The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with George L Connectors
Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2020 6:39 am    

Maybe I treat my cables with kid gloves so to speak, but I’ve only had a couple of failures with George L’s over the years. All they required was a quick snip and then reinsert to repair.

However my Peterson Strobo-Stomp does not come on steady with any George L plug. All other brands of plugs work fine though. Kind of odd?

I use a different brand of cable today and have for several years, but it’s never been because of a reliability issue.

Cables do have a tonal difference. If you think the small George L cable sounds the same as their large diameter you apparently haven’t really done a true A-B comparison.

Another fact for me is the cable from your guitar to volume pedal makes the most difference. As long as that one has the sound I want it doesn’t make much difference what the others are. I’m sure some of you can explain why. For me it’s enough to just get the result I want.

Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2020 10:30 am    

Randy Beavers wrote:
Cables do have a tonal difference. If you think the small George L cable sounds the same as their large diameter you apparently haven’t really done a true A-B comparison.

I agree with Randy.

I built my own cables with Belden cable and Switchcraft plugs for many years, and I thought they sounded fine.
Then one day I tried the George L's cables, and the increase in tone was unbelievable--way more highs and crisper mid-range and bass.

For whatever reason, the Beldens were significantly attenuating the tone.
I only keep my Beldens for spares now.

I can only recall one time having a problem with the right-angle George L's plugs, and found these tips online:

"Using the following 3 crucial steps, you should have perfect success with your custom-made George L's!
1) DON'T use scissors! Use a sharp razor blade & a rocking motion to ensure a perfectly round cut-end.
2) DON'T bend the cable too far before threading the cap on! Let the cap cut into the cable jacket.
3)DO use pliers! Pliers will ensure a tight cap that doesn't work itself loose."

http://www.justinoscarcary.com/tips-tricks-tech/2011/8/26/-assembling-george-ls-cable.html

Never had another problem with the George L's plugs after following those three steps.

- Dave

ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2020 6:39 am    

Randy Beavers wrote: "If you think the small George L cable sounds the same as their large diameter you apparently haven’t really done a true A-B comparison."

What are you saying?
Details?

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2020 7:05 am    

I don't want to disagree with Randy.

However, I have done many A-B comparisions and cannot tell a difference.

According to George and Mona Lewis, the core of the 2 sizes of cable is the same and only the jacket is different. Hence, they are the same price.

I don't think (but cannot be sure) that the diameter of the rubber jacket would make a tonal difference.

Of course if Randy hears something different, I would also like to know what.

And about cable laying flat on the floor.
No, the large cable does not which is why it is mostly used by 6 string stand up players.
However if you roll and unroll the small cable properly, I have never had an issue with it laying flat on the floor.

All this only tells me cables are like cars. Some people like a Chev and some like a Ford. Nothing wrong with either.

There are many great cables on the market. I just feel that the tone from a George L's cable is far superior.

Now with all the new electric volume pedals, maybe it is too bright for some of you. Understandable.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Chris Harvey

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2020 6:44 am    

Update. I polished the ends of my old connectors and haven’t had a problem since. Thanks everyone for your help!

Randy Beavers

Lebanon,TN 37090
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2020 1:51 pm    

To me the large dia has a better bass response. It doesn’t lose any highs either. Of course this really only applies to that first cable from your guitar to the volume pedal. Bill, have you tried only switching that one out? I know some folks try the comparison from the volume pedal to the amp and I don’t know if I could hear a difference there.

Either way, George L’s are a quality product that you can depend on. Some times I may get a little too picky. 🤠

David Martin

Kingsport, TN 37660 USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2020 4:36 pm    

I have been using George L cables since they came out in the 80's. I was using quality cables but saw a huge difference when I switched. I only had one go bad and that was my fault. I tripped over it and pulled the cable out of the plug. I carry several spare cords. It was an easy switch and an easy fix at break time. I bought all my George L's from Herby Wallace. He was not a big fan at the time although he sold them. Not sure if he ever changed but I was willing to try them since I had heard so many players raving about them. I'm glad I did!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2020 3:29 am    

I used to make my own guitar cables with Belden wire and Switchcraft plugs. As an amp tech that is what we did. Along came Lawrence cable and then George L's. I switched to George L's in early 80's when it came out and was amazed at the high frequencies I was missing with the Belden. I used George L's and promoted their use for about 35 years as the best with their low 25pf per foot capacitance. I used Peavey amps during that period and the George L's and Peaveys were a perfect match. Last year I bought a Quilter Steelaire amp and immediately had "too much highs" and ultimately sold the Quilter. This year I sold the Franklin and was using the GFI at home with regular guitar cords. I tried a loaner Quilter Tone Block 202 amp with the GFI and the too much highs were gone. I did an evaluation and the only real difference was the guitar cords. I have moved on, or moved back, to regular guitar cords with my Quilter Travis Toy 12 amp and perfectly happy. I have sold the last Peavey steel amp I had, too.

Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2020 7:54 pm    

Yea... I use basically exclusively George L cables...

The small gauge.. one thing I LOVE is that 5 cables take up the space of basically one normal cable...

Also my thought is always this in relation to this whole discussion... and what i've told lots of people that ask about them.

ANY cable that goes bad basically always goes bad at the connector.... DITTO the George L's...

But if you've ever "repaired" one taking off the right end connector... snippin it 1/8" shorter and then putting on the jack again takes maybe... 30-45 seconds? So even if the connection does fail the fix is SO easy and quick that I don't get the big deal of one "failing" or have issues anyways...

Just my opinion...

I think they sound good, I love the ease of making and repairing cables and the obviously advantage of making exact lengths...

I do agree that the right angle connectors have issues WAY more than the straights and I did not know that they made a right angle with the same theory of screwing in the screw as the straights until this discussion... yea.. too bad they don't still do that...

Ron Funk

Ballwin, Missouri
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2020 9:35 pm    

The election may be over,

but George L's have, and will,

continue to get my vote.

Gordon Hartin

Durham, NC
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 7:35 am    

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=187469&highlight=

Here is a post i made 10 years ago about some inconstant plug sizes.

Gordon

Ron Pruter

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2020 5:43 pm    

Dirty/noisy plugs and jacks usually, just because they are dirty-oxidized. Clean the plugs with 0000 steel wool and then get all the steel fuzz off them. Next, the inside of the jacks should kind of, shine. Clean it with a Phillip screw driver wrapped in 400 grit sand paper. The fit is not that important between plug and jack. Just bend the contact probe (after you cleaned it-if the screw driver didn't get it) a little inward to push the plug a little harder. I don't know if I imagine this or not, but things always sound a little better after a good contact cleaning. Smile