The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Show us your MCI and EMCI psg's
John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2020 7:15 am    

I just picked this up yesterday from Damir Besic, real nice guitar! The original pickup, a "Barkless-Berry" as Bobbe used to call them, was removed and replaced with an E66 wich seems to be the perfect pickup for these guitars.

I am in the process of putting my 5 X 5 setup on it, I found all the parts I need except two. The plate with a hole in the center that holds one end of the pedal to the rack with 2 screws, and the other is a standard length pedal rod 24 3/8" from threaded end to the hook.

Anyone out there have these parts that they would sell?

Really pleased with this axe! Nice color, a blueish gray?

S/N 18574 Anyone know the build date?

BTW, this was originally a D-10, it was converted to an SD-10 by Johnny King of Lavergne, TN

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Mark Kuziak

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2020 3:25 pm    

Always second guessed whether mine had a legit logo until I found this pic. Anyone else have one with this logo on it? I think I have seen one other on the forum. Never did find out the history on it.
M

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 5:42 pm     Re: emci

billy tam wrote:
Here are a few pics of my EMCI. one of the seven I was told made as the Golden Eagle. This was built for Ron Elliott and is a great guitar.

I owned that guitar too. Two of the best guitars I ever owned was that one and the one I currently own.
Tommy Shown

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2020 5:44 pm    

Bobbe Seymour said these guitars were the best kept secret in Nashville. He was right.

Terje Uv

Norway
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 9:58 am    

Hi! First post here on the forum. I've got this MCI s10. It's my first and only pedal steel. Bought it in 2009 from a norwegian steel guitar player, Dag Wolf. Since I haven't tried any other steels I have nothing to compare with. But it sounds good, plays well and stays in tune very well. S/N is SS1001. Maybe someone here on the forum can tell me what year this was built? Posting a few more pics

Terje Uv

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2020 3:17 pm    

Terje, MCI serial numbers are a bit of a mystery. Your guitar is not a welded frame guitar so it should have been built no later than April of 1986.
While I'm not sure, I do not believe the "SS" numbers are serial numbers - the same number seems to appear on multiple guitars so I think it's something else.
If you can find any other number on it, I'd like to know. S/N's I've seen are stamped into aluminum, either an end plate or along an aluminum rail.
Also, if your guitar has a sticker on it (underneath) that may indicate a serial number or at least whether it's a Waco or Arlington guitar. The Waco guitars are earlier, '82 to '84ish I think.

Henry Brooks

Los Gatos, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2020 2:24 pm    

Your guitar appears to be the same variation as mine except mine is a SD-10 and the color is deep blue. It has the black pedals, open key head, back screwed into end plates not welded.
Model number is punched in just like yours but is H3009. Mine was made in 1985. Also it was made in Arlington.
Henry
P.S. mine is pictured here:
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=159350&sid=669aaec833c1e2a0edb27005284d59ba

Terje Uv

Norway
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2020 12:58 pm    

Thanks! I can not find any other numbers anywhere. Been looking everywhere, but nothing... At least I know it's made in the early eighties. I have been thinking about getting myself another guitar, so I can have one up for practice, one for gigs etc. There isn't a lot of steelguitars for sale here in Norway, but I recently found a GFI Expo sd 10 at a reasonable price. Would this guitar be in the same ballpark as far as playability, sound and quality goes? Maybe this is a question for another thread, but I thought I might as well ask the MCI owners here.

Terje

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2020 7:20 pm    

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 4 May 2020 5:21 pm     EMCI manufacturing

Can anyone give me an idea of when this guitar qas prodeuced? Thanks

So I confirmed that this serial number is cira 88'-89' ish

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2020 12:51 pm    

I was told that on account of the emblem on mine with "By Carter" underneath, it makes it a Waco guitar built in 82, 83, or 84. Anybody out there that can confirm this?

Thanks

NTSGA #3

"Practice cures most tone issues" ~ John Suhr

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 11:48 am    

John
Seems like all the Arlingtons I’ve seen don’t say by Carter. But won’t be surprised if there are exceptions to the rule. Terje’s Waco doesn’t say by Carter.... but who knows....

Terje
Yours looks just like mine (top of the thread), but mine’s welded.

