The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Help with Remington Steel Sustainmaster
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 7:52 pm    

A friend bought this guitar for his grandson and asked if I could help remedy a problem. When tuning the nylon tuners, they are tight to the point of torquing the brass bushings out of the slot in the cross member. I’m going to remove all of the tuners and give them a little shot of Vaseline, but do the brass collars with the springs need to be adjusted to put more tension to hold the other collar in the slot? This is the first time I’ve seen this type of undercarriage!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2020 9:50 pm    

It's worth a try if your lubing doesn't help. Another alternative would be to open the holes in the nylon tuners just a little. To do that, you'd need a micrometer to measure the bit diameter and a good selection of small drill bits. Start with a bit that will go easily into the tuner and go up only a few thousandths at a time. Use a Spin-Tite to hold the nuts while you drill them.

(You can also lube the threads by removing the nuts and rubbing a bar of soap over the threads. That's a little neater than using Vaseline.)

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 8:29 am    

I owned a Remington Sustainmaster and the rodding mechanism was nothing like what is being shown. Mine had the traditional changer-rodding setup.

Is it possible this is someones custom mechanism?

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 9:28 am    

Tom, I’m like you, never seen anything quite like this. There are no additional holes in the side rails to accommodate cross shafts, so if this is a custom mechanism, there was a multitude of changes made to the original.

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 10:04 am    

Original Remington undercarriage for sure.

Looks exactly same undercarriage as my 20+ yr Remington S10LG (built like a tank) Am the only owner and I got it ordered from Remington, built to the setup I wanted.

Those springs and washer can be compressed to give more tension so the brass "roller" on the other side doesnt slip.

Most important thing to remember is to keep pedals/levers engaged when adjusting nylon tuners because the changer finger will provide extra tension on the rod so as not to let that brass "roller" twist around.

B.Erlandsen

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2020 6:36 pm    

Thanks, Bengt! I’ll be sure to pass that information along to the owner.