The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New "Pickin'it Basket" picks
Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2020 5:19 pm    

I'm happy to announce we have our new line of "Pickin'it Basket" picks into production. Sterling silver and priced lower than our premium grade picks. Features our Patent Pending "Death Grip" liner teeth that prevent slipping.
Choose between two standard blade shapes or a multitude of modifications.
We've also updated our website and have added galleries of prototypes, custom picks and other engraved picks.

https://www.landisstudios.net/product-page/hand-crafted-finger-picks-pickin-it-basket

And be sure to visit the Landis Studios YouTube channel and see how we make these in our Ozark Mountain shop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-tRA8xskIU

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2020 7:20 am    

Hi Ron,
Is the top picture in your post the "Classic" blade shape and the 2nd picture with the more spoon shaped blade the "Landis" blade shape? I get the impression from a previous thread that steel players tend to prefer the classic shape after trying both. Has that been your experience thus far? Can I shape them myself with some non-serrated pliers like I do my Dunlop 025's or should I leave that to you? I could send you a picture of a pair of the Dunlops on my fingers if that is any help. My birthday is coming up. Wink

Ron Landis

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2020 7:42 am    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Hi Ron,
Is the top picture in your post the "Classic" blade shape and the 2nd picture with the more spoon shaped blade the "Landis" blade shape? I get the impression from a previous thread that steel players tend to prefer the classic shape after trying both. Has that been your experience thus far? Can I shape them myself with some non-serrated pliers like I do my Dunlop 025's or should I leave that to you? I could send you a picture of a pair of the Dunlops on my fingers if that is any help. My birthday is coming up. Wink

Yes, I like the classic shape more for steel guitar and banjo. The paddle shape is really more suited for Dobro and underarm guitar, although some people prefer it for steel as well.

Those blades look clumsy and not as sexy (for lack of a better term) as the classic shape, but the way they work is that if your hand is not perpendicular to the strings, that paddle shape will still have a tighter radius coming off the string than the wide part of a standard shape. They work the same way that angled blades do, except they work for any angle of attack.

Yes. photos help. If your regular picks overlap a bit, that will give me a good idea how much to cut off the ends. These bands are thicker than standard and work best when they make full contact all the way around to allow the teeth to grap your finger. No need for sizing if you have a gap between the ends of your regular bands. I've found them all to have bands 2" in length, same as mine.

Thanks for your interest!

Bob Sigafoos

San Clemente, Calif. , U.S.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 1:12 pm     Got a pair

I recently got a pair of these in the “classic” style. Nearly perfect fit for my medium size digits. Had to tweek the middle finger pick a wee bit and they were ready to go. Those internal grabber thingies really do the job. I also have a pair of the original thicker picks too. Either style is great. If I had to choose I’d go with the thicker more expensive pick style. Hurry up mr. Landis and start making thumbpicks for sale!

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 8:33 pm    

Got two sets of classics(I use 3 finger-picks). I LIKE the paddle shape!Don't know whether it's the shape or the silver or a combination, but IMHO picking is easier and the sound is sweeter. Winking

Dan Kelly

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 11:57 am    

I have lived with my set of Landis .925 picks since May. They are really a joy to use. They certainly seem to mellow out the attack, in a good way, without sacrificing any expression or definition.

Plus, Ron is a real gentleman to deal with. He sent a set of picks right after I ordered them. However, they did not show up. After waiting for a couple of weeks, he sent a replacement set, which was delivered in short order. And then, of course, the original shipment showed up. I kept (and paid for) both sets; I just liked them so much.

Ron is on to a big innovation with an old product category that many had thought was thoroughly developed!

Lane Wesselmann

New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2020 2:15 pm    

Just have to chime in with another recommendation for Ron and his picks. I stockpiled Jeff Newman's picks but these have completely replaced them (at least for now). Great workmanship, great guy and I'm just loving the sound and feel of these (the death grip really works). I'm ordering a few more sets just in case I lose one but these are really heirloom pieces.