The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Katana Breaking up
Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 5:47 am    

Hello. I normally play through a couple of NV 112's, but I have recently purchased a Katana 100. I use it (without messing with any of the fancy modeling, etc stuff) to practice. Just recently, it's started breaking up when I bear down on the volume pedal. It does this regardless of whether I have it on ,.5, 50, or 100 watts. I've bypassed my effects board, and switched cables and volume pedals. Additionally, I ran through a NV 112, and it doesn't do it. I'll add that it just started doing this. I'm uploading a pic of the controls to see if anybody can see a reason there why it might be doing this. Thanks in advance.

[/img]

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 7:22 am    

I’ve been playing through a 100 ever since they came out never had that problem and I play a lot, mystery. Have you tried backing off the Master?

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 8:19 am    

A lot of your settings are fairly extreme. You can leave the Master up, but back off the Gain to about 9 or 10 o’clock. Try backing off the Presence a little, too.

Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 11:04 am    

Thanks, I'll try that. I guess I'm confused by gain, volume, and master. It seems like three volume controls. I get it with two volume controls. Turn the gain up and the master down for crunch, and gain down and master up for clean. But the addition of a third volume is odd to me.

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 11:44 am    

The Nashville 112 has a compressor that prevents over driving the power amp. All of the Nashvilles models have this feature. Peavey calls it DDT compression.
Henry
P.S. I agree with Fred the volume controls setting seem high

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2020 8:32 pm    

Jeff Buesing wrote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I guess I'm confused by gain, volume, and master. It seems like three volume controls. I get it with two volume controls. Turn the gain up and the master down for crunch, and gain down and master up for clean. But the addition of a third volume is odd to me.

The Volume Control next to the Gain is for the volume level of the amp model you have selected, like a Master for that particular model. It should have very little if any effect on clarity. The Master Volume control on the far right is for the Katana overall. They might seem redundant if you are only using the amp in “Panel” mode, but the Gain/Volume controls are also for saving amp model settings as presets. The various amp models have various levels of gain and volume sensitivity.

Charlie Hansen

Halifax, NS Canada and Various Southern Towns.
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 4:05 am    

I had a similar problem with my 50 watt Katana but I discovered, as you say, the gain was set too high. In the end I ran mine about 9 o’clock and it worked fine.
A Touch Of Texas CIOE FM 97.5 Sackville, NS, Canada,
on the web at cioe975.ca.

Paul McEvoy

Baltimore, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2020 6:24 am    

I could be wrong here but I think the volume and gain are like the knobs you'd have on a regular amp.

The master volume takes whatever sound you would coming out of that tube amp and makes it louder or softer (so you could have an overdriven tube sound but at a low volume).

Steven Black

Gahanna, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2020 4:02 am     Amp breaking up

you don't need that much Treble, back your bass back too.

Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2020 9:31 am     treble and bass

Sorry, I disagree. Besides, that wouldn't account for the break up. Thanks everyone.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2020 4:58 pm    

Have you had any luck solving the problem?

Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2020 6:39 pm     hello

No, I tried turning all there obvious volumes down and it still does it. It's the amp.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2020 7:59 pm    

As a last resort, try a factory reset. Sounds like you haven’t saved any settings, so you've got nothing to lose on that front. But maybe there is something in the global settings causing the glitch, and a reset should take care of that. Sometimes you just get a lemon. I’m pretty happy with my Katana, though it hasn’t been gig tested yet.

Jeff Buesing

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2020 5:49 am     Thanks

That's a good thought.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2020 7:33 am    

Jeff, my Katana 100 is the previous model but I haven't experienced any poor sound with master volume maxed. I do however run my gain much lower than you. The normal volume hasn't been a problem at higher settings. I suggest you take the gain down and master volume full on and try using the volume for your loudness control. The gain seem to be the input sensitivity to me. You need gain but less than 12 o'clock. Maybe 9-10. Also make sure you haven't engaged any boost from your effects controls. I'm happy with mine overall.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2020 8:31 am    

you could *consider* 2 things but before you do either go on the forum/ research if people had any problems (and save patches)

- reset to default settings as they were shipped from the factory

https://www.boss.info/global/support/support_news/1703171456/

- check firmware release and upgrade (looks like you bought new, but check anyway)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=231.0

Philip Mitrakos

The Beach South East Florida
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2020 11:19 pm    

I have the MKII 100 KATANA (the new version) dont matter what you have the selector knob on wether it's clean or acoustic
Or turn the gain and volume knobs down as far as you can the amp does break up a little bit ,

Dustin Kleingartner

Saint Paul MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2020 6:45 am    

Make sure your power control is set to 100w or 50w (far right knob/switch). Mine got bumped to 0.5w somehow and it took me awhile to figure out that was why it was sounding distorted.

Edit: nevermind, I re-read the original post

Wesley Medlen

LaCygne,Ks
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2020 12:56 pm    

I've got mine set close to what red has I think it's doing fine' Wes