The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent for Williams D-12 Series 400?
Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 6:56 am    

I'm stringing up my (new to me) older Willy double twelve. It has four knees, eight floors but is currently only strung with both necks as ten-string.

Before I go and do something beyond my ability to un-do (I've seen me do this before!) does anyone know the original copedent? I'd like to understand the tuning, the string gauges and exactly what the original knees and floors did, so I can "unpack" any changes made by other players since it left the factory.

Thanks folks!

Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 7:51 am     Copedent

Go on “Williams Guitar” website ...all the copedent’s are shown there. Plus it has the rodding charts.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 8:30 am     Re: Copedent

Larry Ball wrote:
Go on “Williams Guitar” website ...all the copedent’s are shown there. Plus it has the rodding charts.

I did look there, first. It only has the current single twelve copedent, what they call E9/B6 S-12 Universal Tuning. Unless I've missed something? And this is my first Williams. I understand that some things have changed between the 400 and 700 series so I wonder if tuning/copedent has also changed.

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 8:44 am    

In my dealings with Williams Guitars, Bill has always been quick to respond to emails and is very helpful. He will also return your call if you leave a message. If no one has the information for you here, you might want to email him and ask him. At least you'll know the information is accurate if Bill provides it.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 8:47 am    

James Sission wrote:
In my dealings with Williams Guitars, Bill has always been quick to respond to emails and is very helpful. He will also return your call if you leave a message. If no one has the information for you here, you might want to email him and ask him. At least you'll know the information is accurate if Bill provides it.

Was hoping not to bother him if someone here already owns one and knows that info. Plus I'd like to change out the strings this weekend now that I have the time. Or? I could grab a beer and sit out on this beautiful almost-autumn day and not think about it! I've heard so many great things about Williams and will probably just email him Monday. Thanks for the heads-up.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 7:53 pm    

Kevin, I have 2 Williams D12's. Wonderful guitars! I added an A on string 11 and an E on string 12 on E9. I like the A as the root of A maj7th with pedal 1. Same with the E. I don't move it when lowering 4 and 8. On C6th, I have F# string 1, D string 2, G string 3. I have a knee that lowers the F# to F on string 1. There's a lot there. Have fun!

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 2:44 am    

Steve Mueller wrote:
Kevin, I have 2 Williams D12's. Wonderful guitars! I added an A on string 11 and an E on string 12 on E9. I like the A as the root of A maj7th with pedal 1. Same with the E. I don't move it when lowering 4 and 8. On C6th, I have F# string 1, D string 2, G string 3. I have a knee that lowers the F# to F on string 1. There's a lot there. Have fun!

Do you have the same copedent on BOTH Willies? I sure would love to see what you've got when you have a minute.

Steve Mueller

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2020 6:21 pm    

Kevin,
Yes, I had them set up exactly the same. I've made changes to my copedent, but when I do, I change both steels to match. I keep one in my studio, and one for gigs and sessions by the door. I'll be happy to give you my copedent for both necks but I can't print currently because I'm in the UP of Michigan until November without the proper computer setup for printing. If you want to message or email me I'll be glad to give it to you over the phone. It's fairly standard but has some significant differences.