The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Firefox Slow
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 6:22 pm    

Since the last big Windows 10 update a week or so ago, it takes a long time for Firefox to start. Even get a not responding message sometimes. It will eventually start however.

Firefox has a message to possibly reset Firefox to help speed things up but warns that some things may be lost in preferences etc.

Advice whether to do a PC reset back to a previous version or reset the Firefox browser. Thanks for your help. I think I'm using version 79 in Firefox and logging in as a secondary user 99.9% of the time.

This update screwed up my desktop, background, screen saver etc. So annoying, it takes a lot of time to hunt things down to re-config.

Jim Fogle

North Carolina, Winston-Salem, USA
Post  Posted 8 Aug 2020 10:49 am    

Jerry,

I'm sorry to read you're having an issue with Firefox. Firefox V79.0 64 bit is my main browser on two computers. Both computers are running Windows 10 Home build 2004. Firefox has not slowed down on either machine. My thought is it might be specific to your computer. I would uninstall Firefox, reboot the computer and then do a fresh install of Firefox.

One thought you might want to consider. Firefox allows you to set up an online account where you can store a backup of your browser settings and move your settings between computers. I've used the feature several times to restore my browser settings.

You can access the feature by clicking on the three lines in the top, right corner of your browser window.
Cakewalk by Bandlab Computer DAW
Zoom MRS-8 8 Track Hardware DAW

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 5:54 am    

Thanks for the info Jim.

Wiz, do you have any advice concerning a Firefox reset as suggested by Mozilla?

Wiz Feinberg

Mid-Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2020 7:22 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Thanks for the info Jim.

Wiz, do you have any advice concerning a Firefox reset as suggested by Mozilla?

Before I reset Firefox I disable all extensions, especially Facebook Container. If that restores the speed I remove the offending extension, or permanently disable unwanted, unremovable ones (e.g., Facebook Container).

Generally speaking, Firefox isn't slow on my 3 computers. The Internet itself slows down from time to time as more and more people are staying home than before.

If you choose to reset Firefox, tell it to save your settings, preferences, bookmarks and logins. Setup Firefox Sync to save these things online for future retrieval All extensions will be removed and the browser will revert to its fresh state.
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog

Harold Dye

Cullman, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 10:09 am    

I use firefox and it seems to be slowing down. It does not do it on every site I go to. I have some sites I visit and sometimes it will not download the info and I keep trying to open it and it will finally open and then will do it again. I don't know if the problem is with the site or firefox. Should I uninstall firefox and then reinstall.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2021 10:17 am    

I've always hated Firefox because it was slow.