The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Indiana Help
Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 10:25 am    

Hey guys, one of my best friends and musicians just accepted a job at Honeywell in Muncie Indiana. He has to relocate from Baton Rouge LA to that area. I think he is really looking to live somewhere between Muncie and Indianapolis. Can anyone make any suggestions for a good area to live in? Thanks for your help.

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 1:06 pm    

Pendleton In. is 28 miles from Muncie, about 37 miles from Indy to Pendleton. I hope he likes cold, snowy winters.
I live in Indy from '75 to '81. There was a lot of music there back then, I heard there's not much now and not just because of the pandemic.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2020 3:04 pm    

I live in Indiana and am going to my brother’s place in Muncie tomorrow. I know Indiana pretty well as I travelled throughout it quite a bit for my job before retiring.

Muncie is alright in that it does have Ball State. It’s had some hard times politically due to dishonest city officials getting caught by the Feds. Pendleton is good. Indy? I dunno, I guess it’s a good place to visit but I wouldn’t want to live there. I’m not the biggest fan of big cities.

Randy Owens

West Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2020 2:31 pm    

I grew up just north of Muncie near Albany and lived in that area for 45 years. I agree with Eric in that Muncie is a hot mess of political corruption. If it were me, I'd live in the other direction. I would look north around Albany, Hartford City or Portland or east toward Selma, Winchester etc. It depends on your friend's lifestyle too. There are executive type homes and golf course communities in the Yorktown area which is west of Muncie. There are ranch homes in the country too.

Finding a home north of Muncie will help them avoid the commuter's nightmare which is Interstate 69 from Anderson all the way to I-465 at Indy.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2020 5:20 am    

Randy makes some good points. A big one is about whether your friend’s home location will require commuting on I-69 north to Muncie. I-69 from Indy up to around Pendleton is an absolute nightmare during rush hour. Every.......single......day......bar.....none.

Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2020 6:57 am     Re: Indiana Help

Danny Harrell wrote:
Hey guys, one of my best friends and musicians just accepted a job at Honeywell in Muncie Indiana. He has to relocate from Baton Rouge LA to that area. I think he is really looking to live somewhere between Muncie and Indianapolis. Can anyone make any suggestions for a good area to live in? Thanks for your help.

Yea; about a thousand miles south.