The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for a steel guitar teacher in the North Austin area
Russell Melton

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2020 7:28 pm    

Please message me if you or someone you know offers lessons in the area. The only thing I've found is in downtown/south and I'm hoping to cut down on the commute and find someone local if possible.

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 6:33 am    

Howdy neighbor! I may be proven wrong but when I was looking for a lap steel teacher nearby the eventual consensus here and the Austin Steel facebook group was to try Skype lessons. If I had a pedal steel I'd probably fork out the dough for the Franklin Method, it sounds outstanding. Obviously YMMV. Good luck!

Jim

Russell Melton

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Mar 2020 9:36 am    

Jim Pollard wrote:
Howdy neighbor! I may be proven wrong but when I was looking for a lap steel teacher nearby the eventual consensus here and the Austin Steel facebook group was to try Skype lessons. If I had a pedal steel I'd probably fork out the dough for the Franklin Method, it sounds outstanding. Obviously YMMV. Good luck!

Jim

Thanks for the reply! Yeah the only thing I've been able to find is a guy that offers lessons downtown, but I'm all the way up in Hutto and it's a 2 hour round trip to get to downtown and I hate the parking hastle. You may be right about Skype lessons I'll look into that. And whew you ain't lying, that Franklin Method is pricey!

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2020 6:28 am    

Russell Melton wrote:
...And whew you ain't lying, that Franklin Method is pricey!

I don't know enough to teach you anything, but I will thoroughly recommend the Franklin Method. I just signed up for a third year. I knew nothing when I started, now I'm reasonably comfortable on both E9th and C6th necks. The lessons are many and deep, and I've found that every one of them has little hidden nuggets of sound, technique, music, and inspiration that make it obvious your teacher is a master.

--Al Evans

Russell Melton

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2020 9:25 am    

Al Evans wrote:
Russell Melton wrote:
...And whew you ain't lying, that Franklin Method is pricey!

I don't know enough to teach you anything, but I will thoroughly recommend the Franklin Method. I just signed up for a third year. I knew nothing when I started, now I'm reasonably comfortable on both E9th and C6th necks. The lessons are many and deep, and I've found that every one of them has little hidden nuggets of sound, technique, music, and inspiration that make it obvious your teacher is a master.

--Al Evans

Thanks for your input! I guess really when you look at it, that's the same price I would pay for like 11 lessons at $50 an hour. I'll look a little more closely at this course, it may be exactly what I need

Al Michalczak

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2020 2:15 pm     teacher

Jody Cameron has on line lessons that are very informative. Give him a call.
Al

James Sission

Sugar Land,Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2020 12:41 pm    

I would send a PM to Ricky Davis, Neil Flanz or Herb Stiener. One of them would probably be able to help you or point you to someone who can.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 6:37 am    

Bob Hoffnar.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2020 6:39 am    

At this stage of things, all lessons should be online via Skype or Zoom or other streaming app, so you can have your pick of teachers from all over the country now.

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2020 12:33 pm    

Neil Flanz the guy, old timer too, took a few lessons from him when he lived in Hollywood, Florida.

Matthew Dyer

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2020 12:09 pm    

I'll also add that the Paul Franklin Method did wonders for me as I am learning. I do think there's some magic to in-person lessons as well; having someone correct my hand posture early on got me started down the right path. (When I lived in Austin, I did a lesson with Bob Hoffnar in my home and it was worth every penny.)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2020 8:36 am    

I no longer teach, but I'd recommend Neil Flanz for in-person lessons. He literally wrote the first two books on steel instruction. He doesn't drive, but lives in South Austin. Five-1-2- 3-eight-3- zero-8-4-2. Great teacher!

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?