| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |
Sept 14: The Hotmail/MSN Email problem has been fixed.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I won another Million!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 6:21 pm    

Second time this year! How lucky can a guy be?

Jeffrey Smith

Harvest, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 6:42 pm    

Yeah... that's what I'd do if I won the powerball... pick some stranger at random and give them $1m. Ha! And yet... someone somewhere falls for these things or they wouldn't keep sending 'em.

Jeff
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 6:53 pm    

I'm jealous. I haven't won in three years.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 7:23 pm    

I like this part...

"I do not want to be in any media spotlight during this period of restrictions and lockdown"

Ha! I wonder why? Most crooks don't want media spotlight.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 3:40 am    

Just contact his lawyers, Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 4:02 am    

"Bill Lawrence" is a weird name for a Nigerian prince.
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 4:05 am    

Well, you might as well send him all your personal information. What could possibly go wrong?

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 4:13 am    

When I get a scam phone call I ask straight up "Which do you want first, the account number or the password?" and they hang up.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 7:01 am    

Quote:
When I get a scam phone call I ask...

You mean you still answer the phone? Cool I quit doing that years ago. Everything goes to voicemail. I only pick up if it's a family member or a bandmate. This latest million $ scam came as a text message and that's a little unnerving. Needless to say, that number is now blocked along with hundreds of others I have blocked.
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 10:22 am    

Bill has been busy on the "interwebs", Doug. Here's another prize-winning letter I found on a search. In this one he doesn't seem so bothered about having his lawyer in Venezuela handle all of the arrangements and you can evidently contact him directly.

Sent: Friday, February 28, 2020 8:47 AM
Subject: Re: $1MILLION DONATION TO YOU.

We bring greetings to you in the name of the lord. This message is sent to you as a notification that you have been chosen to benefit from our charity project aimed at touching lives and helping those that we can across the world as God has blessed us.

I won the Powerball lottery of $150Million on November 2, 2019 and I have voluntarily decided to donate the sum of $10Million to charity, I try to reach people randomly from different sources and modes so as to touch lives from different angles, Hence you are getting a message here.

You have been listed as one of the lucky recipients to receive $1M This donation is made out to you so to enable you strengthen your personal issues and mostly to generously help us extend hands of giving to the less privileged, orphans and charity organizations within your locality

To verify
https://www.powerball.com/winner-story/150-million-powerball-ticket-claimed

Get back to me on how to receive the donation

Thanks
Bill Lawrence
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 11:11 am    

That link contains the magic word "winner-story" - says it all Smile
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 12:12 pm    

Quote:
We bring greetings to you in the name of the lord.

This guy’s going straight to hell when he dies. Surprised
Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 12:16 pm    

He meant Lord Darth Vader, Doug Smile
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 12:58 pm    

May the farce be with him! Surprised
Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 3:06 pm    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
When I get a scam phone call I ask...

You mean you still answer the phone? Cool I quit doing that years ago. Everything goes to voicemail. I only pick up if it's a family member or a bandmate. This latest million $ scam came as a text message and that's a little unnerving. Needless to say, that number is now blocked along with hundreds of others I have blocked.

No answering machine for us - it just gives them something to make their pitch to.

We have caller ID, and the ringer volume is off. When we see "missed call", we look to see who it was. If it's someone we care about, we'll call back.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 3:13 pm    

I do Not miss the good old days... prior to answering machines, caller ID, and voicemail. We were like slaves to the telephone. We would drop everything and run to answer the phone, and it was often a telemarketer! Mad
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 6:31 pm    

I will vote for any politician that promises to outlaw ROBO calls.
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 3 Aug 2020 8:18 pm    

I thought Bill Lawrence made pickups?

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 4:42 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
I do Not miss the good old days... prior to answering machines, caller ID, and voicemail. We were like slaves to the telephone. We would drop everything and run to answer the phone, and it was often a telemarketer! Mad

Plus, when you were a kid you could bug the heck out of somebody who made you mad, just by calling their number over and over and they couldn't tell who it was! Laughing

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 5:22 am    

The good old days were tough for dating though. It was definitely a crapshoot after getting your courage up and actually dialing her family's number and trying to get through to the girl of your dreams in your high school class. You had the surprise element before caller ID so they couldn't blow you off instantly by not answering but most likely you'd have to do the "Eddie Haskell" thing and sweet talk your way past Mom or Dad who answered the phone to actually get to talk to their daughter.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 6:58 am    

Quote:
...you'd have to do the "Eddie Haskell" thing and sweet talk your way past Mom or Dad who answered the phone to actually get to talk to their daughter.

Yes, and nowadays she'd have her own cell phone, and texting and facebook and instagram messaging... Laughing
Jeff Garden

Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 7:03 am    

Doug Beaumier wrote:
Quote:
...you'd have to do the "Eddie Haskell" thing and sweet talk your way past Mom or Dad who answered the phone to actually get to talk to their daughter.

Yes, and nowadays she'd have her own cell phone, and texting and facebook and instagram... Laughing

and would block me on everything on my first try haha!
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 7:06 am    

Yeah, and all the other guys could reach her on social media as well. Surprised
Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 11:28 am    

When I have time, I try to keep the spam callers on the line as long as I can. I figure if every single person did this, they would all go out of business.

Typical calls:

Intro: "Marryat Hotels offers you a free stay at their premium resort Hotels!"

I hit "1".
The person calling of course is not with Marryat Hotels but with, allegedly, a resort in Mexico.

"Would you like to take advantage of this free holiday Mr. Montgomery? Just get you credit card for a small payment on the tax value of this vacation package."

Me: "Oh goody, let me go get my card!" Then I put down the phone for awhile and go back to work, making noises so they know I'm still around. I've kept them on as long as 15 minutes with different excuses while looking for my card.

Credit card calls:
"Because of your good credit, you qualify for 1% on your credit card!"

I hit "1" and some guy with, I'm assuming, a Pakistany accent, tells me to log onto a website. He is in a war room with what sounds like a couple dozen guys talking in the background.

The website is of course a ransom-ware site. So I feign like I'm typing in the website. "I get nothing but an error". He repeats the address. I put the phone down, and do some more work. He says "Sir, are you on the website?"
And I say, "Yes, I'm real slow on these darn computers, I'm trying. . . ." And this sometimes goes on for ten minutes, but eventually ends in f-bombs and "death to america" threats. Sometimes our back-and-forth insults go on for quite awhile. I've even cracked them up with my insults to them that involve sometimes a pig, a dog, their mother, or just their cause.

It is really quite fun sport. I recommend it. If everyone wasted their time, they'd never sell, steal, or ransom a thing.

Happy Hunting!

(and if you want to have some pro-active fun, call this phony Amazon fraud # and mess with them
786-648-6308 )

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2020 1:28 pm    

Brooks, I've heard of guys stringing along the scammers who claim to be from the government collecting back taxes allegedly owed. The phonys say agents are on the way to your house right now to make an arrest but if you make a payment over the phone, he'll call them off, and so on.

The "victim" strings the scammer along a while and then tells him "You'd better send more agents. There's 5 of us here, we're heavily armed, and you'll never take us alive!" Laughing