The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Audio Problem with Mixer
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 7:38 pm    

I just purchased a “Behringer 1204USB mixer with the idea of mixing my sound before it goes into the computer software “Ableton Live Lite”. This software came with the “Focusrite Solo Auto Interface that I bought to start setting up a simple home recording studio.

The Focusrite does not allow pre-mixing of my steel sound. So I thought the 1204 would allow me to do that then l would record that mixed sound directly into the software. However I am not getting any return audio to my headphones or speakers. I have spent hours researching looking at video’s on setups etc to no avail.

When I disconnect the Behringer and reconnect the Focusrite things are back to normal. I have checked all the preferences and apply the required driver. It appears that something in the software is not allowing the audio to come to the speakers/headphones.

I am wondering if Ableton Live Lite has some restrictions where it only works with the purchased hardware. Which then forces you to upgrade the version.

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 8:32 pm    

Are you using Mac or Windows? How do you have the mixer going to the interface? Are you mixing multiple channels down into one? Does the DAW show something is being recorded and you’re just not getting output? Have you changed computer and DAW settings to use the interface as the output or are you just using headphone Jack output of computer?

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 9:45 pm    

Hi Nicholas,

The mixer has a USB interface so I am going directly into the computer. Yes DAW has been set for output and I have plugged my headphones into the mixer. Just using one channel to mix and record. Yes I am recording track in but no audio out. Using Windows 10. As I mentioned when reconnecting the Focusrite everything was normal. I think the return signal is being blocked by the control room in the mixer.

Nicholas Cox

California, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2020 10:03 pm    

I see you were just using the focusrite separately. Are you using the control room outputs on the back? Have you tried main outs instead? Alternatively is there a button that takes control room from mains like on the Mackies? Sorry I haven’t used that exact board. But I do trouble shoot a lot of audio problems. Strange that it’s not getting audio back through usb but one thing you could do is take a 1/8” to dual 1/4” from your computer back to the board and listen that way. You shouldn’t need to do that though. Hopefully someone smarter than me will pitch in.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 6:18 am    

What is your signal chain ? Start with the output of the volume pedal.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 8:41 am    

Hi Bob,

I can record into the software (Ableton Live Lite) I can’t hear any audio back. I am listening with headphones plugged into the Behringer 1204USB mixer. Headphones or speakers I am not getting an audio return . I can listen to a Utube video through the mixer. A sound guy from a retailer suggested it must be software related. When I use the Focusrite Audio Interface independently everything is normal (I can listen to the recording). With the 1204 which has an USB interface I can’t hear the playback. So there has to be something stopping the audio return to that unit. I have not been able to contact “Behringer Support” for their input. I am not combining units. The 1204 is a mixer/audio interface unit. All the preferences and driver have been checked and rechecked.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 9:10 am    

I don't have that mixer, but I would try messing with the source buttons near the Headphone/Control Room potentiometer or possibly the USB 2TR/USB to Main button.
I think that it is the physical routing on the mixer and not software.
I could be totally wrong.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 9:18 am    

On second thought - make sure that the output of your DAW is routed to the mixer in your audio device settings.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 9:47 am    

Thx Tim,

I have played with the source buttons and I agree that could be the problem area. However they don’t seem to respond correctly. Red button (2-TR/USB)down and the other Red button (2-TR/USB To Main) up I can hear audio from a video. I understand the reverse is needed to hear audio from the DAW. Not sure what you meant about the output routing to mixer in DAW. The output selection appears correct and it works for the Focusrite therefore it should be the same for the 1204.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 10:27 am    

I am not familiar with the Behringer but I have a Tascam mixer/interface which may be similar in this regard.

The headphone output can be switched between the output of the mixer (in which case you can hear the recording but not the playback) and the output of the DAW (in which you can hear both). I guess this is so it can be used as a stand-alone mixer with no DAW.

2.3.6 of the manual shows a picture of the monitor controls, then several pages later it says "audio being sent to the mixer from a computer can be routed to the main mix with the 2-TR/USB TO MAIN button" (this button appears to be the one at the top of the illustration). But you've probably been there already.

Tim Kowalski

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 11:10 am    

I don't use Ableton, but you should find something like this

Make sure that the output is set to your mixer and not the Focusrite.

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2020 11:54 am    

Thx Tim

I have been through it all... maybe just write this off as an experiment. Sent it back to manufacture and try to find another mix that will let me do it all. Which is mix my steel sound before I record it. Prefer a mixer that can record direct into computer.