The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 voicings on E9 course
Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2020 1:26 pm    

I'm looking for some good instructional material for obtaining C6 sounds on E9. I'm not playing much C6 anymore and have decided to go back to a single 10 and would like to learn some grips and chord positions that would fit those 6th styles.

Thank you and have a Happy New Year!

Marty

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2020 4:58 pm    

Here a link to my concise tutorial on the subject:;

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/C6th%20On%20E9th/C6th%20On%20E9th.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2020 5:13 pm    

Jody Cameron has some info:

Click Here

Here is a great video:

Click Here

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2020 7:00 pm    

Some of Mickey Adams videos focus on faux C6 on E9. All My Ex's Live in Texas is pretty good, and there are a couple of others.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 4:24 am    

Wow, Greg's charts and explanations with examples is the bomb. That's an incredible amount of information and work. They are laid out perfectly. Thanks Greg.

Marty Nemanick

Madera, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 8:51 am    

Thank you for sharing this Greg, you put a lot of time and effort into this and I appreciate it, learning these pockets will be very helpful! Have a great new year!

Marty

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 10:13 am    

There is a book by the late Don E. Curtis called C6th on E9th; You can't get it new anymore, but used copies come up from time to time;I have seen copies of that book with CD available on the forum as recently as 9 months ago; The basic approach of course is engage the E flat knee lever and play straight up steel no pedals all day long is sort of the underlying concept. Lowering the 9th string to C#; together with the E lower, gives nice C6th voicing on all of the bottom 8 strings at the first fret; Mike Headrick always does high quality recordings, and I see he has a more recent title for C6th sounds on E9th. Thanks for the tip to Greg Cutshaw's material. I've really appreciated Greg sharing his knowledge over the years. What a great guy.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2021 12:37 pm    

GREG, excellent C6th/E9th charts and Tabs the demo was cool, thanks for your time & effort
Ken

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2021 8:08 pm    

Get rid of the D string and tune the guitar as you would E9/B6 Uni minus the 2 bass strings. Go pedals-down and you now have an A6th tuning. You can get all "6th" changes now except the BooWah by using the standard E9th KL's.
PRR

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 3:37 pm    

Jeff Newman wrote an article for the Steel Gutarist magazine issue No. 3 Sept., 1979 page 42, "Swingin' E9th. He shows the C6th's chord voicings for playing a 12 bar blues on E9th. This should give you a good starting point on playing C6th sounds on E9th. bOb has this magazine for sale in the store.
Henry

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 7:14 pm    

Get a U-12 and it will all fall into place.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2021 8:52 pm    

A U-12 is just that...a 12-string. By getting rid of the D string, you have a short version of the E9/B6 tuning on a 10-string neck. But by using the regular E9 splits, you transform the E9 to an A6. And you can use standard E9 KL's to play the "6th stuff" on the E9 neck...on only 10 strings instead of 12. On top of that, you only need the standard 3 E9 pedals and not 7 (minimum) that you need for full-fledged E9/B6 Uni.
I've been playing E9/B6 since 1985, but don't play it anymore since switching to the "short Uni" 10-string more than a decade ago. A lot less weight to lug around....4 fewer pedals, rods, cranks, pullrods, shafts, stops etc.
PRR

David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 1:11 pm    

Don't forget that the original E9 tuning (like Bud Isaacs used) was meant to be a chord tuning. Before pedal steels came along, western swing players used double neck 8 string steels with an A6 and an E13 tuning. The E9 tuning gave you most of that on the same tuning: an E9 chord across all the strings with the pedals up, and an A6 chord across all strings with the pedals down.

The modern version of the E9 isn't all that different. You still have E9 chords and A6 chords by pushing the pedals down. And with everything else that's been added since then, you've got diminished chords, augmented chords, minor chords, etc.

There's really no reason you can't play C6 style sounds on it without any modifications.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 2:49 pm    

If I was going to a U-10, I'd just remove the 9th string (D), move low B to the 9th string, add a G# on the bottom and add an extra floor pedal or two, just to cut down on my re-learning curve. 40 years ago, before there was a standard U-12 tuning, I played a D9th/D6th 12 string tuning and got by fairly well with 5 floors.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Boss 59 Fender pedal for preamp, NDR-5 Atlantic Delay & Reverb, two Quilter 201 amps, 2- 12" Eminence EPS-12C speakers, ShoBud Pedal, 1949 Epiphone D-8. Revelation preamp into a Crown XLS 1002 power amp.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 6:01 pm     C6 on e9

Why ditch the 9th string D when it is so much of opening up the E9 learn what it does listen to Randy Beavers to what he gets from the 9th string I think you will change your mind

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 6:20 pm    

The 9th string D doesn't fit in with the A6th side of the E9th tuning....it's always in the way. Back when early E9th players were first finding new tunings, many went from F# to D with no low E in between. It wasn't long before they realized this was a loser setup/tuning arrangement. Jeff Newman and Al Petty both told me early on to get rid of the D string and I won't miss it a bit. They were both right!!!
PRR

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 7:05 pm    

I'm with Paul on this. The D doesn't fit with the A6 or B6. I use the A6 with A and B pedals down, but also use the B6th tuning with Eb lever. I tune my 2nd string open to C# which gives me a 9th note with the B6th. I raise the 2nd string (C# to D#) and 9th string (B to D) with one knee lever. These changes work nicely moving them in and out of A6, B6 and E9 whether raising or lowering them within the chords.

Paul Redmond

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jan 2021 9:42 pm    

Amen!!!
PRR

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 5:52 pm     C6

9th string=B, 10th=E(lowers to C# with F lever)...full 10 string E9. Lots of chords. Very Happy

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 6:26 pm    

Yep, that will get you there too.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 12:13 pm    

Agree with Paul Pearson.
My 9th string D doesn’t get in the way of anything. It’s an absolute necessity. I love that string. I think Jody Cameron gets it too.

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 5:57 pm    

The 9th string (D) is still at that position if you pull the B up to D with a knee lever at that ninth string position. The advantage with eliminating it as an open tuned D is you can have the best of both tunings with strum chords from the A6 or B6 tuning and have the E9th tuning with the D note still there by knee levering into it. You don't have to work around that D string if you're picking from the A6 or B6 tuning. Randy Beavers tune "Lean On It" can be played on a standard E9th tuning. It can also be played on B6th tuning. "Plus Nine" can be played on U-12 note for note and chord for chord. Not so sure about the big grip chords on standard E9th? "Hold It?" may also be a good challenge on E9th? I guess it depends on how deep into the 6th tuning you want to get.