The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Electric Guitars
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 4:47 pm    

NEED SOME ADVICE. FIRST LET ME SAY THE ONLY THING I KNOW ABOUT TELE TYPE GUITARS IS WHAT MY GRANDSON TEACHES ME. JUST INFO BECAUSE I DON'T PLAY THEM HE ON THE OTHER HADN IS AN ACCOMPLISHED PLAYER. HE WAS PLAYING THROUGH MY MILK MAN HALF/ HALF AND SAID HE LIKE THE SOUND OF THE TUBE AMP. I WOULD LIKE TO GET HIM A TUBE TYPE AMP AND NEED SOME ADVIXE ON SOME OPTIONS FROM YOU EXPERIENCED ELECTRIC GUITAR PLAYERS. THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR HELP....CLARK

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2020 5:30 pm    

I like my Fender Hotrod Deluxe for telecaster.

Benjamin Davidson

Post  Posted 20 Nov 2020 3:57 am    

Specific recommendations would require knowing styles of music he plays and if the amp is for home or to actually take out and gig (which recently doesnt play into the situation as much because a lot of venues have shifted to mic'ing the amp anyway). And will he use the amp to get his tone, or building a pedalboard.

I advise players of 6 strings wanting a tube amp to go with a 15-22 watt combo. Portable, quiet enough for home use, studio and gig (w/mic) ready if they take that route. Vox AC15, Marshall 18 watt Plexi, Fender Princeton at 15 watts or a Deluxe Reverb at 22. These amps can be driven at lower volumes and sound great.

I belive the days of 40 watt and above amps being used to thier potentional on 6 string are over. Steel still gets away with it due to how we use the headroom and swell.

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 7:11 am    

Yip can’t beat an old fender hot rod, I used one for many years, lovely eq on them and weight is ok, they make a smaller one too like a jr I think, it depends on what he wants to use it for, if it’s just a house amp then even smaller like a 6 watt champ has killer tone.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2020 7:29 am    

Larry Bressington wrote:
Yip can’t beat an old fender hot rod, I used one for many years, lovely eq on them and weight is ok, they make a smaller one too like a jr I think, it depends on what he wants to use it for, if it’s just a house amp then even smaller like a 6 watt champ has killer tone.

It's a blues junior.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 1:48 am    

Hot Rods are great amps, but look for one made in USA. The Mexican ones have issues with the solder they use there & cheap circuit boards, that expand too quickly & break solder joints.
I use a Peavey Classic 30 for guitar & steel & love the sound.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 1:59 am    

Nice thought Clark, getting him a Tube Amp.

How about advise on a PRICE range ? $100 or $1000 ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 7:12 pm     Electric Guitar

LIKE TO KEEP IT BELOW A 1000

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2020 11:26 pm    

I would recommend a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Allan Revich

Victoria, BC
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 1:48 am    

Brad Bechtel wrote:
I would recommend a Fender Deluxe Reverb.

Clark, Brad’s recommendation is probably your best bet. It is a really high quality tube amp that can do just about everything, and best of all the odds of your grandson loving it are very high. New price is $1200.

If you want to stay under 1000, the Fender 65 Princeton Reverb Reissue is also a beautiful amp, https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PrinceRev65--fender-65-princeton-reverb-15-watt-1x10-inch-tube-combo-amp
https://papadafoe.com/lap-steel-tuning-database

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 8:37 am     electric guitar

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR FEEDBACK GUYS. I HAVE SOMETHING TO WORK WITH NOW.....CLARK

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 6:27 pm    

I concur on a Deluxe Reverb. I would go for a vintage 70s silverface instead of a reissue. They can be had for around a grand, plus or minus, if you're patient. I've seen some on reverb.com recently for around that kind of money. Cheapest one today is 1150 but they do come around a bit lower periodically. There is no comparison between the old ones and the reissues, IMO.

I think the very best amp ever made for a Telecaster is a Vibrolux Reverb. If you could find one around a grand, I'd grab it. That is getting hard to do these days, but not impossible if you're patient. I have two of them, one blackface '66 and one silverface '71. Not sellin', sorry. There is a reason guys like Roy Buchanan and Danny Gatton used them so much. But there were so many silverface Deluxe Reverbs made that they can be had a bit more reasonably than the Vibrolux, and get you 95% of the way there.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 7:16 pm     Electric Guitar

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/68Vibrolux--fender-68-custom-vibrolux-reverb-35-watt-2x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

IS THIS ANY THING NEAR WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 9:44 pm     Re: Electric Guitar

Clark Doughty wrote:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/68Vibrolux--fender-68-custom-vibrolux-reverb-35-watt-2x10-inch-tube-combo-amp

IS THIS ANY THING NEAR WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

No. This is what I'm talking about - https://reverb.com/p/fender-vibrolux-reverb-silverface

And look - there's a late 70s Vibrolux Reverb for $1099 plus shipping - https://reverb.com/item/36886200-fender-vibrolux-reverb-silverface-1979

This is one of the later versions that has the push-pull distortion circuit that most players don't care for. But it's easy enough to just not use it - I believe the circuit with it not pulled is unchanged from earlier silverface Vibrolux Reverbs.

As always - you need to be careful buying anything older without knowing what type of condition it's in. You can see that there's a pretty large variance in prices on these. That's why I was advising patience. But I'll take one of these hand-wired vintage Vibrolux Reverbs over any printed circuit board thing they're cranking out today.

Actually, I'm surprised to see this one actually cheaper than any of the silverface Deluxe Reverbs on reverb.

Terry Elms

Colorado Springs, CO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 10:03 pm     Guitar amp

I just purchased a Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue amp tweed, and love it. It will set you back about 1000.00 but I put 3 amps side by side in the same price range all fender tube amps. and chose this one hands down! Beautiful! I would suggest going to a dealer that has multiple tube amps in your price range and take all of them to a corner of the store and compare. Thats how I did it for the first time, and you will see the difference and choose the amp that fits.

Terry Elms

Colorado Springs, CO
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2020 10:05 pm     Guitar amp

Dave is spot on with the Vibrolux Reverb. I gigged with one for 7 years and loved it.

Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 8:44 am     Electric Guitar

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE INPUT. HOWEVER , I AM NO WHERE NEAR QUALIFIED OR ANYWHERE NEAR TRYING TO PURCHASE A 20 OR 30 HEAR OLD AMP. I JUST DON'T KNOW ENOUGH ABOUT THE AMPS. WHAT IS THE NEAREST THING I COULD BUY NEW TO GET WHERE YOU ARE RECOMMENDING...

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 9:06 am    

Maybe go check out a Fender Blues Jr at a local music store.
They will probably also have a Fender Princeton Reverb.

Terry Elms

Colorado Springs, CO
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 5:55 pm     Guitar amp

My Vibrolux Reverb was a reissue, I now have the tweed Princeton Reverb reissue and love it.