Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Justin Hayward on Poco
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2020 9:30 pm    

Joachim Kettner wrote:
Posted today on U-tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-108E50C5o

This totally brings out the Poco-Moody connection. I can hear both groups doing many of each other’s songs and doing them well. Imagine Poco doing See-Saw and the Moodies doing Rose Of Cimarron...

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2020 5:00 am    

Fred, I'm sure your comments are not lies. It's just that as we age, our brains are SO full of the incredible amount of knowledge we have accumulated there's sometimes just not room for it all in the same place! Laughing

Growing up in Rochester NY we had a couple local stations, but WKBW in Buffalo was preferred. At night, I could get Big 10 WCFL from Chicago which was somehow superior to other stations, or so it seemed. Of course these were rock stations. I seem to remember occasionally listening to CKLW but it was not a regular for me.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2020 7:16 am    

K Maul wrote:
After Pinder left they did the album LONG DISTANCE VOYAGER. The song IN MY WORLD had pedal steel prominently featured. BJ Cole played very close to Sneaky Pete in style on it. https://youtu.be/o1yCRF16wwk

In the early seventies in England there were quite a few bands that made County-Rock. Starry Eyed And Laughing, Moonrider and Unicorn and many more. BJ often played on their records.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2020 8:11 am    

Dave, your comment “The commonalities with the Moody Blues were great melodies, great harmony singing, tight instrumentation” I believe is that “something”. We’re talking about really well-crafted songs and delivery. I still am blown away by the composition and instrumental skill on the first album. Richie and Jimmy really hit the nail on the head (if only the mix was a little beefier).
Hate to rub it in for those of you who never saw Poco, but the first time I saw them was at Filmore West on Jimmy’s last night with them. Stellar vocals and playing! Such energy and joy! Last song was El Tonto..... with Rusty ending up with his steel tipped on end at the edge of the stage and a full band frenzy. Sad to find the great Procol Harum could hardly follow them.
Cat’s out of the bag.... I love these guys.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2020 8:23 am    

Joachim, thanks for mentioning these other bands.... I never knew. Starry Eyed and Laughing really impressed me. Poole does a convincing McGuinn, and McGeeny very Clarence White. I love discovering gems like this!
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 7:16 am    

Thanks Mike for checking out Starry Eyed And Laughing. The other band I was mentioning, Unicorn, was supported financially by David Gilmour who also produced this track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIq48D0vlPM

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2020 9:31 am    

Quote:
Hate to rub it in for those of you who never saw Poco ...

They were great live. I saw them in Boston, at the Music Hall, when they were recording Deliverin'. Everything was very tight musically, but still with a high energy level.

Ake Banksell

Stockholm, Sweden
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2020 8:19 am    

It comes to my mind that the song ”It’s up to you” which was the flipside of the Question of balance single here in Europe is the track you were aiming for. Sound pretty much like a steelguitar in the beginning. It’s also on the LP Question 1970.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2020 8:48 am    

Something else just occurred to me about the Moodiest music. The CDs “Moody Bluegrass I & II” speak to the songwriting and moods that Poco as well, employed in their material. Not bluegrass, but country rock. Like Fred suggested, it would be so fun to hear a Moodies take on “Good Feeling to Know” or even “Make Me a Smile”.

Speaking of tributes, has anyone heard the tribute to Buffalo Springfield “Five Way Street”, or the Beatles tribute “Come Together: America Salutes the Beatles”?

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2020 2:02 am    

Lately I started to appreciate the Beau Brummels, I've never really paid much attention to them before. The band's main songwrite was Ron Elliot (not the steel player with the same name). In the early seventies he was in a group called Pan. Their music reminds me of Poco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eGquHBqrrs

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2020 6:12 pm    

Joachim, you keep introducing me to great music, I really like Pan, definitely more Poco- like than Beau Brummels. Lady Honey reminds me of South City Midnight Lady, and the Puppet sounds like Michael Nesmith...... great stuff!

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2020 9:44 am    

Thanks Mike for your attention.