The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ***Praise for Mr. John McClung. Professor Twang***
Darren Mortillaro

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2020 10:57 pm    

Former student of John McClung from way back in 2005. Had to cancel lessons for lack of free time, but am now re-examining all my old lesson material.

Hopefully I haven't developed too many bad techniques over the last 15 years!

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 8:33 am    

Darren, you're welcome back any time, even if just for one-off special studies of specific songs, licks, technique pointers!--- All best, Prof. Twang

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 8:49 am    

I haven’t been here on the Forum much lately.... it’s so nice to see our friend John getting these well deserved kudos!!! Hope all is well in your world John!🤟🎶👍

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2020 7:40 pm    

He can sing too. And pretty damn good.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 1:23 pm    

I will also highly recommend this course to anybody that wants to get up to speed with no weaknesses as a player, a lot of material, kind of like if you go to Berklee or one of those performance degree programs but without hundreds of $$thousands in student loans afterward!

Chris Willingham

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 24 May 2020 2:11 pm    

Another high recommendation here for John. Very nice, straight forward and a highly organized teacher. He's so much fun to bounce ideas back and forth with.

I've had three lessons and he filled in several little gaps in my playing, helped connect ideas and got me playing smoother. All great things and the cost is extremely reasonable for the amount of information and personalized teaching you get in return. If you're considering it, don't hesitate!

2021 MSA Legend XL Signature S10 5X6 brown burst
Beard Josh Swift Sig, the purple one
Lap King Rodeo
p2p Bad Dawg 1x12, Quilter TT12 and a bunch of fiddles

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 5:34 pm    

Thanks Chris, Gene, Michael, and Rick, et al, for all the very kind words! Rick Schmidt, we gotta get on writing that extended E9 book, dude!

Folks, I do have some openings in my schedule. If this pandemic puts time on your hands, now's the time to get some clarity on playing E9!

I'm of course not Paul Franklin, but I've put a lot of work and thought into conveying how I understand and learned E9, and finding ways to share it with you that work perfectly for you. A lot of what I do is customized to the student's interests and abilities, but built around a solid curriculum. 35 years playing in Los Angeles bands and clubs taught me a thing or two!

If you are committed to working hard to finally get somewhere with your E9 playing, then consider learning with me via Skype.

All best,
John McClung
Pedal Steel Lessons, Casuals, Sessions
Olympia, WA 98512
Email & PayPal fees – steelguitarlessons@earthlink.net
Website – http://steelguitarlessons.com
Skype name: professortwang
Cell & text: 310-480-0717

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 6:33 pm    

Another former student, John is the most organized teacher I have ever seen! John, I reference your teaching material regularly.

Thanks for getting me started.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 11:13 am    

Doug Taylor, you're welcome, and come back any time for special studies! How's your playing coming along?

Doug Taylor

Shelbyville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2020 12:20 pm    

My playing is going slow but steady. It is a long road I have chosen! Hope you and your family are doing good during this hard time we are in. At some point I plan to come back and finish.

Sami Parkkinen

Finland
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2020 3:54 am    

Another grateful student here. I had been playing for a year or so before I had the opportunity to jump in and start with John.

He immediately saw (nothing escapes his eye) where I was at and corrected my technique in a few important ways plus offered a clear path which to follow, resulting in major progress in my playing very fast.

His curriculum also keeps evolving as he’s incessantly updating the lessons.

And as many others have stated on this thread, he truly cares about his students and sees that every step is both taken and understood before proceeding. Thank you John!

Sam LoBue

Portland, OR
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2023 2:18 pm    

I just finished a round of E9 101 lessons with John McClung (AKA Professor Twang), and wanted to share my thoughts.

My background is in low brass (I have degrees and performed professionally), but I found steel bewildering. After working with the Professor, I've got the basics down. I have tools that allow me to play confidently and creatively. His lessons are well structured and thorough. I found a lot of value in his practice exercises, accompaniment tracks, as well as all the lesson PDFs. We worked on pick/palm blocking, fundamental chord grips, the Nashville Number System, intonation, transcriptions, and any questions I brought to our lessons.

On a personal note, the Professor is critical (which is key to making actual progress), yet encouraging and friendly. I looked forward to our lessons every time. He doesn't make you call him the Professor btw, I'm just using that moniker for levity Smile

I feel thankful to have studied steel with John.

Ron Hall

Montpelier, VA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2023 12:57 pm    

I've been working with John now for for a little over a year and it's been a game changer for me! I'm now playing with 2 different bands and there's no way I could've pulled this off without the lessons I've gotten from him so far. John doesn't just teach you how to be a better steel player, but a total musician and how to function as a productive member of a working band. I highly recommend his course for both the beginning steel player to get the core concepts right from the start and for more experienced players who need to tighten up their game.