| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I won another Million!
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 10:58 pm    

Latest phone scam I'm getting is a message claiming to be from amazon concerning possible fraudulent use of an account. They leave a Memphis area code phone number to call which will cost you a bundle.

Of course Amazon would never call you. They would contact you through your account info, provided you are a customer.

Caller ID shows my own personal phone number as the source of the incoming call. How dumb do they think I am?

Basically, if you receive phone messages asking you to call a number it's probably bogus. Always do an internet search on a number and verify it's who they say they are before you call it back.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 4:44 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
They leave a Memphis area code phone number to call which will cost you a bundle.

Always do an internet search on a number and verify it's who they say they are before you call it back.

Why would Memphis cost you a bundle? Maybe in the old days when long distance cost extra, but I doubt there's anybody left who does not have free calling anywhere in the continental US.

An internet search may be useless. Scammers now frequently....I can't recall the term for it...take over somebody's number. The number on Caller ID shows a real person, and it's their real number, but it's NOT them calling you. Another thing to help fool you is it's often from your area code and even the first 3 local digits as yours so you think it must be someone nearby.

On 2 or 3 occasions, I have even looked at Caller ID and seen that it was me calling myself - had my name, and our number. Listen, if I'm going to talk to myself, I don't need the telephone to do so! Laughing

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 5:34 am    

The other scam I've noticed lately is the bogus Amazon order (complete with an order number) where they obviously want you to click on a link. It's usually something like "We need to talk to you about delivery of the 70" Sanyo television you ordered"
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 6:40 am    

Quote:
Another thing to help fool you is it's often from your area code and even the first 3 local digits as yours so you think it must be someone nearby.

Yes, I've noticed that. The b@$tards tricked me into listening to robo messages a couple of times by using local phone numbers.

Okay, this thread is getting entirely too serious! Laughing
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 7:49 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Okay, this thread is getting entirely too serious! Laughing

I love the fact that you mess with them. I have a friend that does that, but I've never had the patience to do it. I'll try it next time I get one of those calls from an actual live telemarketer v. a bot.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 9:58 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

I love the fact that you mess with them. I have a friend that does that, but I've never had the patience to do it. I'll try it next time I get one of those calls from an actual live telemarketer v. a bot.

String them along asking all sorts of technical and financial questions, then when they can almost smell a sale, tell them "I have to go now, my mommy needs to use the phone". Laughing

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 10:10 am    

One time when I was busy and running behind schedule, the phone rang and I foolishly answered it, and a happy voice said "Hi! This is Heather from Amazing Vacations!" I said... "Heather, why don't you get a real job and stop bothering people!" ...and I hung up the phone. Mad Laughing She hit me at the wrong time.
Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Aug 2020 12:04 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I do Not miss the good old days... prior to answering machines, caller ID, and voicemail. We were like slaves to the telephone. We would drop everything and run to answer the phone, and it was often a telemarketer! Mad

Isn't that the truth? I have often thought of how the phones I grew up with -- phones with physical bells in them, inspired "alert status" when they rang. In contrast, I sometimes hear my cell phone ringing in the background and say to myself, "Was that my phone? Yeah... I think it was. I'll check later." I think part of the difference is that in the old days, if you didn't catch that call and the caller didn't call back, you never found out who you missed.

Jeff