The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ~ Melodyne 5 Review ~ (Article Link)
Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2020 7:26 am    

The online magazine, Audio Technology, has a very concise overview of the benefits Celomoy's Melodyne 5 software offer to a home studio. If you don't have Melodyne but have wondered why so many people use it, this article might provide some answers.

https://www.audiotechnology.com/news/melodyne-5-better-faster-more-musical
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2020 10:54 am    

Melodyne is a pretty amazing tool. I you can get in deep and not screw the music part up if you don’t want to. I just upgraded to 5.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2020 10:59 pm    

Yes, Melodyne 5 is truly amazing. If used discreetly, it can be a great tool. If used unwisely, you can make a pig's breakfast out of just about anything.
I just got the entry level, bare bones version on sale for about $50 and will probably upgrade to the Editor version. They also have a "puppy dog sale" deal going where anyone can try the full blown version for free for 30 days. Lots of heroin dealers have used this technique in the past with great success Smile
The Editor version snd Studio version have full polyphonic capabilities, which is really cool for poly instruments like the steel. Simply as a tool to monitor tracks, it's fantastic. You can evaluate each note in a chord, identify the pitch down to number of cents off concert pitch! For each note played individually, in polyphony! If you need to make tweaks on INDIVIDUAL STRINGS, you can do so while leaving the others alone. Change portamento, increase or decrease vibrato (selectively). You can modify volume on a per note, per string basis! Shift timing around, again on a per string basis. There's more, but I'll stop here. It really is quite an amazing tool. Give the trial version a shot (if you dare!) Whoa!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 7:51 am    

I've had Melodyne 4 for quite a while, and it is indeed powerful, especially the polyphonic capability. I just mixed a bunch of live multitrack recordings, and when you're in a situation like that, without the option to recut the track, it's invaluable. It literally saves the day.

Check out this before and after example (my favorite part of this is the band laughing at the guitar player Smile)

Before Melodyne fix
After Melodyne fix

Amazing technology...

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 9:31 am    

Wow, that's a great example. I didn't hear any artifacts after processing to lead one to think that wasn't the original track. I think my favorite part is that the guitar player plays the entire bar in the wrong key without flinching Smile Then again, that carry-through attitude certainly aided in it's repairability. Super example!

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2020 10:36 am    

Quote:
I think my favorite part is that the guitar player plays the entire bar in the wrong key without flinching

Haha... me too. I've known the guitar player for a lot of years, and he's really a good player. He just had one of those moments we all do. His creds include about a zillion miles with Rusty Weir (back in the day) and more recently Jerry Jeff Walker (RIP). I tried to extort a little cash to keep that recording private, didn't work.. LOL.

The reason that phrase worked so well is because it's a simple double stop lick, played so cleanly, and as you say, without a flinch.