The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Diamond Finger Picks
John Talbott

Castle Rock, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2021 4:10 pm    

Not sure how "new" these are.
Has anyone had any experience with Diamondti titanium finger picks? https://diamondtipicks.com/

GFI Ultra D10
L120, L10k & StageOne Volume pedals
PV Spcl 130, NV112, NV400 & LTD400
Alesis Q-Verb/GT
PV TranstubeFex
Match-Bro

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 7:37 am    

I used to play the "Jeff Newman" Hand... I could not find a pick to BUY that wouldn't get entangled in the strings for my middle finger. So, I made my own. That worked.
I have now completely changed my right hand technique. I added a 3rd pick on the ring finger for wider and more complex chords on the 6th tuning and I decided to give a shot a "pick-blocking"... My hand now comes more from up above and less curled under.

Besides the body accepting yet another "pick" and dealing with it, the biggest challenge adding the 3rd finger pick was the rub between the fingers.

THESE picks are VERY thin. But the the blade is shaped like a spoon, so it is just as strong as the blade of a pick made of thicker material. I learned to re-shape my picks and what I like about these is that, besides being of thinner material, the arms hold tension... they feel almost like spring-steel. I apply most of the pressure on the SIDE of my fingers, so the arms go "into" the meat there... this eliminates the "rub" between the fingers and also seems to lock them in place more securely than to put a lot of pressure on the finger nail side.

I ordered pretty much EVERY pick on the market today... THESE are the ones I came back to every time I tried something else.

But finger picks are a very personal thing and one will never be 100% satisfied.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 6:59 pm    

JD that's amazing you made your own picks. Necessity being the mother of invention. What materials did you use and how many trials did it take to get the suitable pick?
John, those picks look interesting but the blade may be a bit narrow.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 7:18 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
JD that's amazing you made your own picks. Necessity being the mother of invention. What materials did you use and how many trials did it take to get the suitable pick?
John, those picks look interesting but the blade may be a bit narrow.

I used nickel silver... because I liked it on the Dunlop Picks. The Dunlop Picks have these huge ears that get hung up in the strings, but I always loved the feel of nickel silver. You can find it on ebay now... back then, I think it was NYC fellow steeler Bob Hoffnar's fiancee who worked in something related to custom jewelry who got it for me after I asked on the Forum.. we're talking end 90's!

My picks had asymmetric "arms" which were designed to be angled so they would slide off the next upper strings and not leave any corner near to cling onto them.

It worked... but my design was for a VERY tucked in hand... I now play closer to what a Jo Wright hand would be... just that I block with my thumb going up.

I think the Diamond Picks are by all means worth a shot.

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 9:55 am    

I couldn't get the page to open to check prices or anything. Just their home page.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:27 am    

Mike Sweeney wrote:
I couldn't get the page to open to check prices or anything. Just their home page.

IF "our" B0B doesn't have them, buy'em on ebay or amazon.

Amazon needs the money! Ha!... J-D.

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:48 am    

Not saying I'll buy any. Just curious how much they cost.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2021 11:55 am    

https://diamondtipicks.com/product/carbon-grey-finger-pick/

CARBON GREY FINGER PICK
$27.95

Lightweight, adjustable titanium finger pick.
Set of 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2021 4:11 pm    

JD, thanks for the info.
Greg, appreciate the link. I'm actually good with the Dunlop for my picking style. I've tried a few others and end up back with the Dunlop. The wide band feels more solid for me.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2021 8:26 am    

Larry,
I have the same experience.
I try many different brands of picks but always resort back to my trusty Dunlops. Very Happy
Erv

Jason Putnam

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2021 9:01 am    

I bought a set. They are extremely comfortable right out of the pack. just like the JF picks for me. Unfortunately, I could not get used to the blade shape. The diamond blade shape just did not work for me.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 2:27 pm     Finger Picks

Tried to buy 2 sets of finger picks, but the check is so crazy, I couldn't get anything done. I tried 4 times, and never was able to complete the order. Sorry would have loved to try them.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2021 2:34 pm     Gold Finger Picks

Finally got it.
Zum U-12, Carter SDU-12, Zum Encore, Emmons S-10, Emmons D-10, Nashville 400, Two Peavey Nashville 112, Boss Katana 100, Ibanez DD700, Almost every Lesson Jeff Newman sold. Washburn Special Edition Guitar, Can never have enough, even at 80. 1963 Original Hofner Bass bought in Germany 1963, and a 1973 Framus Bass also bought in Germany 1974.

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2021 10:08 am    

I played them for a couple of months and now am trying something else.

Here's what I like, and what I don't:

I DO like:
- THIN material. I wear 3 finger picks (+Thumb) and I can't have them rub against each other.
- The material (allegedly Titanium)... is almos Spring Metal like... Once bent in shape, the STAY in shape!
- they are LIGHT!

I DON'T like.
- The whole punch outs in the braces can irritate the skin after a while.
- since the material is thin, they have punch-shaped a rounded edge all around the blade and tip... it gives the blade stability and it stays in the shape bent... but it's TOO rounded and it eats some of the clarity. I think it would be not un-benificial to E9th players as they play a LOT on the plain and many thin gauged strings which at times are shrill to start with... but on my B6th and now C6th, I missed some "zzzing"... so I started to look further.

they are on the expensive side of non-vanity picks (there are custom engraved picks for over $50/piece being made)... but I feel they are worth the shot.

... J-D

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.

Jim Reynolds

Franklin, Pa 16323
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2021 2:44 pm    

I finally was able to order them. They came in, been using them for almost month now. I really like them, wish they were a heavier gauge, but they are very comfortable, and very close to the picks that Jeff had. I just ordered 4 more sets.