The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sacred Steel Archival Materials
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2020 8:58 am    

Howdy,

I recently deposited a large number of photographic negatives and audio interview recordings in the Arhoolie Foundation archives. When all the materials are digitized they will be available to the public.

Here's a link to Arhoolie's announcement:

https://arhoolie.org/sacred-steel-gospel-collection/

To have my work placed with the Arhoolie Foundation is a great honor.

Bob

Craig Stock

Westfield, NJ USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2020 5:20 pm    

Congrats Bob,

Have enjoyed your posts and promotion of Sacred Steel over the years, nice to get the accolades that you deserve!

I cried because I had no shoes, then I met a man who had no feet.

Today is tomorrow's Good ol' days

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2020 12:07 pm    

Thanks so much Craig. It has been quite a journey, and it's not over yet.

All the best to you and yours,

Bob

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 12:58 pm    

Bob, you are a giant in the field!

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 7:30 am    

Thanks so much Mike. Strong words of support from a man I so deeply admire. I so appreciate your contributions to the non-pedal steel universe.

Warmest regards,

Bob

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 2:36 pm    

Congratulations, Bob! You do such fine work. I've always been in awe. Glad they are showcasing what you do in such an elegant and visible way. Just bought my copy!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 2:41 pm    

Bob, my copy of your new book of sacred steel photographs came this week, excellent work, my man! I'm a longtime hobbyist photographer, shooting steel shows, jam sessions, etc.

What gear are you shooting with? I'm currently on a full frame Canon 6D, various L lenses, most used is the 70-200 f/2.8. Hoping to go mirrorless next year.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2020 2:44 pm    

Bob, my copy of your new book of sacred steel photographs came this week, excellent work, my man! I'm a longtime hobbyist photographer, shooting steel shows, jam sessions, etc.

What gear are you shooting with? I'm currently on a full frame Canon 6D, various L lenses, most used is the 70-200 f/2.8. Hoping to go mirrorless next year.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 7:59 am    

Hi John,

Nice photo.

First, thanks for purchasing my new book and for your kind words. I am very pleased with the quality of the product and most grateful to the Arhoolie Foundation for their funding support

About 95 percent of the photos in the book were shot with film cameras. I scanned the negatives at high res using 35mm film scanners with a high dynamic range. Then I adjusted the tonal values in PhotoShop, using curves.

Over the years, I used 2 or 3 different Canon EOS film cameras, and one or two digital cameras that were not full frame.

My favorite lens is the 24-70 constant 2.8 L. I also have the 70-200 f 2.8 L but, following the general rule that closer is better, seldom (if ever) used it for these images.

I used a variety of film speeds in the TMAX series--from ISO 100 to 3200, with 400 being the most common. Some of the images are from color slides and color print film. A lot of bounced and off-camera flash. The images were selected from about 6,500 frames shot over a period of 15 years in Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, Mississippi, Tennessee, New York, Michigan and Italy.

Today, I have a Canon 5D Mark III and love it, but none of the photos in the book were shot with that camera.

All the best,

Bob

Last edited by Bob Stone on 4 Dec 2020 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 8:04 am    

Thanks Andy.

As an admirer of your work, I value your opinion. I am very pleased with the book and hope you will like it.

All the best to you and yours,

Bob

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 8:23 am    

Bob, will the images in the archive be not only viewable, but usable under public domain law?

2021 should be the year I finally get my E9 101 curriculum turned into a printed and digital book, might like to use an image or two of yours, if that's permissible.

Andy Volk, same question to you, your tomes always have terrific images!

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 8:30 am    

John,

You'll have to inquire to the Arhoolie Foundation about exact terms of use. It will be a while before the images are scanned and available.

FYI, I don't think anyone in my book plays (or played) E9, with the exception of Glenn Lee, who is deceased.

Best,

Bob

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 8:33 am    

John, PM when you know what you want to use. For any given pic, it depends on where I got it and under what circumstances.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 8:54 am    

Thanks, Bob and Andy, for clarifying the photo rights situation. Bob, photos are simply to add visual interest, actual tuning is not important.

Here's a shot from a play date with a friend of mine who had a kit of LensBaby lenses, loved how this lens messed beautifully with depth of field. He snapped the pic of me "playing."

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2020 10:07 am    

I've seen the Lens Baby lenses but haven't used 'em. That's really cool to center isolate focus.