The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gig Bag for Dobro: Recommendations
Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2020 12:10 pm    

Hey Gang,

Thinking about getting a gig bag for my Beard Vintage R. I'd love to get some thoughts on what people like/dislike about different makes and models.

Thanks,

Ian

Jeff Harbour

Western Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2020 1:07 pm    

I haven't tried any other brand, but I'm very happy with my Gator Gig Bag:
https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/gig-bags/gbe/dreadnought-guitar-gig-bag-gbe-dread/

I use this bag for a McKenna 8-string Reso (heavy guitar with a very thick neck). The big accessory pocket has fit everything I have needed so far. I also use many other Gator bags and cases for other purposes as well. They are great!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2020 1:53 pm    

Ian, check out Blue Heron in Humboldt County (Carlotta, near Fortuna).

I have a Blue Heron soft case for my Clinesmith Model B 8-string lap steel. Excellent quality.

Todd Clinesmith has been working with them for years. When he ordered the case for me a few years ago he told me that he has been to bluegrass festivals where guys with very expensive vintage Martins are seen carrying their guitars in Blue Heron soft cases.

They can make you about anything you want:

https://www.blueheroncases.com/

Frank Nims

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2020 4:15 pm    

I got a Boulder CB-362 for my Gretsch Boxcar. Fits nicely, lots of pockets, just fine for hand-carrying the guitar around.

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2020 10:28 am    

Thanks everybody for taking the time to respond. I'm going to have to look into these.

Thanks again,

Ian

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2020 1:26 pm    

I use this gig bag for my Beard Odyssey squareneck:
https://www.gatorcases.com/products/guitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/classical-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-classic/

It protects as well as a case. You don't have to be super careful with it like you are with a gig bag that just has a layer of foam. The downside is that it is as bulky and heavy as a case. I prefer it over a case because of the carrying straps.

When I had a less expensive dobro I used a simple gig bag similar to the Gator bag in Jeff's post. I felt like I always had to baby it - when packing gear in a car I always had to made sure to put the gig bag on top so it wouldn't get crushed.

Later I got a Travelite. It was inexpensive but it was bulky and the straps and zipper didn't feel too solid.
https://www.amazon.com/Travelite-TL-60-Deluxe-Classical-Resophonic/dp/B000UGD1VY

I noticed Jeff uses a dreadnought sized bag for his 8-string. For most dobros like your Vintage R you want a classical guitar sized bag.

Michael Brebes

Northridge CA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2020 6:59 am    

I used a case, similar to the one you had a link for, for my classical guitar while I was going to school for my Bachelors degree in Music. I think it was a styrofoam shell and heavier than a regular gig bag but offered a lot more protection. I think the styrofoam shell started giving way years later so replaced it with a regular hard case.
Dickerson MOTS/Dobro D32 Hawaiian/
Goldtone Paul Beard Reso

Mesa Boogie Studio Pre/Hafler 3000
RP1/MPX100

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2020 5:14 am    

Resist the temptation to use your resophonic in a gig bag on your back as a backrest. I did this at stopovers during a flight from east to west coast and caved in a screen hole.
The biggest value in a gig bag for me is that the airlines are more likely to let you bring an instrument into the cabin if it's not in a hard-shell case. I witnessed my dobro in hard-shell case being pitched into the hold from the tarmac once.

Ian

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2020 3:12 pm    

Thanks everyone!

I went with the Boulder Alpine. It should be arriving this week. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

Ian