The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  a dispute (closed)
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 6:01 am    

I purchased a red lacquer cut-tail Emmons from William "Jack Goodson" on July 8, 2020. Although the photos suggested it may have issues it was represented by him as fully functional and professionally set up. It is neither. I have tried for weeks to get it playable, but set screws continue to slip on their shafts and the other mechanical issues are beyond my skill level to address. Much as I have tried all I have accomplished is to frighten my dog with the noises I make, so I am done.

I paid top dollar for an unplayable guitar, so after realizing what was up I called and asked for a refund, but he was unwilling to consider it, blaming me and the shippers for issues that were clearly present before it was shipped. I am now proceeding to Paypal to force a refund.

Never piss off a nice guy, they don't mind taking a hit now and then but they take great lengths to avoid what it feels like to be pissed off, when it happens they will do whatever is required to make it stop, and that muy pronto.

Last edited by Dave Grafe on 6 Aug 2020 6:33 am; edited 4 times in total

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 6:23 am    

I am sorry Dave. That is terrible. No one deserves that kind of treatment.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 6:31 am     ?

leo, as paul harvey said, there is a rest of the story....jack

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 6:40 am    

You go ahead on and defend selling a misrepresented, untunable, unplayable guitar on the forum for $4700, Jack. You told me all about all the good work you do on other people's guitars, but this one won't even tune up because the tuning machines are so sloppy, most of the changes don't come up or return in tune, bellcranks slip on their shafts, pullrods are binding, you can't say that is the shipper's fault or mine.

Give me back my money and I will ship it back on my own dime so you can find another mark, but hopefully not here on the SGF.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 6:49 am     emmons?

dave, i did not misrepresent anything, but if there is any problem please send the guitar back to me and i will make it right. i played the guitar on memorial day weekend and had nothing but a lot of compliments on it. it would have been different if you had mentioned this before now. dave also mentioned to me that he is trying to raise money for payment on purchase of a new home? i am not going to get in a battle over this but if it has a problem i will take care of it?....thanks jack

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 7:31 am    

Sir, you are mistaken. I told you when I first got it that I would have to take it to Lynn Stafford and spend $2k to make it playable. My bad for thinking I could afford the hit instead of returning it immediately. If you thought it was fine when you sent it how and why should I accept that you are even able to "make it right" when you apparently could not tell the difference before you sold it, when you "played it in Memorial Day and got nothing but compliments?" Are you unable to tell when bellcranks are slipping so badly as to be utterly useless? When tuners are too sloppy to tune? When changes won't come back in tune or stay in tune on a PP? These are not shipping problems. I'm sorry I can no longer trust you.

As for buying a house, my money is in place already, but the need to examine my finances has prompted me to stop being such a nice guy pushover for resell artists like you. I have always striven to put love on it, to walk the extra mile in the face of conflict, but perhaps I have been too willing to accept being take advantage of. I know you have already spent the money, it is a tragic affair for all concerned, but you will have to find a way this time because it is you who are responsible for this boondoggle and I am no longer willing to eat the losses. I will happily return it to you on my own dime, fully insured, the moment my Paypal funds are returned, and I will diligently announce to all that you have turned out to be a stand-up guy when the chips are down. Until then I will take whatever steps available to recover my money by all legal means available. That is all.

billy tam

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 9:26 am     Jack Goodson

Dave, I don't know you but have seen your name on the forum for several years. I do however know Jack and have done business with him before. I owned the guitar you bought from Jack for at least 7 years and got it from Jack in a trade for a Legrande 11
It was my main player for most of the time I had it.
I decided about 3 1/2 years ago that it would be my last guitar and sent it to Mike Cass for a total undercarriage restoration. The Guitar come back playing like a new p/p as it did when I again traded it back to Jack(he told me in Gulfport last summer he wished he had it back) for an Emmons all pull. I have had 7 or 8 p/p Emmons over my 45 years of playing and this one was #1 or 2 as far as stability and tone. I don't believe Jack would mislead anyone nor sell an unplayable instrument. Everybody gets buyers remorse on occasion I know I have. But I don't believe in airing buy/sell issues in this manner.
Billy

