The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Adjusting second string half stop on msa
Erik Roos

Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 10:40 am    

Hi! I’m having a question about the 2nd string halfstop on my msa. I just can’t figure out how to adjust it. It’s two separate problems but I guess their connected. The first issue is that the stop kicks in before I hit D, making the string sharp. The second issue is that after passing D the second half step down to C# is really tuff. The travel seams very long and I have to push it really hard In order for it to reach all the way down to C#. It’s impossible to do it quick and smoothly in a song. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

As seen in the pictures I had to tune the nylon nut really tight in order for it to reach C# at all.

All the best
//Erik

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 12:52 pm    

The thumbscrew "half-tone" adjuster on the rod just behind the bell crank is what tunes the intermediate D note, the nylon only tunes the C#. It's hard to tell for sure from the pic, but it looks like the half tone adjuster is backed all the way out and just flopping around on the rod. Threading that in a little and fine tuning should fix the intermediate D stop issue. The other issue is determined by the stiffness on the secondary spring on the right of the pic. A softer spring will make the second half of the pull easier, but it will also tend to make the feel of the intermediate stop a little less definite. It's a trade-off.

As far as the tuning nut needing to be cranked in so far, you can back the nut off and reset the position of the rod in the barrel at the bell crank then re-tune the nylon.

Also worth mentioning that an overly tight lower return spring can sometimes affect the length of the pull on a lower by actually forcing the raise scissor off the stop toward the end of a really long pull. It's not likely happening here, but it's possible.

Erik Roos

Sweden
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 1:13 pm    

Thank you Ian! I tried turning the thumbscrew but I didn’t seam like anything happened. It felt like it was just spinning. Still when I turned the steel around it did actually feel a little bit better. I’ll keep fiddling around with it and hope I’m doing something right!

Is the thumbscrew adjusting the length of the short spring behind it? Is that what deferments where the stop is?

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2020 1:24 pm    

Yes, it looks like the thumb screw has been backed all the way out. It need to thread into the barrel on the rod. The short spring over the threads of the thumbscrew is just to put pressure on the threads so the screw stays in position after an adjustment and doesn't just wander back out of tune.

The general idea for the whole mechanism is that the stiff spring on the right with the set collars creates a firm, but movable intermediate stop point. The thumb screw tuner just adjusts the distance the bell crank can travel from the open note position before it hits that intermediate stop. The thumbscrew fine tunes that note

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 6:06 am    

Erik, it looks like it has been unscrewed all the way and the thread has come out of the collar?

Last edited by Larry Bressington on 23 Nov 2020 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2020 6:15 am    

Push these two together and screw thread back into collar, then start to adjust the D note with this.