The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Spark Amp
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 4:56 pm    

Dale Stacy wrote:
My friend received one a few days ago & wanted me to try it out.
Mistake on my part. Had to have one. Unbelievable sound coming
Out of such a small amp. Great reverb & delay .
Much better than the Peavey 112 in my opinion.

Dale, what amp sound were you using on the Spark to compare it to the 112?

Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 2:54 pm    

I’ve been looking at these little amps, and have read this thread too. It sounds very interesting, for sure. The size of this amp is appealing too, and the price is in my ballpark. I’ll keep checking back here for more info and reviews.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 1:08 am    

Dave Meis wrote:
I ordered one 2 weeks ago, and it's supposed to ship this week. Don't quite understand how they can have them 'in stock' and not be able to ship them sooner, but looking forward to getting it.

did you ever receive the amp ?

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 8:55 am    

I haven't.. they said it was scheduled to ship between the 17th-20th. I hadn't gotten a notification of it shipping, so I wrote them on the 20th to ask if we were still on schedule, but have heard nothing back. I wrote them before, and it took a couple of days to hear back. When I tried to use the tracker on their website, it didn't recognize my email addy, which is why I wrote them..

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 9:00 am    

I no sooner hit 'post' on my reply above when I got a response from them that it's shipped and Fed Ex says I'll have it on the 25th...

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 9:43 am    

For anyone who wants one,,NOW!!

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=361075

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2020 11:19 am    

Sonny Jenkins wrote:
For anyone who wants one,,NOW!!

https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=361075

PM sent.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 3:34 am    

while the amp looks kool and the demo's are kool, the purchase and shipping procedure is pretty darn alarming. Not just on this site, but pretty much ALL music related forums.

While they advertise " IN STOCK" its apparent that they are NOT in stock.

How much cash have they taken in over the last couple of months ( order and pay ) with delayed deliveries while advertising "IN STOCK" .

IF this was an Investment Brokerage business they would already be in jail ! Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Bill Duncan

Lenoir, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 10:34 am    

I received my Spark amp 7/29/20. I now use it for all my steel guitar picking in my picking studio. As a matter of fact, it sits atop my old Session 400, (my favorite amp). I have not explored all the bells and whistles, but I have settled on a setting and only tweak the tone a little if there are several pickers in my studio. All the controls are very expressive and functional at doing what they say they do. I still like it a lot, it was a good purchase...I almost forgot. I like the built-in delay and reverb, they are very good sounding functions built into the Spark.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 23 Aug 2020 12:04 pm    

I was scouring through all the info on the Spark web page, and I see a couple of familiar amp models - Twin Reverb, and Bassman. There are many others listed that I've not heard of. No Peavey products are listed. I'm interested in trying settings based on the twin.

They have amp modeling listings, owners manual, and other info on the web site.

If anyone else here gets one of these amps and finds some good models and settings that work for you, it would be appreciated.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 1:17 pm    

It took about 2 weeks for mine to be delivered. Just starting to experiment. Remember this is just a practice amp. Some samples below. To much reverb on these samples. Still have much experimenting to do.

https://clyp.it/mj3ygya0

https://clyp.it/user/cxmjvrph

Ron

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 1:26 pm    

I think these amps can be as simple or as complicated as you want them to be. More than likely, I'll be experimenting with settings using the knobs on the amp, just like I would do on a N112, or another common amp. When I find what I like, I'll save it in one of the presets. I may go for one bright, and one more mellow. When we find some good settings for PSG, we ought to upload them to the Spark cloud thing for others to download and try out.

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 1:32 pm    

Last edited by Bill McCloskey on 25 Sep 2020 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 3:36 pm    

Bill McCloskey wrote:
Ron, how did you record that? Is that the soeakers or straight to the computer via usb?

Just with my iPhone. Nothing fancy.

You can tell Positive Grid left out Country players which is a big market. Guitars, steel, fiddle and so on.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2020 4:49 pm    

Yep, they left out country completely. They don't even have a category for it. I saved some amp models in the "Alternative" section, just so I could find them.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 5:46 pm    

Some video with the Spark.

