The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Pedal Steel Workshop Instructors - CANCELLED
Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2020 5:46 am    

Would anyone be interested in participating in a pedal steel workshop series?

I’m looking for a few players/instructors that would be interested in teaching one or more online Zoom sessions on a variety of topics for both new and experienced players.
• Workshop series would be on a Friday and/or Saturday depending on the number of sessions.
• Sessions would be 1.5 -2 hours @ $15 per person per session.
• Individuals could teach one or multiple sessions.
• Registration for each session would be thru the teacher’s PayPal account.
• Registered students would receive email link from the teacher to a scheduled Zoom meeting for a specific class.
• Registration numbers would not have to be limited using Zoom.
• Classes would be staggered to allow at least 30 minutes between scheduled sessions.

Suggested topics (but not limited to):
• Basic introduction to pedal steel
• Tuning, adjusting levers and pedals, changing strings, maintaining your guitar
• Chords
• Scales
• Intros and fills
• Playing backup to a singer
• Tips for finding the melody
• 12-string Universal basics
• Supplemental attachments and diagrams for each session would be encouraged where possible (but not required)

Schedule:
• I’m thinking an event in mid-February or early March might allow time for planning and scheduling.

Zoom workshops have become a popular way to bring musicians together during these long months of isolation due to the pandemic. My wife has attended numerous virtual Zoom workshops for her music interests in recent months during the pandemic with most in-person activities cancelled all across the country. Participation has reportedly been great allowing people throughout the US and other countries to attend that might not normally be able to travel to the usual event locations. This would be a great opportunity to help new players with hard to find instruction and for experienced players to share their knowledge and techniques.

Let me know if you’re interested.

Have a Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year !!

Last edited by Roger Robinson on 3 Feb 2021 5:31 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2020 4:31 am    

Where in Ohio, are you located. Would like to talk regarding the Zoom. I have been trying to play for years. I have two U-12's, a Zum and a Carter, plus a Zum Encore. However age is getting me. My phone is 912-577-7400, Jim
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2021 1:49 pm    

I’m in. I recall back in the 80s there were steel guitar workshops once or twice a year at a hotel conference room in Milwaukee. Presumably a player would come through and there would be 10 or 15 of us (it was a long time ago and I was pretty young so don’t recall all the details). Now it seems those only happen at conventions.

In any event, I think these could be really informative and productive.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 5:13 am    

We now have three steel players interested in hosting a workshop session.

Looking for a few more !!

Thanks.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2021 8:25 am    

Count me in
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2021 2:19 am    

One player of the U-12, I'd love to see, get into this. His name is Jim Thompson, down near Pittsburgh, Pa. He is one excellent player, on the U-12, and a very nice guy.

Matt Budd

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2021 7:52 am    

I would love to attend something like this as a student (just recently got back into pedal steel). Is it still scheduled for February?

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2021 8:49 am     Workshop

So far, I've only received 3 responses for interested instructors. I think we would need a few more to have a successful event.

I'm still hopeful we'll have a few more interested in the coming weeks. For now, there's nothing scheduled.

Roger Robinson

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Feb 2021 5:31 am     Cancelled

I tried to get this organized, but unfortunately there was not enough volunteer interest to get instructors to host sessions. Maybe another time.