fender Banjo, Rondo SX Lap Steel (C6), DIY Lap Steel (Open D), a few Mojo Hand Cigar Box Guitars (MojoHandGuitars.com).