The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  â€œFINALLY” Tone Control
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2020 9:14 am    

I thought I would share this “Tone Adventure” of mine as some members of the Forum have been so generous in sharing their thoughts and experiences with me. I may be a Tone Junkie as referred too in this forum but after many years of playing guitars my ears will only except a certain sound. Trying my hand at recording myself and listening to the playback was an eye opener in hearing the tone of the sound quality. So that being said I embarked on a “Tone Junkies” quest for a better sound. After many applications and listening to the experts I have “Finally” arrived at an acceptable tone to record with. Basically that consists of using a DI from my Nashville 112 then into a Presonus Studio Channel Strip which has a tube preamp then into an Focusrite Audio Interface then into my DAW. I found my connection between the Channel Strip and the Interface is where the difference really was apparent. Before I would connect into the mic input as I was micing my amp before. Now I connect into the “Instrument Input” 1/4 jack with the gain turned off. Someone suggested this may have eliminated the colour that the Interface was giving my tone. With all the abilities the channel strip provides to set tone I can now record that directly into my DAW.