Here’s the recent thread showing Buddy on his black MCI. He sounds ok Laughing
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=357854
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 2:54 pm    

Quentin it will definitely be after late 86 ... I got my MCI Rangexpander D10 in April 86 and it was built in Arlington, and a few months later they changed to the EMCI name... not sure how the serial numbers go but mine is LA3067 (D10s) ...so obviously they didn't build as many S10's if your serial number is SL1058 ... !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2020 9:22 pm    

Did they make 12 strings?
John

Brian Hollands

Geneva, FL USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 4:28 am    

Yes. As far as I know all were 7 and 4 U-12s. I have one pictured earlier in the thread.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 21 May 2020 4:59 am    

The thing about MCI guitars I hate is that besides the early Barcus Berry pickups, they used a ton of BL705s and many of them have been scavenged out of the guitars and replaced with other pickups.

I think the 705 might have been the best thing about the MCI guitars besides going to the welded frame.

I had one very close to Paddy's serial number that had GL 10-1s that the owner swore were the original pickups. I know they used different ones over the years.

That doesn't change anything about the build quality of course, and many people find them great guitars still. I know the one I had sounded just fine, but I couldn't help wondering how it would be with the 705s. Snobbery? Maybe. Nerdy? Maybe. Gearhead? Guilty.

I just don't think they are the same guitar without the 705. Occasionally one will pop up for sale here that has the original BL's but rarely. Many times they have been switched out for something else as they bring a nice price these days.

I remember going to the ISGC the first or second year they were in production. Red Rhodes was there with about a dozen of them on display and all of them had the 705s. I think these were the first production before the welded frames.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 21 May 2020 11:47 am    

Taking inspiration from the Domland Stereo I had years before, I added some much needed rhinestones to the fretboard if a D-10 I once had..

I believe that this is what EMCI owners should do to their fretboards.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2020 5:30 am    

Any one else?
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2020 12:20 pm    

Here's my D10. 8x8, Tonealigners, Michael Yahl's adjustable return springs. One of the MCI's Frank Carter modded before building his Infinity's, undercarriage very similar to an Infinity. Frank built this one for Jay Dee, who sounded incredible on it, me somewhat less so. Not as refined as an Infinity, but a great axe, nonetheless. I also have a black welded frame model Frank converted to SD-10, 3x5, Kroger neck. Similar undercarriage with Infinity style bellcranks and pull rods.
Considerably lighter.

Last edited by Peter Freiberger on 25 Dec 2021 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 2:07 pm    

Very nice Peter - it's almost as populated as my 9 and 8 :-} ... I put Michael Yahls adjustable return springs on mine too when I was doing my full refurbish! .. makes the guitar complete !!!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Dyke Corson

Fairmount, IL USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2020 6:54 pm    

Here's 3 pics of the same guitar, Buddy playing it with old and new logos (yes Jeff put a sheet over his head) - I'm guessing he must have swapped out the old decal for a new one. He indicated to me this guitar had the original proto type E66 pickups on it.

Bill C. Buntin

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2020 6:54 am    

The bl705 has always been the best pickup for me with the mci

I didn’t care for the barcus berry’s

As far as Carter made. Still my favorite one of these was the early Carter made Arlington guitar. Non welded. The ones I’ve owned were just fantastic tone monsters.

I do think the gene fields welded frame mci and emci was a huge improvement overall. And is what I use still today. Without a doubt the most rock solid tunable guitar I’ve ever owned.

I would like to some day find a good u12 mci.

Another thing is they are easy to work on.

The only thing I wish it had was split tuners. I use the extra rod method still. Which works fine.

Incidentally the rhinestones are cool. I even thought about putting led lights where the rhinestones are.....??

Bill

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2021 11:24 pm    

Hey, here's another variation of the EMCI badge, the third one I've seen on this thread...

Ryan Lunenfeld

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 11:46 am    

Some pics of a newly acquired EMCI:

Serial # HA 3148. It doesn't seem to have a sticker inside saying where it's from, and the logo has fallen off.

But the thing sounds great. My first PSG...I think it's a keeper!

Right now just trying to learn e9th, got it tuned to b0b's tuning dloaded on from the Paterson site, thanks b0b! Very Happy

David Rattray

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2021 12:47 pm    

Laughing Laughing Laughing ...