The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Paul Franklins Intro to E9th
Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 4:33 pm    

Bob I’ve also posted this in another place wasn’t sure wher it was supposed to be?

Greetings 🖖 to all my Pedal Steel Family!
Ok...I’ve signed up for a Paul Franklin 1st year long introductory E9th Pedal Steel Course,has anyone else ever taken this 1st Course? It’s currently $99
Please let me know how much of a help it was or wasn’t...and basically just your overall thoughts and opinions,
Thanks so very much!
Respectfully Yours,
Jeffery Mercer
Mentor Ohio 44060

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 5:07 pm    

Hey Jeffery,

are you referring to the "Foundations: E9 Pedal Steel Basics" for $99? If so, I found it very useful answering a lot of my new player questions. Definitely worth the $99 for me.

I'd like to sign up for his primary class but honestly, $575 for year 1 and additional years at $382 is just too steep. I could likely justify a one time $575 lifetime access, but the additional years at an extra cost thing turns me off Sad

Hear my album, "Armistice" featuring Fender 400 on every song:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2Pz_GXhvmjne7lPEtsplyW

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfXm8aXRTFz2f0JOyiXpZyzNrvnJObliA

Jeffery Mercer

Born in Portsmouth Oh. 12/10/1954
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 5:17 pm     Too much...

Thanks for replying!
Yes I agree, about the yearly thing, doesn’t seem fair really, it’s not like the guy needs the money, (I wouldn’t think) but anyway, yes I seen where after a year if you haven’t taken total advantage of the course and by that I mean “put in the time” you must pay again!?
At best it works as incentive but that’s all so I did purchase the course for the $99
But As to the rest, I don’t think it wise to purchase it all at one time but rather, One program at a time...at my own pace I wish it were more like Bruce Boutons course...once you pay the $150 which I’ve done, you can return as many times as you like because it’s yours to keep.
Good luck in your studies, say a pray for me too please! That the Lord will give us both the Wisdom, Ability, and knowledge to not only learn this instrument but also to play it Skillfully as unto the Lord!
Thanks buddy,
Respectfully,
Jeffery Mercer

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 6:50 pm    

Ever take classes at your local Junior College? For a personal teacher of Pauls caliber is like a private school I attended for High School. My teacher had 3 PHd's and was well over 575 for 2 days a week. That was in the 60s. Jeff Newman had seminars at the Conventions and each were $50. I took many of them and purchased a ton of teaching materials to boot. It's worth it guys. And a reasonable tuition. At my age, 71, I'm not in the game any longer.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2020 7:56 pm    

Jeffery: Thank you and good luck to you too! I say a prayer for all of us crazy enough to want to learn this instrument. We need all the wisdom and perseverance we can get Winking

Larry: I hear you and let me clarify why the additional year payment structure doesn't work for me. I'm not questioning Paul's caliber as an excellent teacher or the value of his instruction. For me, it's the course structure 1 year access arrangement that keeps me from moving forward. I probably focus intensely on pedal steel 6 months out of the year, the other 6 I'm on to other musical projects. In addition, I've had tendinitis and ulnar neuropathy since 1990 that pops up randomly and when it does, I'm out of action for 4 to 6 weeks. Knowing I need to commit to a solid 12 month course of study to get the maximum benefit (and my money's worth) just doesn't work for me.

That's why I earlier said a 1 time access fee arrangement would be preferable, then I wouldn't feel this time crunch to stuff as much as I can into 12 months Winking

Hear my Pedal Steel Only playlist featuring Mullen G2 SD12 on covers like Candyman, Wild Horses, Across the Universe & more...

John Spaulding

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 6:13 am     Re: Too much...

Jeffery Mercer wrote:
Thanks for replying!
Yes I agree, about the yearly thing, doesn’t seem fair really, it’s not like the guy needs the money, (I wouldn’t think) but anyway, yes I seen where after a year if you haven’t taken total advantage of the course and by that I mean “put in the time” you must pay again!?
At best it works as incentive but that’s all so I did purchase the course for the $99
But As to the rest, I don’t think it wise to purchase it all at one time but rather, One program at a time...at my own pace I wish it were more like Bruce Boutons course...once you pay the $150 which I’ve done, you can return as many times as you like because it’s yours to keep.
Good luck in your studies, say a pray for me too please! That the Lord will give us both the Wisdom, Ability, and knowledge to not only learn this instrument but also to play it Skillfully as unto the Lord!
Thanks buddy,
Respectfully,
Jeffery Mercer

Hi Jeffrey-

As has been said, when getting on The Paul Franklin Method track, you are enrolling in a college level course. You can get in for a year for $59 a month for 12 months, the cost of a single hour of a Skype lesson from many other teachers out there. All subsequent years are $349 or $39 a month for 12 months.

