The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tear Drop Knee Levers For A Super Pro
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 5:08 pm    

I seen a Super Pro here for sale that has tear drop knee levers. Where did they come from??? Never seen them before on a Super Pro.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2020 5:45 pm    

The only Curved knees I've ever seen made that would go on a later model (superpro era); knee Mount; was from John Coop and he passed away summer of 2011. Not sure if James Morehead continued that before he passed and Micheal Yahl at www.psgparts.com might have some we got from James and Coops passings.
So YES; there is/were some made and those on that Superpro you mentioned look like mint conditioned Curved knees from Coop.
Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 6:12 am    

James Morehead made some for my Super Pro, complete with the screw for angle adjustment. I agree... Michael Yahl would be the person to ask.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 4:58 pm    

Thank you Ricky and Skip. Never seen them before. I remember John Coop and James Morehead. I bought from them both. Both were good guys to deal with. I wonder what ever happened to their stock they had. I was going to buy a set of ball bearing fingers from John for a Bud I had at the time. John passed before I could get them from him.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 5:32 pm    

Kevin; many things were stolen from Coops house after he passed; but James and Teresa went over there at some point and got what was left(not sure all of what).
Then when James passed; there was a lot of moving around and Teresa moving and hauling stuff; but eventually I got ahold of Teresa and Michael went up there and took everything she had left over from Steel guitar work and parts from Coop and Morehead. It was me and Michaels idea to surprise everyone we could get ahold of that thought there steel was lost forever; and I took couple handfuls and michael did too and we finished every guitar James passed away and not finishing and surprised all them customers. Michael does still have some parts here and there; you'll have to contact him. Many things and guitars were still missing from the coop/morehead progression; but we did surprise and make a dozen or so guys happy with their finished pedal steel showing up at their doorstep.
Ricky

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 6:39 pm    

Ricky, I didn't know you guys did that with the unfinished guitars.
Hat's off to you both.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2020 8:42 pm    

Thanks Skip; and thanks to Michael Yahl for doing this with me, he actually drove the big van up there to pick everything up, I had sick mom to take care of. I loved hearing all those "dream come true" voices on the phone as many of them, of course, thought their Sho~bud died with James, as some did; but many didn't.
Life goes on.
Ricky

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 9:47 am    

My first guitar had one lever which was clearly a later addition to the straight eight pedals. I made three copies to bring it up to date. It was pull-release, so there was a bit of slack in the pulls but I didn't care!

When I built my uni 12 I stuck with the same design as I still had the template. They don't play any better - they just look cool!

Here are the left knees and the vertical

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2020 4:50 pm    

Ricky, Great to hear what you and Michael did. Last thing I got from Coop was a polished pedal bar. The last thing I bought from James was 2 knee lever assemblies. Talked with James and Teresa many times. Great people. I talked to Teresa after James passed and that was the last time a talked to her.