Carey Harper

Lanett,Alabama USA
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 10:23 am    

Dave, I m sorry to hear about the push-pull guitar that you purchased from Jack Goodson a few weeks ago. I was at Jack s house in early June to have him do some regular maintenence on my push-pull I usually do about every 6 to 9 months and played the guitar that you bought from Jack. At that time the guitar was in perfect playing condidtion and I didn t notice anything wrong concerning the tuning keys. I m sorry you re not satisfied with the guitar. That said I can personally vouch for anything Jack has told you about the guitar. I ve known Jack for probably 25 years and never known him to deceive anyone about anything. He s always been a straight up guy and I know has sold several guitars on the forum and has never had any problems that he has not offered to satisfy and I m sure other buyers would say the same thing. I have no dog in this disagreement But Jack Goodson is a man of his word and would take anything he told me to the bank. Carey Harper

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 6 Aug 2020 11:42 am    

Guys I'm glad Jack has a good rep and friends who will stick up for him, and I am sure he meant well to the best of his knowledge, no question. The reason you are seeing this here is that when I told him this morning I could not make it work and asked him for a refund he refused, and started blaming the shippers, and ultimately me, but took no responsibility himself for the unhappy transaction. If this is how he sets up guitars no way do I want him to "take care of it" for me, anything he can do should have been done before he declared it a $4700 guitar.
I have a good rep too, one that is hard-earned over fifty years of treating people right, I have never burned anybody, have given refunds when I couldn't afford it simply because the buyer was unhappy, and as I said, I almost always take the hit and make the best of anything before causing a stir or upsetting anybody else. I've a stack of unsellable - by my standards at least - gear that has piled up over the years to testify to that fact.
And I do know my shit, friends, having rebuilt one push-pull, three Shobuds, and a Zumsteel in the past twenty years, some from nothing more than boxes of greasy parts and a slab of wood. I know how to make them work splendily, thus I kept the guitar, even after telling him it would take Lynn and another $2000 of work, thinking I could at least make it playable enough to enjoy in the meantime, but I can't. Instead it makes me angry evety time I open the case to try. Bellcranks slip on their shafts, the tuners are worn out and erratic, rods are out of place and binding or pulling sideways, not how it's done.
If one of you wants to step up and show me how much you believe in your man Jack you can send me the $4700 and I will ship it to you, exactly as I received it, fully insured and shipped fedex express. It's one of the prettiest guitars I ever saw but even opening the case only upsets me now. I don't want to look at it anymore.

Jack Goodson

Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 6:44 am     offer?

dave, according to all the comments you have made that slanders and degrades my reputation of almost 80 years, i will send you 500.00 by paypal immediately. should be more than enough to let one of your trusted techs to correct the problems that you have addressed to fix it. if i am understanding what ur saying all it needs is a couple of bellcra ks tightened or possibly replaced, levers need to be tightened which is done where the lever attaches to the mount, plus i never had any tuner problems, it is the nature of kluzion tuners. but if u need to replace some tuners, 500.00 should cover lt. i know from your attitude that if i replaced every part on the guitar you would never be satisified....thanks jack

Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 7:27 am    

You certainly have nothing to say of my attitude, sir, and your reputation here on the forum may not be nearly so stellar as you believe. Judging from the number and nature of the supportive comments I have received in response, it is apparent that you and a handful of your fellow quick-change artists have pissed off a lot of good folk here. This is no slander but in true fact your well-substantiated legacy among others who have done business on the steel guitar forum, I made nothing up and I speak only the truth.

At this point it has been made clear that I cannot expect you or any of your esteemed admirers to pony up the $4700 I paid for this hack job, you go do as you will. I will take it to Tommy Cass next week, you may send him your money if you wish, or not, I want nothing further to do with you or your slimy dollars. I gave you an opportunity to take responsibility for your own actions and your response has been nothing but denial, blame, and further mistruths, and you now top it off by accusing ME of slander. Go climb back into your hole and leave the good honest folk alone.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Aug 2020 8:35 am    

This will be further resolved offline. Topic closed.