The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fishman Loudbox Performer Amp
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 6:07 am    

Has anyone else tried these amps for steel? I’ve been using one now for about 6 months and think they are awesome. They have two separate channels if you play another instrument. I play fiddle also and sounds great on fiddle too.
If you getting old like me and tired of these 50, 60 or so pound amps then you may want to try one. It’s 29 lbs and 180 watts with lots of other features and around $600 will get you one. You can also get one with blue tooth. No, I don’t have any connection with company at all. Just thought I’d put the word out if anyone wants to save their back. I think they sound much better than the Nashville 112.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tom Dillon

La Mesa, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 6:54 am    

I had one for a few years and used it for fiddle. It's pretty good for that. I tried it for steel and I didn't like the sound at all. Kinda thin. I eventually sold it since it didn't sound that great when turned up to keep up with my loudish band.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 8:03 pm    

If it sounds better than the Nashville 112 that should interest alot of people.
I have a Loudbox Mini, 60 watts, 21 lbs. I have played steel through it on occasion, sounds acceptable to me. After a while I miss the sweetness of tubes, which I prefer.
John

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2020 11:43 pm    

The 180 watt version if set correctly has a warn tune sound and some very sparkley highs it very smooth. No more am I carrying these 60::and 70 lb chunks lead when they don’t sound a bit better than the 29 lb Fishman.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2020 4:13 pm    

Henry I have a Loubox Artist 100w I use for my Dobro setup., but haven't tried it for steel .... my Telonics TCA500 is not exactly heavy anyway so I probably won't be using the Fishman for steel - I can see where it would be handy though.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2020 8:31 am    

Thanks for everyone’s input. Paddy, I also have the Loudbox mini and did play steel thru it one night on a show. We lined it out and even though the sound was good, it just didn’t have the punch that you need for steel for sustain. The 180 watt performer does and especially like the 2 independent channels.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2020 4:55 am    

I had a Fishman Loudbox that was the tri-amped model. Somewhere around 200 watts. I decided to try it at rehearsal (loud band), and it totally sucked. Not even good for rehearsals.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2020 7:36 am    

Thanks for everyone’s input. Paddy, I also have the Loudbox mini and did play steel thru it one night on a show. We lined it out and even though the sound was good, it just didn’t have the punch that you need for steel for sustain. The 180 watt performer does and especially like the 2 independent channels.

John Jeansonne

Texas, United States
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2023 11:15 pm    

I have two Fishman Loudbox amps which I use for fiddle. The amps (Fishman Pro and Fishman Artist) are stacked. My fiddle sounds really good through those amps. I will be getting my first steel guitar soon and I’m interested to see how it will sound using those. If I don’t like, I can run through my Nashville 400. Or heck, I might even try running through Nashville 400 in combination with a Loudbox.

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 8:24 am     Fishman Acoustic Amps

My $.2 cents….I’ve had the Mini, Artist and now the Performer. I use the Performer for Acoustic instruments only: Fiddle, Banjo, and Taylor guitar. My 2003 NV 112 with Chip Upgrade and original Blue Marvel is voiced for steel and at this writing/second, is my go-to steel. Just out of curiosity, I tried running my MSA setup/rig through the Performer…”that’s all I got to say bout dat”….🤔😉. Glad it works for others and as Henry said, the amp is super light!

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 4:39 pm    

Henry , would you be so kind as to post your settings . I would like to try it . Thanks.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2023 6:52 pm    

I turn lows to about 12 o’clock, mids all way off and highs on about 1. That setting works for my Magnum and my push pull. I have gain and master about 12 o’clock. I use the first reverb. You can adjust it to your taste.

Karol Wainscott

Kokomo , Indiana
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2023 11:37 am    

Thanks so much Henry , I do appreciate it . I am playing a GFI SD-10 Ultra .