The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Webcam audio puzzle
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2020 3:05 pm    

On a previous thread I was trying to get the Windows Camera app to record video satisfactorily, but in the end I gave up and I'm using Debut by NCH Sofware which has worked fine so far.

My audio setup is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 3rd Gen which works just fine also. If I disable the webcam mic

then the camera picks up the mic plugged into a mic socket on the front of the box, my PSG DI plugged into a jack at the back, and loopbacks of YouTube, Windows Media Player and Groove Music (my default mp3 player) - but NOT the output from my DAW (Ableton 10 Lite).

Is there a good reason for this? I'm not clear how the various sources are finding their way to the camera, although I've got as far as realising that the Focusrite interface doesn't control the levels. It would be great if someone who knows more about this than me could explain why it's looping back all the internal sources to the monitoring, but not quite all of them to the camera.

I don't necessarily need to able to record from the DAW but I'd like to improve my knowledge - although I realise you may have other things on your mind at the moment Smile