The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Running M/Bytes and Windows Defender?
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2020 1:45 pm    

I just got a new computer, and installed the ubiquitous Malwarebytes for protection. Seems to be working fine, but should I activate the W/Defender along with it, or will that cause issues?

(Acer desktop w/Win10 O.S.)

Thanks in advance! Smile

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2020 2:56 pm    

I run both on all of my computers.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2020 2:14 am    

I run both on mine. Defender is an antivirus program, Malwarebytes is for malware. Two separate issues.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 7:27 am    

Thanks guys. I bought the Malwarebytes Premium, and evidently that includes virus protection. At any rate, when I enable the MB Prem, the Defender real-time scanning is disabled, and only periodic scanning can be enabled for Defender.

Hope that's good enough. Sad

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2020 3:31 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Thanks guys. I bought the Malwarebytes Premium, and evidently that includes virus protection. At any rate, when I enable the MB Prem, the Defender real-time scanning is disabled, and only periodic scanning can be enabled for Defender.

Hope that's good enough. :(

I have Malwarebytes Premium and Windows Defender and both run with full protection. I'm sure there was an optional setting I applied to get Defender to stay in the fight, likely found under the Windows Defender settings panels.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2020 2:20 am    

I too have premium and don't see any option in Malwarebytes for AV or to disable Defender. Maybe you bought something extra?

I just did a clean Win 10 2004 install (dual boot with old Win 10) and installed Malwarebytes and moved registration to this new install so I have the latest Malwarebytes version.

I agree with Wiz as its probably a Defender setting that needs enabled. Defender also includes Firewall that you also need.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2020 6:20 am    

Thanks Jack. I had no problem with the firewall staying active, but I couldn't find a Defender setting that would allow both to remain active. I finally found an option in the M/B security settings...(unregister) Malwarebytes in the Windows Security Center that allowed both to live in harmony.

I also found three more options that were not enabled:

Scan for rootkits
Use expert algorithms to identify malicious files
Block penetration testing attacks

Should these be enabled too?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2020 7:01 am    

Here is my setup, which are the defaults.