Just remember, it's only a practice amp.

VIDEO HERE

Ron

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2020 7:06 am    

Ron that sounds real good for a practice amp. Impressive tone.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2020 7:36 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Ron that sounds real good for a practice amp. Impressive tone.

Thx Larry. But still experimenting stage. I have 3 other tones to try.

Just yesterday I noticed they put several country rhythm tracks in that are pretty decent. So you could play along with them just for practicing and warming up.

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2020 4:14 am    

I found a surprise with my Spark amp. A friend tried my Spark and put the APP on his phone as well. While playing some strange things came through the Spark as it picked up things from the other phone in proximity. It is no big deal after we found what was going on. The little amp searches for and latches on to the phone very well,

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2020 5:20 am    

Here's a sample of my attempt to record with it. Short steel sample but long track.

AUDIO HERE

Ron

Bill Duncan

Post  Posted 17 Sep 2020 6:37 am    

Tony Prior wrote:
While I would agree this is an interesting amp in the $200 to $300 range, I read above that we may start the comparison thing like mentioned to a Blues Jr. The 15 watt Blues Jr, El84 based, is Fender's response to the VOX line of small amps, such as the AC15. While many use it, I included for small guitar gigs and now and then rehearsal ( with the Steel) its purpose is not to be a clean amp, it doesn't even sound like other Fender 6V6 or 6L6 amps.

The SPARK is quite a nice concept. Well thought out apparently. 40 watts, 2x4 inch speakers, I guess the jury will report back! Very Happy

There will be comparisons which are a good thing. I do think that the fact this is designed, built, and marketed as a practice amp should be remembered. I love the darn thing! But, that is my opinion and is just that, my opinion. I use it in my studio exclusively now for practice and jamming with friends. Other than the onboard reverb and echo, I don't mess with the do-dads, I have accompaniment recordings and rhythm tracks on my GB10 that I play through my powered steel seat when I play alone. The convenience of the size, the sound, and the fact that unlike my larger amps I have a good sound without blowing everyone else off their seat.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2020 1:02 pm    

Go on the cloud and search steel guitar. It will take you to my setting. But you’ll still have to tweak. The head phone Jack out sounds different compared to using the speakers. But my setting will get you close. Then tweak away.

This sample is with the speakers vs. the last sample I did direct. Short C6 sequence.

click here

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 29 Dec 2020 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2020 11:54 am    

More SPARK amp testing. Is it for STEEL GUITAR? Well, it's only a practice amp, remember that. For players that are new and can't pay a lot, plus light and 40 watts. Two 4" speakers. Lots of sample amps built in, tuner and delays, reverbs, modulation effects. Bluetooth, sample tracks to practice with (even Country tracks).

Again, it looks like so far it would be a good enough practice amp and very light weigh. I've posted some of the info on this before, but this is another video sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKmdqA8mMZk

Here again is an audio example of me recording with the SPARK.
https://clyp.it/irejmqck

Ron

Ronald Moore

Mindoro, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 9:53 am    

There was some concern on delivery time. I ordered mine on Oct 18 and got it today (Oct 22). That is as good as it gets, I think. I've just played with it just a little but using preset 3 it sounds pretty good. I haven't really experimented with it much yet.

Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2020 11:52 am    

I've only used mine for a short while over at a friends house (he has a steel, and I'm waiting on mine). It filled up his music room (former bedroom) with room to spare. I didn't turn it up full blast, maybe 50%, and it was plenty loud enough in the small room. It has plenty of everything we tried, to include bass and treble. It sounded clean. So far, I've downloaded and installed the Fender Twin Reverb and Fender Bassman models into mine. Once I start getting into it on a regular basis, I'll experiment more, probably dialing up my own sound and program it into the amp. Mine didn't come with the bag they advertise, and apparently they don't sell them individually. I have a nice, cheap, Husky brand tool bag from Home Depot that works like a charm.