The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Session 115 Discontinued
William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 7:21 am    

While searching for my ideal amp, I stumbled across the Peavey Session 115. I think it sounds great, but apparently it wasn't a success in the market for whatever reason. Does anybody know why Peavey stopped making this amp? Was anything wrong with it? I am still thinking about buying one at this point. Any pros/cons would be appreciated.

Evan Pachal

Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 8:09 am     Peavey Session 115

Hello!
I have had the Session 115 for several months now and it sounds good to me. Took some time getting it set with my Mullen G2 and Benado Steel Dream. Ultimately, I'd would like to buy the Quilter Travis Toy model amp as I've heard nothing but great things about that amp.
Did not hear that Peavey discontinued making this amp.
I think Quilter has been the choice for alot of Steel players lately...
All the best,
Evan in Saskatchewan Canada

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 8:46 am     ?

I haven't heard anything about the 115 being discontinued either...maybe someone can enlighten us...

SH

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 8:58 am    

Quilter is supposed to be releasing a new pedal steel amp sometime later this month. I guess I will wait to see what they come up with before buying another Peavey.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 11:40 am    

The NV115 is no longer listed on the Peavey site so probably has been discontinued.

I have a TT12 amp and since Travis also has a signature 15" Eminence speaker wouldn't surprise me if that is what the new Quilter steel amp is.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 2:03 pm    

I had wondered how long the 115 would survive when I did not see very many reports from new owners. I tried one at the Dallas show three years ago and thought it was a heck of a nice amp, and if I had any use for a new amp that one sure would have been on my short list to consider. It had gobs of power, lots of nice features including built in effects, really did not weigh much and was priced right. Maybe people think paying twice as much for another amp makes them sound better, I don't understand it. No disrespect intended, of course.

We will see how long the Nashville 112 survives. Peavey is probably just keeping them as a courtesy.

The times, they are a' changin'.

Dale McPherson

Morristown, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2020 4:10 pm    

I have one and absolutely love it. If they are discontinued.....I might should try to buy a spare.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2020 10:02 am    

According to my source at Peavey the Session 115 is on temporary hold during all the shutdowns. Hopefully back up and running soon.

FYI. The same happened to several items that have not been big sellers.

I love my 115
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Brandon Mills

Victoria, TX. USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2020 2:03 pm    

Doug Earnest wrote:
Maybe people think paying twice as much for another amp makes them sound better, I don't understand it. No disrespect intended, of course.

Well some things are more expensive because they are better, but not always lol.

I realize Bill has said this is just a temporary hold on production, but to speak to the aspect of not many people buying and positively reviewing the 115 my thoughts are this:

Peavey is not the company they once were, shifting parts and manufacturing to China, that Undercover Boss episode probably didn’t help their reputation either. ACAIK they still have fantastic support, but not the Peavey of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s for sure.

The other aspect is I think they shot themselves in the foot with the Session 115 from the get go. People had been requesting built-in delay for as long as the Profex, TubeFex, Transtube Fex, and Session 2000 stopped manufacturing and Peavey just waited way too long to give it to them. By the time Peavey responded with the Session 115 the focus had already shifted to scaled down rigs, big racks were starting to wain and big combo amps were gone. People were needing controllable, cartable rigs that don’t get them in trouble the the FOH sound-man immediately upon load in. Look how well those nasty sounding (IMO of course) GK heads sold for steel guitar. Big sacrifice in tone (again IMO) for portability. I just think Peavey missed the mark with this product launch.

William Carter

Cedar Rapids, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2020 4:05 pm    

Bill, that makes sense that the shutdown would put things on hold for a while. I got my info from a Peavey dealer who I guess didn't know the whole story. I'm glad to find out they haven't stopped production, since I really liked the one that I heard in person.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2020 2:13 am    

The Nashville 112 spelled doom for the Nashville 1000. Probably the same thing for the 115. Local music store, last I checked, still had a 115 for sale that they have had since they came out.

Thijs Kappen

Netherlands
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 2:41 am    

I think the shut-down-production is not temporarely.
Most of the Peavey-dealers in Europe stopped with ordering amps, etc. In Europe is not one firm, that wants to do the import! The dealers don't want to trade with the (undercover) boss of Peavey. And I have a lot of Peavey amps and effects and speakers and ...

Wish you a good steelday
Thijs Kappen
The Netherlands

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2020 9:01 am    

Unless there's some kind of miracle and live playing for profit comes back, IMO we're likely to see instrument building contract even further.....Could be an opportunity for mechanically and electrically knowledgeable folks to get into the maintenance and repair biz!