New lessons are added regularly making the value go up while the cost remains the same, and you get easy access to Paul via the private Facebook Group.

We have carved out a few sections from the Method that let players access a smaller chunk at a lower cost for more concentrated study. Foundations cover the basics, Applications: Toolbox covers the next step after Foundations, C6 Essentials give you C6 basics.

All of the $99 tuitions for these courses are applicable at any time to the full Method, so you could could stay in Foundations for a year, then get into Toolbox (which includes another year of Foundations at no charge, making access to that material 24 months) and tackle the C6 neck after you have Foundations-level technique if you have one.

All of the material in those satellite courses are contained in the Method.

For those E9 players that simply don't have the time to commit to a serious study of the pedal steel for 12 months at a time, we'd suggest getting the Foundations course first and master the material (in however long that takes), then grab the Toolbox/Foundations bundle and mastering that material, then buying the never-expiring Paul Franklin's E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary course. By doing that you'd have the skills to play just about anything at a pro level. The 50+ licks in the Vocabulary course are essentially more practical applications of the basics learned in the earlier courses, the same approach and techniques Paul uses in his everyday playing and recording career. (Method students have access to the Vocabulary lessons at no charge while they remain enrolled in the Method.)

For those with the time and inclination to get more detailed and nuanced material, the Method is there, getting bigger and better all the time.

Hope that clarifies a few things, and thanks for being a Foundations student!

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 11:43 am    

Dennis, I see your situation and agree. Looks like John has answered the questions nicely. That should satisfy everyone's needs.

Dennis Montgomery

Western Washington
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 12:19 pm     Re: Too much...

John Spaulding wrote:

For those E9 players that simply don't have the time to commit to a serious study of the pedal steel for 12 months at a time, we'd suggest getting the Foundations course first and master the material (in however long that takes), then grab the Toolbox/Foundations bundle and mastering that material, then buying the never-expiring Paul Franklin's E9 Pedal Steel Vocabulary course. By doing that you'd have the skills to play just about anything at a pro level.

Thanks for that clarification John. Sounds like the Toolbox course might be a great next step for me...I'll check it out and see Winking

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 12:35 pm    

I still kick myself for not having found a way to attend Newman seminars featuring Buddy Emmons when the chance was there in the late 70's or so.

Studying with Paul Franklin is a rare chance to study with a pro master of our instrument, and the video course may not be around forever, things happen.

If you're planning to make a career from playing, look at it as a great investment in developing your knowledge and skills. It's likely to cut years off your learning path.

I actually recommend that students who graduate from my Skype lessons curriculum "E9 101: Bandstand Fundamentals", enroll in the Foundations course from Paul, which likely covers much the same content, but sometimes getting another take on information will somehow sink in better.

Jim Morris

Cincinnati Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2021 4:47 am    

As a student of Paul's method for 3 years now I can honestly say it is the best investment you could make if you want to become the best version of you. I am a student of the full method and have been since the beginning. The foundations course is perfect for a beginner player and you can upgrade to the full method if you choose.

The method is a living, breathing library of knowledge. People may say it is expensive (ithought this before joining too) but it us well worth every penny. You have 24 hour a day access to more knowledge than you will possibly learn in 5 years let alone 1. Consider the price for a private lesson of 1.5 ro 2 hours is at least $50. Now multiply that out by 52 if you take 1 lesson a week for a year and see what that will cost. I assure you is a great value. Not only that, but this is one of the best players ever. PLUS if you have Facebook you are able to interact with Paul personally.

No I am not a paid advertiser and ive never rbeen asked to pushthe method, as it speaks for itself. I am just totally satisfied eternal student who knows the value of this method. Anyonewho has actually put forth effort in pauls method will say the same thing; you won't be sorry.